It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats and Republicans, Please Hear Me: Abortion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Good day ATS and thanks for choosing to read my thread, there are more than a few issues facing America today and I would like to, at least try to, tackle one in this thread.

I am by no means an old man, but I have been around long enough to see our country transform more than I ever thought was possible when I was young. For example, we launched a technological revolution that changed the world forever. We are capable of great things, yet after all of that I have watched our country split at the seams and fight itself.

There are many issues that split us, but I believe a common ground can be found in most if not all. I want to bridge this gap between the far left and right sides of our political landscape. This may turn out to be impossible but its needed for the health and longevity of our nation. Nonetheless I would like to extend an olive branch from the center to help bring our country back together. If this goes well I will start a series of threads touching on multiple topics, all I ask is that everyone be respectful of each other.

Abortion:

So this is a touchy one but let me try to bridge this.

Roe vs Wade made abortion legal up until the fetus is viable outside the womb, "albeit with artificial aid".

The decision stemmed from our Right to Privacy under the Due Process Clause in the Fourteenth Amendment, something I feel is very important in this day and age.

I see no way around this ruling and I feel that the fight against it should not be fought on the Federal level, and I don't really see a way for the states to fight it either. If the Republicans want to fight abortion I suggest it be fought with viability. What I mean is drop it from your political rhetoric, (its costing you votes). People who are against abortion should invest in Science, with enough investment abortion could technically be eradicated by bringing down the "age" of viability enough. Roe vs Wade also gives the State the right to fully regulate once viability has been reached as long as exceptions are made for the health of the mother.

To the Democrats, I believe your happy with the status quo, (Roe vs Wade)? In order to fight the inevitable lowering of the "age" of viability I once again suggest you invest in Science and Education. Research into more and better forms of contraceptives, and the education to go along with them will do far more to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies than abortion can.

In short this topic should disappear from the political landscape and both sides should invest in Science to further their cause.

Just my thoughts, what say you ATS?
edit on 4-11-2013 by XTexan because: title change

join