It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannibalism in Syria Causing Brain Disease Kuru - Contagious and Always Deadly

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

webedoomed
reply to post by beezzer

Isn't bacon the butt of a pig?!

The brain of a human being has gotta be highly nutritious. It takes 20% of our caloric needs to sustain itself.

It may be less desirable but much safer to eat. I would never eat the brains of an animal.

edit on 5-11-2013 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Kuru is caused by ingesting tissue from the nervous system that has malformed and incomplete proteins called prions in it.

Prions cause mad cow disease and CJD it has been linked to ingestion of cow, sheep, deer and squirrel brains.

Cannibalism has also been implicated as a transmission mechanism for abnormal prions, causing the disease known as kuru, once found primarily among women and children of the Fore people in Papua New Guinea. While the men of the tribe ate the body of the deceased and rarely contracted the disease, the women and children, who ate the less desirable body parts, including the brain, were 8 times more likely than men to contract kuru from infected tissue.

Prions can only be destroyed by incineration. Autoclave sterilization does not affect them, as they are not living to begin with. So you can get infected by dental and surgical procedures.
edit on 5-11-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

FlyersFan

Sorry .... but BACON is like food from the gods. Bacon, bacon, bacon.

"and of the flesh of the swine, you shall not eat of it, it is an abomination for you to eat thereof" - God.

God Bless,

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

ElohimJD
"and of the flesh of the swine, you shall not eat of it, it is an abomination for you to eat thereof" - God.

God didn't say that. People claimed God said it. But God Himself never said it.
Now ... I think I'll cook up some BACON for dinner. MMMMMM BACON.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wikipedia says that kuru has a asymptomatic incubation period of between 5 and 20 years and proceeds to death within 12 months of the onset of symptoms. The current Syrian civil war started in 2011. Unless these guys were just randomly eating people in '08 I don't think this is likely to be true.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Josephus
Wikipedia says that kuru has a asymptomatic incubation period of between 5 and 20 years and proceeds to death within 12 months of the onset of symptoms. The current Syrian civil war started in 2011. Unless these guys were just randomly eating people in '08 I don't think this is likely to be true.

Good point.
It could just as easily be passed by re-used dental instruments. Reusable metal dental instruments make contact with nerve tissue and may be autoclaved to prevent other types of infection, but it doesn't prevent the spread of CJD.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

webedoomed
reply to post by beezzer

Isn't bacon the butt of a pig?!

The brain of a human being has gotta be highly nutritious. It takes 20% of our caloric needs to sustain itself.

Morality aside, the butt of a pig is more repulsive than the nutritious brain of a human being.

Well, if you truly believe pigs will send you to hell, I hope you haven't eaten any shellfish lately!

God states that cud-chewing animals with split hooves can be eaten (Leviticus 11:3
; Deuteronomy 14:6). These specifically include the cattle, sheep, goat, deer and gazelle families (Deuteronomy 14:4-5). He also lists such animals as camels, rabbits and pigs as being unclean, or unfit to eat (Leviticus 11:4-8). He later lists such "creeping things" as moles, mice and lizards as unfit to eat (Leviticus 11:29-31), as well as four-footed animals with paws (cats, dogs, bears, lions, tigers, etc.) as unclean (Leviticus 11:27).
He tells us that salt and freshwater fish with fins and scales may be eaten (Leviticus 11:9-12), but water creatures without those characteristics (catfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimp, mussels, clams, oysters, squid, octopi, etc.) should not be eaten.

The whole "unclean" animal thing goes across many religions. And I presume it has to do more with a swine flu, or ecoli outbreak thousands of years ago more so than it does with the voice of god.

Religious people… Always the scientific sort…

Bacon is from the belly:

More interestingly, what part of a pig does bacon come from? Well that depends on the style. American Bacon, or “streaky bacon” as our lovely limey friends from the British Isles like to call it, is generally cut from the fatty sides of a pig’s belly. Who says belly fat is a bad thing? If you ever find yourself in an apocalyptic scenario with no food about, consider caging a few of us pot-bellied Americans. Bacon for everyone!

www.todayifoundout.com...

And yes, human brains are far more repulsive than bacon…

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think you confused my post with another, I'm agnostic.

I was referring to the moral of not eating a fellow human. Kinda a big deal for some people.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

webedoomed
reply to post by boncho

I think you confused my post with another, I'm agnostic.

I was referring to the moral of not eating a fellow human. Kinda a big deal for some people.

In that case, sarcasm detector was off.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Much ado about more propaganda......snap out of it
this bull#

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

FlyersFan

webedoomed
the butt of a pig is more repulsive than the nutritious brain of a human being.

Lets see ... hmmmm ....

BACON, Lettuce and Tomato on toast with mayo
or
Human brain, Lettuce and Tomato on toast with mayo.

Sorry .... but BACON is like food from the gods. Bacon, bacon, bacon.

you had me at bacon

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

As a small kid I was an avid reader(still am)and when I was far too young I read about Kuru in Papau New Guinea tribes...and it freaked me out big time.
I never thought I would read about it actually happening in the modern world.
How totally repulsive.
And these are the people our governments are throwing money and most likley weapons at..
Which is also totally repulsive.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Not to jump on the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE bandwagon ... but if eating brains is being called 'okay' by these 'freedom fighters' ... and they are getting deadly contagious brain diseases by doing so .... that sounds kind of 'ZOMBIE' to me. Just say'n ...

Yeah, and i say let the bastards eat until they are full...the more of that filth hiding in Human skin that eat Human brain and then die, the better.

The more the merrier. I'd send them brain recipe cookbooks..if we can't eradicate them with guns and bombs, let's encourage them to infect themselves with deadly diseases and wipe them off the planet that way.

I'm hoping it's not just a handful that have one foot in the grave because of this barbarism...i'm hoping a high percentage of the swine had a slice for lunch.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Sounds to me like more BS from the media,Syria is nothing but a bunch of chemical bombing savages,so let's start a war with them,at least they could be more subtle,I believe nothing from mainstream news

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

The US/UK governments and the king of Saudis should be proud of themselves for supporting and financing such a fine young men with a perfectly bright future in the hearts of Syrian people whose relatives brain! might have had been eaten by these true heroes...I wonder if Insurances cover cannibalism related diseases.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I read the Quran back during George Srs Iraq War, have since read parts of the Hadith and have learned the general history of Islam over the years. I don't remember any references to cannibalism.

Of course there was so much violence, bloodshed, and prescribed killing and torture, in the Quran that it wouldn't surprise me if it has one obscure verse about it. Time to do a little research on Islam again, but I doubt that the practice of cannibal brain eating is recommended.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

FlyersFan

butcherguy
So they have apparently been eating brains in Syria for some time....
If the incubation time is long.

Not to jump on the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE bandwagon ... but if eating brains is being called 'okay' by these 'freedom fighters' ... and they are getting deadly contagious brain diseases by doing so .... that sounds kind of 'ZOMBIE' to me. Just say'n ...

Permission to jump on the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE bandwagon. Not really, but seriously? We have glorified Islam as such a peaceful, wonderful religion by our commander in chief-retardedness, and they go around EATING PEOPLE'S BRAINS. Awesome. Yet it's Christians that are the wack-jobs. Naturally.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Oldtimer2
Sounds to me like more BS from the media,...

The medical cases are documented. So it's not BS.
And the disease can only come from people eating human brains.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

..the disease can only come from people eating human brains

I know that's the official wisdom but given how prions work, I don't think it's true. For one thing, it's possible that a Kuru strain is loose in the environment in Syria, in the same way that CWD is loose in the USA and Canada. Also, if someone used a knife to cut into an infected skull then used the same knife to slice a tomato - and someone else ate the tomato but not the brain, they would be exposed to the Kuru prion and potentially infected.

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion disease that affects North American cervids (hoofed ruminant mammals, with males characteristically having antlers). The known natural hosts of CWD are mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, and moose.

By the mid-1990s, CWD had been diagnosed among free-ranging deer and elk in a contiguous area in northeastern Colorado and southeastern Wyoming, where the disease is now endemic. In recent years, CWD has been found in areas outside of this disease-endemic zone, including areas east of the Mississippi River. The geographic range of diseased animals currently includes 15 U.S. states and two Canadian provinces and is likely to continue to grow.

Kuru and mad cow disease: understanding the prion theory.

A preponderance of evidence indicates that several neurodegenerative disorders are caused by prions: abnormally folded proteins that can induce abnormal folding in other normal protein molecules. Further, these "infections" can cross some species barriers.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
How do the sources know it's Kuru? I call bunk.

IT IS NOT CONTAGIOUS. Since cannibalism was outlawed in PNG, The number of Kuru cases has dropped dramatically. The disease is Transmissible, not contagious.

edit on 6-11-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join