It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Going to Church make you a better person?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

Maybe you should re-read them then friend, because the concept of the trinity is all throughout the Bible. First off, I said I believe in one God that exist in three persons not more than one God. The Mormon Church does not teach the concept of the trinity, but rather that they are three separate Gods...so the Mormon Church is worse when it comes to teaching about multiple Gods.

And please replace the word "Word" with "Plan" all you want to. The passages will still read the Jesus is the PLan in the Flesh and the Plane and God are one therefore Jesus and God are still one.....so that did nothing for your argument....

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

ServantOfTheLamb
reply to post by Pimpintology

Maybe you should re-read them then friend, because the concept of the trinity is all throughout the Bible. First off, I said I believe in one God that exist in three persons not more than one God. The Mormon Church does not teach the concept of the trinity, but rather that they are three separate Gods...so the Mormon Church is worse when it comes to teaching about multiple Gods.

And please replace the word "Word" with "Plan" all you want to. The passages will still read the Jesus is the PLan in the Flesh and the Plane and God are one therefore Jesus and God are still one.....so that did nothing for your argument....

There is God's oral Word and God's written Word. Those who profess they ONLY believe in the written Word actually do accept some of the oral Word.

ServantoftheLamb is right about the Trinity, it is a basic teaching of the faith and must be believed.

If you are 'written Word' alone (Sola Scriptura), Jesus speaks of the Trinity.

Matthew 28:19 Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Our understanding of the "Trinity" is further explained by the Church, an example of the oral Word. Trinity
is not written in the Bible.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

not necessarily a better person I personally don't think so myself... I think going to church may help people understand how on composes themselves in society and to understand this important relationship with others by doing so?

I am not sure... I don't attend a group church... I prefer to be alone with my Holy Bible.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Going to Church to make yourself a better person; is like watching Bruce Lee movies to learn Martial Arts;

Its your deeds, actions and good will towards life and other people on this planet that make you a good person.

No church is necessary.

Church is merely a way for people to remind themselves not to be [snip]. Kinda like alcoholics go to A.A meetings to remind themselves not to drink.
edit on 18-12-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The point of church is worship of the Deity.

Praise of God has a beneficial effect on the person doing it. By reminding yourself of God's attributes, you remind yourself of your goals and the kind of person you are aiming to be.

Studying the Bible is good for you, too. But doing so doesn't make you a Christian; it merely makes you a historian of Christianity.

"what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

For a Christian, to act justly means living out the Gospel by increasing justice in the world, enhancing the good and minimizing the evil. To Love mercy means you are on the side of peace. Walking humbly with your God means you spend time "getting somewhere with God," meaning addressing God in prayer and praise. Proper worship of God is acting with humility, by admitting that the Lord is the center of the universe, not you.

Doing good works, and a closer walk with God is the mechanism of spiritual growth. A good church will lead you in both of those.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join