It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

De Blasio wins New York mayor's race: Democrat McAuliffe narrowly wins Virginia governor's race

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) — Bill de Blasio was elected New York City's first Democratic mayor in two decades Tuesday, posting a potentially record landslide victory while running on an unabashedly liberal, tax-the-rich platform that contrasted sharply with billionaire Michael Bloomberg's record during 12 years in office.

With 51 percent of precincts reporting, De Blasio, the city's public advocate, had 73 percent of the vote compared with 25 percent for Republican Joe Lhota, former chief of the metropolitan area's transit agency.

De Blasio, 52, will take office on Jan. 1 as the 109th mayor of the nation's largest city.

He ran as the anti-Bloomberg, railing against economic inequality and portraying New York as a "tale of two cities" — one rich, the other working class — under the pro-business, pro-development mayor, who made his fortune from the financial information company that bears his name.

"Today you spoke loudly and clearly for a new direction for our city," de Blasio told a rollicking crowd of supporters at the YMCA in his home neighborhood of Park Slope, Brooklyn, a far cry from the glitzy Manhattan hotel ballrooms that usually host election night parties.

View gallery."Democratic Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio embraces his …
Democratic Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio embraces his son Dante, left, and daughter Chiara, center, aft …
"We are united in the belief that our city should leave no New Yorker behind," he said. "The people of this city have chosen a progressive path, and tonight we set forth on it together as one city."

news.yahoo.com...

Democrat Terry McAuliffe has narrowly defeated Republican Ken Cuccinelli in the closely watched Virginia's governor race on Tuesday, NBC and CBS television said.

State election board figures showed McAuliffe, a Democratic Party insider leading Cuccinelli, a favorite of the Republicans' Tea Party wing, 47 percent to 46 percent with 91 percent of precincts reporting

news.yahoo.com...

Big wins for Dems NJ kept Christi which is okay by me he is not nuts and a good opposition someone who can meet the other side half way,I hope this trend continues into the midterms got to get rid of those zealots who compromises on nothing, into baiting and bringing out the worst in politics and people.

edit on 6-11-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Spider879
I hope this trend continues into the midterms got to get rid of those zealots who compromises on nothing, into baiting and bringing out the worst in politics and people.

What is your definition of "compromise"? What if those who you agree with defy this notion of "compromise" on the backs of their "defining" and "referendum" election?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
My only reply is that I am saddened in Virginia tonight. The people deserve exactly what they get from this point on IMO.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

ownbestenemy

Spider879
I hope this trend continues into the midterms got to get rid of those zealots who compromises on nothing, into baiting and bringing out the worst in politics and people.

What is your definition of "compromise"? What if those who you agree with defy this notion of "compromise" on the backs of their "defining" and "referendum" election?

As far as I know all the issues brought forth to date has mainly been a one side effort at compromising including the so-called Obama care,the entrenched opposition got their way nearly all the time and give-up nothing,they dug in their heels doubled down played with the economy just to have Obama undo his center piece legislation ,obstruct and filibuster just about every piece legislation brought before them no matter how innocuous ,took record delay time to confirm appointments.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
My only reply is that I am saddened in Virginia tonight. The people deserve exactly what they get from this point on IMO.

I hope they live long and prosper under new leadership.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

Look I am a Lib surprise surprise but I'd rather deal with Reagan era Republicans than whats being called Republican today,what happened to those guys??

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Spider879

Kangaruex4Ewe

I am certain they/I will.

It's who's defining "prosper" and "leadership", how they are going to define it, and how they have defined it thus far that concerns me. Judging from the numbers, I am one of the few that is indeed...concerned.

It is what it is.
edit on 11/6/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Spider,

You know me, I so wanted Cuccinelli to win in Virginia. These times aren't going to remain these times
much longer, it is the end of times.

Here's a pic of Ken's beautiful family. Children are a blessing, oh how Cuccinelli and his wife are blessed.

www.cuccinelli.com...

God bless you Spider,

colbe

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

Spider879

Kangaruex4Ewe

I am certain they/I will.

It's who's defining "prosper" and "leadership", how they are going to define it, and how they have defined it thus far that concerns me. Judging from the numbers, I am one of the few that is indeed...concerned.

It is what it is.

Keeping it real Ken Cuccinelli is a Tea party guy am I correct?? their claim to fame is Governments off our backs,but turn around and want to be all up in your house in your bedroom under your sheets with whomever you are in bed with telling you what you can and cannot do??

Cuccinelli on climate change.

Yeah they will definitely do better providing the new guy do not turn out to be a corporatist Democrat,my dream team for 2016 president election Elizabeth Warren and Alan Grayson in whatever order,no Hillary

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I am no fan of Cuccinelli either. Neither of the main runners would have been a good choice IMO. There were other options. It isn't just red/blue and we keep getting nowhere because people keep going with red/blue.

What is the definition of insanity???

Keep doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results? Yep. That's what this was. Insanity from all sides.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Election Fraud. Listen, Christie probably won legitimately but I think that race was in the can. His opponent ran a very poor race( I'm next door to NJ and there's a media overlap ) almost on purpose it seems. Christie is not wildly popular with republicans and barely tolerated by dems. He's COMPROMISED. He's gotten into bed with Obama ever since Hurricane Sandy and radically changed his rhetoric and affiliations and agenda. I think he could have been defeated had the dems really wanted that seat but I believe the powers on high wanted Christie and have plans for him down the road. Will he run against Hillary in 2016 and throw the election( like McCain in 2008) or will he be the next empty suit rubber stamp POTUS like we have now, only a republican?
As for McCauliffe, he's a con artist in the same way John Corzine is. Global Crossing was an insider scam and the guy made millions and then got out just before it collapsed. And the " close" election in Virginia is text book voter fraud. You pad the election tallies with ghost voters from urban precincts and then you change the vote count electronically elsewhere to give your guy just enough to win. It was done for Obama in 2012, maybe even in 2008.
I'm only glad that people have really begun to see what damage is being done and these bozos will have nothing but ill will and resistance from the citizens they have wronged.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Its only half a generation later and people have already forgotten the violent and smelly dump New York City was in the 70s and 80s, before the Giuliani and Bloomberg brought in Law and Order. Blasio is a progressive, so expect regression in the coming years. What a sad day for New York.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dutchowl

I think it is very interesting that in Virginia McAuliffe out spent Cuccinelli something like 10 to 1, brought in heavy hitters like both Clintons, Obama and was backed by Bloomberg but only won by about 2%. There was also rumor that Obama might have funded the campaign of the Libertarian to split the republican vote. Seems like the election was more bought than won.

www.theblaze.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Prediction: A massive exodus of major wealth (heavy taxpayers) from the state of new york to conservative states causing lost jobs and revenue for the tax and spend libs. They will run out of other people's money and cry foul due to the fact that they way overspent on the non producers whom they get their votes. Plain simple economics, as people with money hire and buy things creating a cycle of money and jobs. Do not buy this? Just look at detroit, and soon other cities that have used the tax and spend program. The ones with the money get the heck out, and eventually your tax and jobs base is gone, and whom is left to keep the city going forward? Are they going to generate tax revenue and jobs? I see an increase in property values outside of the city, and jobs evaporating before your very eyes........

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

I am no fan of Cuccinelli either. Neither of the main runners would have been a good choice IMO. There were other options. It isn't just red/blue and we keep getting nowhere because people keep going with red/blue.

What is the definition of insanity???

Keep doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results? Yep. That's what this was. Insanity from all sides.

I'm currently spending some time in VA for work/research & visiting with family. The area of VA that I'm in is more red than blue. Having spent some time with people here over the last few weeks I got the distinct sense that although their naturally tendency is conservative GOP, they thought Cuccinelli was a little too nutty even for them.

The guy that really had a chance was the 3rd party candidate (Libertarian). All he had to do to win was run on a platform of "I'm not as radically nutty as the other 2 candidates". The common sense candidate.

Instead, all he did was hand the race to McAuliffe.

As far as the definition of insanity - you have just very neatly summed up the US political system.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Christi is as anti gun, police state and for big government as Bloomberg was, do not let the politics of deception blind you, he just keep a low profile as his true intentions because elections, his true colors will come out now.

Still people hated Bloomberg in NY the only ones that keep him well was the big money interest as he belong into that class and Walls street.

Still this new Mayor is a Democrat and with all the gun control going on coming from the Democrat camp I wonder if all the show of going against Bloomberg policies was just a front for votes.

Time will tell if NY citizens got themselves another replica of Bloomberg.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

It's the beginning of the end for the Tea Party Taliban.

Even the Chamber of Commerce is putting up money against them.

Next year is going to be interesting. We'll no doubt see Boehner cry again. It may be time to buy shares in Kleenex.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by teslahowitzer

why would anyone leave the state over the election of a crappy mayor? They would leave the city and plenty of the wealth that works here doesn't live here so they don't pay city taxes.

If the new mayor was smart, rather than raise the taxes of everyone he considers wealthy, he should bring back the NYC non-resident tax and get paid for letting people work here.

the city would bring in a nice chunk of revenue and the locals wouldn't want to string his over-sleeping arse up on a flag pole.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

colbe
Spider,

You know me, I so wanted Cuccinelli to win in Virginia. These times aren't going to remain these times
much longer, it is the end of times.

Here's a pic of Ken's beautiful family. Children are a blessing, oh how Cuccinelli and his wife are blessed.

www.cuccinelli.com...

God bless you Spider,

colbe

Colbe may you be blessed by whatever deity you worship and yes Cuccinelli have the picture perfect family not unlike most American families in a photo album and while I am not casting dispersion on this guy's dedication to family I can't forget the hypocrisy of this guy with an equally beautiful family and a Virginian to boot

How serene and peaceful they looked,and how judgmental this guy was to others with families not so good looking and traditional with the 1950ts leave it to Beaver atmosphere.

Utill he traded the entire bunch for that hot Argentinian chick above and got elected after saying ma bad i am sorry !!! and got back into power with the blessings and backing of the good family orientated folks of Virginia while keeping said Argentinian hottie.. Now That's a WIN!!!

edit on 6-11-2013 by intrepid because: Racy pic removed.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Everyone knows the reason Virginia has a Democratic governor is because conservatives and independents split their vote between the Republican and Libertarian. I'd hardly call that a major victory. It's even more sad when you know the Democrats funded and pushed the Libertarian to achieve this result.

As for New York it's a shock anytime they elect a Republican so again, hardly a "major" victory.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join