It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying on Ebay (beware of fine print)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
On ebay a few hours ago and i noticed a xbox 360 for sale it looked legit until i noticed the fine print,

also i am regarding the TOS and will not put a link to this sale because it is possible illegal , i will just put the fine print in for you guys to read.

fine print follows

==============================================================================================

By accepting this and purchasing this "Item" you have agreed that you have fully read and understood the following clauses in the said print.

" I acknowledge that I the buyer am fully aware that this is just a photograph (digital) of the Item and i am willing and able to pay the listing price. I the buyer hereby waive all legal courses of action against the seller, I the buyer fully consent to this transaction and i am aware of the facts of the clause that is made abundant by the Seller.

"By submitting my payment I the buyer considers this to be my digital signature and i will take no Legal, or Civil action towards the seller. If I the buyer fail the agreement and do in fact take any legal or civil action be it lawsuit, claim, settlement, reimbursement, counterclaim, threats of malice, harm, mental or emotional. or any iteration of retribution, i the buyer will be required to:

1.) pay the amount of One-thousand eight-hundred and forty five us dollars and zero cents.

2.) give all personal, business assets to the seller

3.) stay physically away from the seller at a distance of 100 miles (60 kilometers) away from the seller at all times indefinably."

the buyer is the: person, male, female, trans-gender, entity, group, collective, cooperation, human (homo-sapien) , terran, animal, plant-life, spirit, other dimensional being, demon, angel or extra-terestrial alien, that places an order to purchase the item, or is whom that funds the purchase.

- the item is listed as an xbox-360 but is only a photographic representation of said item. (ie this is a digital photograph of an xbox-360

I the buyer consider this a legally binding contract that will last untill December 29th 5013 A.D. (3000 Years) (Three Thousand Years).

=====================================================================================================

so what you guys think about this, i thought it was quite good, but what if the buyer did file a claim would he really be subject to the penalties.? would a judge throw this out of court, or throw the book at the bewildered buyer?

edit on 7-11-2013 by Craninalbliss because: typos

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I would imagine his terms would be deemed unfair, especially as he didnt tell you in the product descrption it was a photo you were bidding on.

Im pretty sure this is a common scam, just report it to ebay and let them deal with it.

Its a silly scare attempt, they try and convince the person they have tried to scam that you can write anything and its lawful. Dont pay, pay a fine......lose your worldy possessions, pay and recieve the over priced photo and take it as experience.

I wouldnt be intimidated by something that sounds so unrealistic, id..............id erm, probably just not pay, and then wait and see if the morons started a court action. I dont think it would stand up in court, yea you signed it, but they are unrealistic expectations.
edit on 7-11-2013 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Craninalbliss

It must be with this seller. We buy and sell on e bay all the time. We just request the buyer pay the shipping. Sports cards.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
welcome to the internet you've been trolled
2nd line

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
You could report false titles.

If its Photograph it should say "This is a Brand new XBOX 360 - Photo Only".

It is in Ebays rules.

This is illegal activity and not done often. I have used it 3 yrs and never seen one.

But i do remember stories about it, the seller still lost the case.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Got to admit, he's got some ingenuity.

edit on 7-11-2013 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I've had mostly positive experiences when buying on ebay.

The negative experiences usually involves toner cartridges where they post a picture of a branded cartridge but, send you a refill .

There it is in fine print (very, fine, tiny print)

(this is a refilled cartridge)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

MrLimpet

The negative experiences usually involves toner cartridges where they post a picture of a branded cartridge but, send you a refill .

Do your own refill. Only cost not even .99 cents to refill a $30 cartridge. And works the same way as refilled cartridge. I do it all the time. Can't do it with a laser printer though.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
And you are thinking about buying an xbox 360 for $1845.00 off eBay? I'll sell you 2 xbox's and give you a pic of both for that price.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Diabolical

MrLimpet

Do your own refill. Only cost not even .99 cents to refill a $30 cartridge. And works the same way as refilled cartridge. I do it all the time. Can't do it with a laser printer though.

That's the problem. I have a laser printer.

In my experience, the remanufactured/refilled lasers cartridge's are terrible.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I do not think Ebay would allow such a thing... I would contact Ebay. As a seller I am extremely careful with my advertisements because of Ebay buyer protection so I make certain to give plenty of pictures with accurate descriptions and measurements etc because if the buyer gets something different in any way than what you have advertised you have to refund their money.

Ebay does protect their buyers so anything that seems like a scam you should report to Ebay and they should take care of it!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Report to Ebay - they'll shut it down...it's deceptive...the seller knows it's deceptive & that's why they bothered to include the wall of pseudo-legal mumbo jumbo so they can hope it holds up if they get sued...

If the seller keeps trying this I guarantee Ebay will shut them down - they don't give a crap about their sellers & approach disputes with the view that the buyer is always right...as a previous Ebay seller, I know from experience.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

MrLimpet

Diabolical

MrLimpet

That's the problem. I have a laser printer.

In my experience, the remanufactured/refilled lasers cartridge's are terrible.

Hmm, I've bought them and I've never had a problem, and they always last long too. I still get the laser cartridges for cheap compared to the original price.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
If you ever go searching for smartphones on ebay you will run into this kind of thing as well. I think it's the only category I have seen it in and I have seen it a few times. I often wonder how many times they get by with it simply because the buyer felt like they had no recourse "since it warned you before you hit buy". One should ALWAYS read the teeny tiny print on everything they bid on on ebay, but we all know there are those that do not.

If half of these folks put that kind of effort into something positive... we might have another Tesla by now.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

You are able to report them as well as give them a score. I would do both if I were you.They will then be banned from selling on ebay.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I am a long time seller on ebay. Power seller, 100% feedback and Top seller status (the highest customer satisfaction scores possible).

My advice is to steer clear of anyone listing items for sale with such insane jibberish.

There are plenty of sellers on ebay that will bend over backwards to have you as a happy customer.

I would gladly be one of them if I hade the item you were seeking. (sorry, no xboxes for sale)

edit on 7-11-2013 by grubblesnert because: (no reason given)

top topics

join