It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to lose vote at UNESCO, incurs debts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

PARIS (AP) — American influence in culture, science and education around the world is facing a high-profile blow Friday as the U.S. is stripped of its voting rights at the world's cultural agency, UNESCO. And it would cost the U.S. hundreds of millions of dollars to win this voice back.

The U.S. hasn't paid its dues to the Paris-based U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization in three years, in protest over the decision by world governments to make Palestine a UNESCO member in 2011.

Under UNESCO rules, the U.S. has until Friday morning to resume funding, or it automatically loses its vote.

The suspension of U.S. contributions, which account for $80 million a year — 22 percent of UNESCO's overall budget — brought the agency t

US to lose vote at UNESCO, incurs debts

This is hardly a news, as it was expected after we have cut our funding of UNESCO due to UNESCO recognizing Palestine as country. (Only USA and Israel cut funding over this)

ATS followed those news back in the day - here are some links to discussions:

UNESCO votes for Palestinian Statehood

Unesco gives Palestinians full membership (Israel rejects the decision)

U.S. cuts funding for UNESCO after Palestinian vote

I hope we get some sense and resume funding UNESCO. They reported that other countries started giving more, thus reducing founding problem they experienced once USA cut founding (about 22%). This is clear example what will happen if we manage to isolate ourselves.

edit on 8-11-2013 by SuperFrog because: Fixed spelling

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

Like I care if we cut off funding (notice the spelling btw) to UNESCO. I'm tired of America being at the forefront in supporting these "world causes" then getting disrespected. America's message is being heard loud and clear. You bite the hand that feeds you, we will put you down, both literally and figuratively. Let's see how well UNESCO does without its biggest contributor and let's see how long that replacement funding last.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
One day, people will realize that America doesn't give a # about any other country other than Israel. When that day happens, the sooner the better - We can start Vetoing everything Israel and America want, maybe things will change

When its constantly the same two countries ##SNIPPED## (America/Israel) Then maybe them two countries need categorizing as the same country, which are not out for the better of humanity, but the segregation and inhumane living standards of millions of people.

Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review
edit on Fri Nov 8 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: 15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

BeliefInReality

Like I care if we cut off funding (notice the spelling btw) to UNESCO. I'm tired of America being at the forefront in supporting these "world causes" then getting disrespected. America's message is being heard loud and clear. You bite the hand that feeds you, we will put you down, both literally and figuratively. Let's see how well UNESCO does without its biggest contributor and let's see how long that replacement funding last.

Thing is that they survived 2 years already, and as I have already said - other countries adjusted their contributions or they cut some program support off. Don't forget, many of UNESCO programs previously backed by USA , including Holocaust and genocide awareness program in Africa is being slashed.

Sooner we understand that we are part of world and that we can't force everyone else to adjust to what we want - better.

Thank you for noticing, irony is that we were part of founding of UNESCO...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

BeliefInReality

"Forefront of supporting these causes"
Masked with empathy and love, but truly wanting segregation and world dominance.

"Americas message is been heard loud and clear"
Boom Boom Bang.... Yeah their been heard alright, at the cost of your own tax money and hundreds of thousands of civilians lives.

"Bite the hands that feed you"
You don't feed # mate, in fact nobody want you to feed # all, notice how your getting chucked out of it...Duh"

" we will put you down"
They will probably do that to their own civilians (you, LOL) before that happens meight

"Let's see how well UNESCO does without its biggest contributor and let's see how long that replacement funding last."
Maybe you're reading a different article, but UNESCO have been doing just fine since the world police stopped paying in 2011.

You my American friend, are a stereotypical American, you do the millions of great people over there no justice what so ever. You are the spitting image of the wrong attitude which your country is tainted with.

I pity your mind frame.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

No disrespect to you. I'm just saying that the US gives more money to third world countries and humanitarian causes than any other country in the world. Maybe it's time we step back and let others contribute more. I'm not preaching total isolationism, I'm just saying we should be more selective in who we give funding to.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

BeliefInReality

"World causes" such as Montsanto, illegal drone strikes and the mess you still have yet to deal with in Bhopal. As far as I am concerned, you should be locked out of any and all world organisations. You, as a nation, have done more to destroy what is good about humanity than any other.

As for your "put you down" diatribe, you couldn't "put down" a fly, you can't afford the swat.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

BeliefInReality

No disrespect to you. I'm just saying that the US gives more money to third world countries and humanitarian causes than any other country in the world. Maybe it's time we step back and let others contribute more. I'm not preaching total isolationism, I'm just saying we should be more selective in who we give funding to.

Yeah maybe if you stopped subsidizing banks, causing wars, aiding other countries - Maybe then you wouldn't be facing another great depression

Yeah I'm from the UK where we're just as bad, but at least I'm aware of the wrong doings my country does. You seem to be oblivious to the real world buddy. In fact, you signature shows that you already have a guard up about subjects this forum creates. You need an open mind and open heart for these boards.

I may have gone a little balls deep on you in my last post, but it angered me and I apologize for been so blunt.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

BeliefInReality

You can give as much money as you wan't, doesn't change the fact that the US fundamentally evil in nearly every respect.

The world doesn't need you, go into isolationism for a few hundred years and let humanity progress.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

BeliefInReality

Sorry, but I am just under impression that you are missing point here. Point is not that we stopped funding one world-wide organization that is trying to make better world trough providing some basic needs to millions and educating poor on tolerance.

Point here is LAW in USA that automatically de-funded this organization because it recognized Palestine. This law was highly lobbied by Israel, almost to say, purchased.

I don't expect that we can 'purchase' respect of others, nor I think that we should be 'selective' about who to help. We should help those who NEED help.

Also, sorry, we can disagree, but that does not mean that I disrespect you. With all due respects...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

BeliefInReality
I'm just saying that the US gives more money to third world countries and humanitarian causes than any other country in the world. Maybe it's time we step back and let others contribute more. I'm not preaching total isolationism, I'm just saying we should be more selective in who we give funding to.

We (the US) are not giving aid so much as we are buying influence. We make offers to other countries they can't refuse.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Erongaricuaro

BeliefInReality
I'm just saying that the US gives more money to third world countries and humanitarian causes than any other country in the world. Maybe it's time we step back and let others contribute more. I'm not preaching total isolationism, I'm just saying we should be more selective in who we give funding to.

We (the US) are not giving aid so much as we are buying influence. We make offers to other countries they can't refuse.

And should they dare to refuse? Look at Iraq, Libya, Iran...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Haha, WOW!

The US governing body is willing to recognize Isreal as it's own country but not Palestine? Talk about assinine. Hey, if Isreal is able to get land carved out of another country due to myths and folklore shouldn't natives get their own slice of land converted to their country from another country of their choosing?

Just think of American sliced to a third. Yea, if I was Palestinian i'd be pissy to. But it's all good, we are watching the death throws of the Western Empires, i just hope that whatever emerges will be better but history says nahh.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Act1Scene1

This quote right here....

You, as a nation, have done more to destroy what is good about humanity than any other.

is the trueist quote you will read anywhere.

The rest of the world has (finally) woken up to the fact that america/americanism is an unhealthy influence on world politics. We dont need america at the forefront of anything. Russia sorted out-through dialogue- the recent north korea and iranian "crisis's" where america/israel wanted a pre emptive strike.
We all know the mess they've made in afghanistan and iraq.
America should try taking a back seat, and let the world run itself, instead of trying to influence policy

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Palestine was never offcially a state to begin with. Unofficially sure....

And the UN is corrupt to the core run by bilderbergers. Rich people own every major international organisation.

UNESCO is no exception! The hell with it.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This whole thing is just stupid...
We just went threw a shut down over lack of money in our coffers and these guys come begging for handouts...

If anyone in Washington were silly enough to write UNESCO a check that person should be bitch-slapped publicly then made to personally reimburse us tax payers for wasting our money on yet another unnecessary pork-barrel project

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

HardCorps
We just went threw a shut down over lack of money in our coffers and these guys come begging for handouts...

If anyone in Washington were silly enough to write UNESCO a check that person should be bitch-slapped publicly then made to personally reimburse us tax payers for wasting our money on yet another unnecessary pork-barrel project

Nobody is begging for handouts, just that you comply with the rules of an organisation you are a founding member of.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

Wow, ignorant or what...
No-one went looking for a hand out
America didnt abide by the rules (again) by not paying its dues

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

US should withdraw from the UN... but, that ain't about to happen.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

HardCorps

As Act1Scene1 pointed out, no one is begging.

IMHO, they did what was to expect, remove our vote from organization that we are not supporting anymore even we were one of founding members..

I would not be surprised if Russia or China picks where we left, and than you will cray about us loosing our influence in the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join