It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How tenacity, a wall saved a Japanese nuclear plant from meltdown after tsunami.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Not Fukushima of course, but another plant much closer to the epicenter in Onagawa, Japan.

Survived unharmed, How?

The builders of the plant refused to bow to corporate greed.

According to a retired civil engineer I interviewed in March, there's one man to thank for averting a catastrophe worse than Fukushima, which spewed radiation across an area where 100,000 people still can't return home.

He is Yanosuke Hirai, who died 26 years ago, too soon to witness the disaster and too early to become a national hero. But the story of this tenacious man is inspiring, especially because he bucked convention in a society known for pounding the nail that sticks up. Hirai's example transcends the nuclear arena, where Japanese regulators coddled powerful companies, to offer lessons on corporate excesses and safety problems everywhere.

The Oregonian

Nuclear power can be safe and clean...

When done properly, when the bare minimum isn't whats done.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
like the astronaut said:
what he was thinking at take off was
" every part of this thing was built by the lowest bidder"

the plants are all getting past thier due dates aaaaaaaaaaaand there is a lot of leftover radiactive waste that has no home

over even a small amount of geological time
not then now or ever will this crap be safe

we'll just not report the accidents, turn off the monitors, raise the safe allowable limits...and as the tepco suit said: keep smiling so the boogie man can't get us
edit on 6-11-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

benrl
Not Fukushima of course, but another plant much closer to the epicenter in Onagawa, Japan.

Survived unharmed, How?

According to a retired civil engineer I interviewed in March, there's one man to thank for averting a catastrophe worse than Fukushima, which spewed radiation across an area where 100,000 people still can't return home.

He is Yanosuke Hirai, who died 26 years ago, too soon to witness the disaster and too early to become a national hero. But the story of this tenacious man is inspiring, especially because he bucked convention in a society known for pounding the nail that sticks up. Hirai's example transcends the nuclear arena, where Japanese regulators coddled powerful companies, to offer lessons on corporate excesses and safety problems everywhere.

The Oregonian

How can any nuclear be even close to safe when there is no solution to the waste products. Thousands and thousands of years of waste already - and don't give me the magical thinking of technology will come up with something.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

We would be much further in the Recycling and Storage when
we are not that Dogmatic!

Look, the Anti-Nuclear People are partial guilty of the bad Situation
in Fukushima and anywhere else.

Because of their (my too) Resistance against final Depots
and Recycling Plants we accumulated massive amounts of
Spend Fuel Rods, which are, as we know, in the Sfp. Nr. 4!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

benrl

Survived unharmed, How?

The Oregonian

First: "Clean." What does that mean? Are you using "clean" as a euphemism for "air" quality or do you mean that nuclear waste is clean, as in not an issue. I see the term "clean" attached to the nuclear power theme, yet I think the people in the Hanford area would say that it isn't clean. Define clean please in your response.

Next: "If done right." This makes no sense. It isn't done right, so the perfect world scenario makes no sense - like saying if unicorns really did fly. "If it is done right", in the fantasy sense, it still creates danger if cooling is lost and the endless waste. So if done right, perfectly right, PERFECTION, the plant produces: WASTE WHICH CANNOT BE DEALT WITH. Is that the clean you are referring to?

Stop using the PR terms, they are outdated. They were created to fool the people who lived in the 40's and 50's by Edward Bernays and this think tank, they were never meant to be actual terms of use. The industry has new terms, they no longer try to use these.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
fukyoushima had a huge load of plutonium from us weapons
therin lies the rub

clean?
they say cockroaches will survive
how clean is that?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Any reliable Source for this Claim?

Because i thought and think that nuclear Weapons
are not allowed to enter Japon!

Even the US-Army have huge Problems with their
nuclear Fleet in Yokusuka!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Human0815
reply to post by FyreByrd

We would be much further in the Recycling and Storage when
we are not that Dogmatic!

Look, the Anti-Nuclear People are partial guilty of the bad Situation
in Fukushima and anywhere else.

Because of their (my too) Resistance against final Depots
and Recycling Plants we accumulated massive amounts of
Spend Fuel Rods, which are, as we know, in the Sfp. Nr. 4!

No 'final solution' to nuclear waste has been found. If you know of one, please share it with us.

Anti-Nuclear People are partially guilty????? In just what way????

top topics

join