It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Fun Little Poll: Would We Nuke "Them" From Orbit to be Sure?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is a thought experiment poll about the psychology of aliens. Two sets of aliens actually, us and "them:.

Let's say that a bidirectional, stable wormhole suddenly appeared a safe distance outside of the moon's orbit. The other end led to an earth like world at roughly our level of technology. In fact they were like us psychologically too - destructive, plundering, mostly heartless and mentally unstable top predators with delusions of grandeur (as some would say anyway) - and these aliens were on the verge of spreading to the stars in a hundred years.

Would we just preemptively nuke them from orbit, or would we give them a chance?

I vote that humanity would nuke them, before our solar system left easy range of the static singularity.

I'm not saying this would be right or wrong, but that the governments of the world, overall would consider this prudent.

Perhaps a regular cleansing process of dangerous species such as ours happens every so often in our galaxy; maybe other "insane races" come here to hide with us as our termination timer hasn't run out yet?

No I don't hate humans I love them but I'm a realist; not in denial.

Thoughts?

KPB

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yes we would nuke them if for no other reason than to simply test out new gadgets. Besides its survival of the fittest around here and we have a hard enough time accepting our fellow humans, what on earth would make us think we would treat alien visitors kindly?

We are a culture of takers, therefore we take. If we saw another culture of takers….well, all I can say to that is: “My toy!”

Besides we needn’t look further than what we did to the Pagan’s, Inca’s, Maya, et.al.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KellyPrettyBear

If they're at roughly our level of technology then they are no danger to us as they wouldn't be able to get through the wormhole , I also doubt we have the technology to send a nuke through a wormhole yet alone hit the target .
Also why would you want to attack a species just for being there ? , don't make sense to me .

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If they're Alien style xenomorphs and could infect this planet ... well, yes! Even Ripley knew that.

But if they were approximately at our level of technology and we could just see them through the wormhole ... umm, why?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

gortex

If they're at roughly our level of technology then they are no danger to us as they wouldn't be able to get through the wormhole , I also doubt we have the technology to send a nuke through a wormhole yet alone hit the target .
Also why would you want to attack a species just for being there ? , don't make sense to me .

The scenario was designed that both species could easily attack the other if they wished, if they acted quickly.

KPB

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The US gov pioneered the audacious idea of preemptive nuking. The US citizens loved it. Ergo, the USG would go for it again.

The other countries on this Earth wouldn't. They probably figure the bloodthirsty new aliens can't get worse than the USG.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

ketsuko
If they're Alien style xenomorphs and could infect this planet ... well, yes! Even Ripley knew that.

But if they were approximately at our level of technology and we could just see them through the wormhole ... umm, why?

You'd never be elected to Congress with an attitude like that!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Wait are they hot Aliens? or slime monster ones?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It sounds like a mirror image of us - so we might be nuking ourselves. I vote for - understand how the wormhole works before making any decisions.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

boymonkey74
Wait are they hot Aliens? or slime monster ones?

They are not a planet of sexy amazon women that yearn for fat bald white guys

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Which one? The first which was an obvious reply to your use of an Aliens reference, or the second which was an honest question?

If they're at our level, and we're seeing them through a mirror, why would we nuke them? We really have no idea what China is up to and we somehow manage to not nuke them. For all those years during the Cold War, we didn't precisely know what Russia was up to and yet we didn't manage to nuke them.

So, why?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

With the vastness of the universe that planet will exist

Anyhow who you calling fat and bald? I have a great head of hair and am not overweight...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Dianec
It sounds like a mirror image of us - so we might be nuking ourselves. I vote for - understand how the wormhole works before making any decisions.

99% of the world's leaders are men
Take that into account.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

You are speaking for yourself not what world leaders would do. The question was about what world leaders would do.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

boymonkey74

With the vastness of the universe that planet will exist

Anyhow who you calling fat and bald? I have a great head of hair and am not overweight...

I was speaking for myself actually

You didn't answer the question!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Sad that so many here have so little faith in the greed of humanity. If we nuke it, we can't use it.

Isn't that what most of the big corporatists would be saying?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

ketsuko

Sad that so many here have so little faith in the greed of humanity. If we nuke it, we can't use it.

Isn't that what most of the big corporatists would be saying?

Self-preservation is the first law of nature is it not? Therefore we have nuked before we have considered. If we are going to seriously consider the thought process of world leaders we must learn to act like them.

Shoot first and let God sort them out!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Ok integrate our two cultures to make a mega culture...well give them that option or nuke the buggers.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

Yes and no. Some of those responses are hard-wired. Most people have a sort of racial/biological fear response to things like snakes that prompts you to lash out or run in horror. I'm not sure we have the same response to a glimpse of another planet seen through a wormhole. So, while there would be trepidation, yes, would their first response be to shoot first? I think only if there were a visceral response.
edit on 4-11-2013 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join