It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Traits Aliens Must Have According To Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
:interesting article

Aggressiveness
Explorers
Viral And Bacterial Immunity
They Won’t Eat Humans
Impersonal Killers
Not Giant Insects
Super Intelligence
Non-Humanoid
Speech And Writing
No Super Strength

If you believe what Hollywood tells us about alien life forms you’ll probably assume they’d be giant, slimy and really, really anti-human. As scientists don’t make a lot of movies, and movie producers aren’t typically awesome at science, this isn’t a very accurate portrayal of the interstellar life that’s at all likely to ever reach Earth.

Don’t get me wrong, it probably still won’t go well for us, but the faces of the creatures that would change our world forever will look very different to how we’ve imagined them. To set the record straight, great minds like Stephen Hawking and his contemporaries have given their opinions on what traits an alien race would have to possess in order to make it across the galaxy and pay a visit to the human homeworld.

listverse.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

What about an Extraterrestrial Empire run by Religion and Religious Zealots or in other words a theocracy like the Covenant From Halo.

The Covenant, also referred to as the Covenant Empire[4] or Covenant Hegemony,[5] was a religious hegemony of multiple alien species that controlled a large portion of the Orion Arm in the Milky Way Galaxy. Originally a mutual alliance between the San 'Shyuum and the Sangheili, the Covenant expanded to include at least six other races united in the worship of the Forerunners and the Halo Array. They waged a genocidal campaign against humanity until they were defeated in December of 2552. Despite being ostensibly the most powerful military force in the known Milky Way galaxy at the time, internal conflict combined with stubborn human resistance were formidable enough to shatter the bonds that held the empire together. While the Covenant's original leadership was lost either during the Flood infection of High Charity or during the Battle of Installation 00, a prominent remnant faction which maintains many of the ideals of the Covenant's religion as well as many of its former subject species, continues to exist after the conclusion of the war.[6][7]

www.halopedia.org...

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

interupt42
Aggressiveness
Explorers
They Won’t Eat Humans
Impersonal Killers
Not Giant Insects
Super Intelligence
Non-Humanoid
Speech And Writing
No Super Strength

I disagree with some of these as there's a variety of distinctions to be considered when discussing "Aliens" in the broad sense.

For instance, there's Machine Intelligence aliens, however they may have come about.

Machines wouldn't need Viral/Bacterial immunity as it's a non-issue except where viral code is concerned.

Machines COULD eat people. We kinda have them right now:
Military Researchers Develop Corpse-Eating Robots
Additionally there's this little guy:
Scientists Invent Robot that Eats Organic Matter then Poops It Out
Thus, in a pinch, machine Aliens could munch us for fuel.

Machine Aliens very well could look like giant insects and be so sophisticated in development such they appear more biological than machine.

Machines wouldn't necessarily require speech, though they'd have multiple means to communicate with each other, and may not even recognize aural signalling as anything more than unintelligible animal noises.

Machine Aliens very well could be the embodiment of super strength.

Further, considering the harsh realities of space, if there are aliens floating about, there's likely a high probability for more alien machines of various and sundry automation than biological aliens, from dumb static programmed little probes like our Voyager, up to fully cognizant self-aware AI capable of self replication and repair as well as adaptability, and even investigation and assimilation of any foreign technologies encountered.

Now, if anyone wants to be picky and only discuss biological aliens, there's still room for non-compliance to some of these terms.

Viral and Bacterial Immunity is a given with alin bugs from alien homeworld, but, not necessarily so as it applies to foreign bugs.

No Eating Humans?
Our biologies could very well be similar such that we could be edible. Water and Carbon, are quite very common in the Universe, stuff we're made out of, and life we recognize as life has a fair probability for having the same as quite a bit does boil down to chemistry, and the chemistry of us is quite versatile such that there's plenty room for aliens to be made from the same stuff, organized similarly such that we might just be as tasty as bacon. Consider also the Aggressiveness listed at the top of the list.
Thus, us being bacon isn't off the list.

Impersonal killers?
I'd say it's a coin toss here. On one hand there's the argument of civilization recognizing the benefits of civilization and cooperation over competition, and on the other there's Species dominance, and psychologies so 'alien' we'd be incapable of ever understanding them to a point of empathy, nor they us.

Super intelligence?
I don't think this is necessarily a requirement.
Any space faring technological civilization only needs to be on par with our own dreadfully average cognitive horsepower, punctuated by the odd geniuses that inch and creep any civilization along in building on past tried and true, little step, by little step.
For instance, where would WE be right now, if we were just a little bit LESS smart than we are, but, we got our start some 300 Million Years ago instead of the dinosaurs ever happening?
In the last 100 years our pace of development has been recognizably astounding, but, that only comes from building off all the discoveries and knowledge that's come before, step by step.
Also, regardless our level of intelligence, we have machines doing our 'thinking' for us to compensate for our handicaps. Aliens could do the same and just as we do, use thinking machines/computers for all the brute force raw computational stuff and data storage.

Non-Humanoid?
Hey, we have ostriches! We also have kangaroos! Bipedal locomotion might not be that uncommon, and forelimbs with dexterous manipulation appendages could very well result from bipedalism.
Hey, if those raptor dinosaurs had another 300 million years, who knows, they could have adapted and eventually came to be somewhat anthropomorphic or humanoid looking.

Speech?
Come on. We already know ants communicate using pheromones, as well as dogs, and cats, and some other animals. Aural signalling through speech might not be a necessity.
Additionally, ants have even been using TCP protocol since, well, probably before dinosaurs existed:
Stanford Biologist and Computer Scientist Discover 'Anternet'

Anything coming from a planet with a bit more mass than our own will likely have a hardier build, as well as more strength. They might not have Superman Super Strength, but, they could very well possibly pick up a Grizzly Bear by the scruff and toss it some meters.

... and that doesn't even include all the microbial, dumb, primitive and animal aliens we might encounter on their own planets if we ever get out to exploring in person.

edit on 11/7/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Aggressiveness
Explorers
They Won’t Eat Humans
Impersonal Killers
Not Giant Insects
Super Intelligence
Non-Humanoid
Speech And Writing
No Super Strength

Aggressive versus Assertive and Peaceful, higher levels are peaceful, though there are rogue elements that leave groups and more fascist negative planets, there are wonderful ones.

Assume some have viral and bacterial sensitivity and don't use bathrooms like we do, they would be equipped with gear and outfits to protect, and make use of advanced sciences.

Eat humans? We frankly don't know. That suggests that predators can't have higher tech. Whereas, as above so below, look at our leaders and TPB, they are not a very nice group, and they've hoarded tech for themselves.

Impersonal killers. Only if they're renegades.

Giant insects? They really think our science is all there is, its anthill. There are insectoids.

Intelligence, yes. They would have this.

Most ARE humanoid. Pretty hard to beat this form for use of technology.

Speech and Writing. Telepathy is the norm on higher levels.

No super strength? Well, some forms are quite strong, and their equipment is also far superior to ours. Imagine a 9 foot tall being in bio armour!

And this is only the non AI or Bot side, they also have robotics, vastly superior to ours.

The whole list is guesses and nonsense.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

No Eating Humans?
Our biologies could very well be similar such that we could be edible. Water and Carbon, are quite very common in the Universe, stuff we're made out of, and life we recognize as life has a fair probability for having the same as quite a bit does boil down to chemistry, and the chemistry of us is quite versatile such that there's plenty room for aliens to be made from the same stuff, organized similarly such that we might just be as tasty as bacon. Consider also the Aggressiveness listed at the top of the list.

I think we're safe from getting eaten. If there smart enough to planet hop there smart enough to learn we've been infected by Monsanto. No alien in there right mind would want to take that back home to their families.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

interupt42
:interesting article

Aggressiveness
Explorers
They Won’t Eat Humans
Impersonal Killers
Not Giant Insects
Super Intelligence
Non-Humanoid
Speech And Writing
No Super Strength

If you believe what Hollywood tells us about alien life forms you’ll probably assume they’d be giant, slimy and really, really anti-human. As scientists don’t make a lot of movies, and movie producers aren’t typically awesome at science, this isn’t a very accurate portrayal of the interstellar life that’s at all likely to ever reach Earth.

Don’t get me wrong, it probably still won’t go well for us, but the faces of the creatures that would change our world forever will look very different to how we’ve imagined them. To set the record straight, great minds like Stephen Hawking and his contemporaries have given their opinions on what traits an alien race would have to possess in order to make it across the galaxy and pay a visit to the human homeworld.

listverse.com...

What about the almighty Imperium in the year 40,000?

"All hail the Emperor!!!"

Warhammer 40k

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Very nice and well thought out responses. I agree that we cannot put our trust in our list, for reasons already stated. Also because, whenever "Stephen Hawking" is involved, I take extra caution since (and this.is also the reason I.feel.I must use quotations around Stephens name) we have no way of knowing what or who the messages coming from his machine are coming from. It's a machine. It can be hacked. And when this bs is being said by supposedly one of the smartest guys in the world, I have to wonder why. It seems to be an agenda to mislead us. Then again, maybe he is just really smart at astrophysics and stuff, but not very good at...I dunno...other stuff.

We don't have the ability to make a definitive list like this. Unless they know something we don't, like they met aliens or something... This article is just a way to make some money off peoples interest in aliens. And for them to repeat the mantra of "we know things because we are scientists. yes even the unknowable. we are like gods compared to a normalhuman don't you know?"

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Rosinitiate

AliceBleachWhite

No Eating Humans?

I think we're safe from getting eaten. If there smart enough to planet hop there smart enough to learn we've been infected by Monsanto. No alien in there right mind would want to take that back home to their families.

Haha , maybe Monsanto is the good guy than. Monsanto new slogan "In order to save humanity you must slowly kill humanity."

They Won’t Eat Humans

The journey to earth from any potentially life-supporting planet is incredibly long, and for any species to attempt it they would have to have sustainable food production methods already in place.

Only if they take the long and direct route. So if they just show up using worm holes or other unknown methods to us at present then we are Bacon.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Mmmmm bacon...

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
As far as Hollywood goes with its own ideas, it usually involved with violence, gore, and teeth. Aliens could vary in different ways, even if they were from the same planet, they could vary from each other. Like dogs and wolves, or polar bears to grizzlies.

Aggressiveness could vary for tons of reason. Their is a difference between plain aggression and assertiveness.

Explorers is a no brainer, I mean, I explored my closet and found crap I haven't seen in years.

Viral and bacterial? Come on, who doesn't. I mean, the Europeans spreaded diseases to the aztecs/mayans/or aborginals. And to aztecs, they were thought of being sent by some high power the first little while. That is till they pillaged in the name of Christ.

As for eating humans...Maybe they didn't like that person enough, or we just taste awful, just like how sharks find us distasteful.

Insects...Being technological...No. But Biologically evolve like the Rachni from Mass Effect, or the Zerg, then they must have been around since the universe is born, to even adapt to space travel.

Super Intelligence...Who knows what they know!

Non-humanoid I find is nothing more then just hollywood. Although I'm going by the assumption that most technological species are bi-pedal, since they need physical effort to build.

Speech and writing...Hmmmmm.... I thought they were psychic? Who knows.

And super strength...Ether they genetically modified themselves to be faster and stronger, or they could have mechanical augmentations. I don't think blobs can build anything, which is also supposedly termed "thinking outside the box".

Depends on the species I guess, some could be much stronger because of genetic evolution, while other species could be couch potatoes for the next billion years...Which probably would force them to be blobs.

Hollywood is just hollywood, it doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be appealing to make money.
edit on 7-11-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join