It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lord of the Flies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Has anyone read this book. I find it quite revealing about the inherit sinful nature of man.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I read it about two years ago. I can't remember all the characters names anymore, but the storyline is still clear.

At first I though the ending was strange if not bad. But after some more reflection it does show that in a orderly system, in this case the hierarchy of age, the sinful nature of man can be repressed. Personally I think the ending would be more powerful if the boy was killed and then the sailors arrived on the island. The same boys that just killed another boy would then behave like normal kids on the control of the adults.

I think it also shows the dangers of groups without reflection and critical thinking. The rational boys lose in the end, because the group without reflection acts more as one force and more powerfully. I think it is true in the real world as well and it shows that critical reflecting individuals should be careful when belief systems become more powerful. Because that's what groups without reflection or critical thinking, always are, belief systems. Not all belief systems are dangerous, but most dangerous groups are belief systems.

new topics

join