It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark taken by bigger predator, what?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
Australia... where the animals on land rival the animals in the water for being the most dangerous predators.

Stradbroke Island on the eastern side has a monster too..

www.youtube.com...

a 3-4m Great White was caught on a bouy line, it was being dragged in when it was almost bittin clean in half by another, much larger shark!

Prolly just megalodon.

We get sum big sharks off straddie. I heard about this a while ago.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Check this baby out ...

ca.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

I'm with ya! I'm betting on something that survived the ice age. Ever seen a lake freeze with the fish still in it?? There had been some speculation of Megalodon still being around, and following whale migration. That seems to be where the alleged sightings have been reported from mostly.

Wasn't there a story not long ago about a whale that was found, with an enormous bite in the middle of it?

They did find a coelacinth(sp?) After all..

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

DAMN!! Remind me not to use my 14 ft aluminum to go fishing nearby!!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The ocean is a truly fascinating place. On top of that, it's enormous. If you want to look for bigfoot in the woods, I'll be happy to go exploring with you. Not really interested in capturing the first video footage of something capable of swallowing a 3 meter long apex predator. We're talking about a creature that has a stomach large enough to hold a decent sized shark. Whatever it was had to be huge.

edit on 2162014 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
A few years ago, I heard a discussion on the Coast-To-Coast radio program about the possibility of a real Leviathon type creature living deep in the ocean. The guest had some stories on how both U.S. and Russian subs have encountered "something huge" down there. The encounters were very rare and they don't make the news. There was a supposed encounter where something came up 'out of nowhere' from the depths and bumped a Soviet Typhoon class nuclear sub hard enough to nearly spin it around. We're talking about a 600-foot long submarine.

It's impossible for creatures of this size to exist nowdays. An animal of this size would have turn into sphageti by now. Unless it lived deep down the sea it could be peossible because of the difference i nathmospheric pression, but it tried to go to the surface it's body would break apart.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
As an electronics engineer I'd be suspicious that there was a fault on the tags temperature sensor... Maybe the shark was bitten by something else, the something else damaged the tag and took the tag with it (maybe caught in the mouth or something) after a week it dislodged and floated to the surface. Has the tag electronics been tested for faults?

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Anon77

well having watched the program i found it interesting.

They pretty much ruled out orcas due to the temperature, and giant squid due to the size of the mouth compared to the transmitter. So they concluded it was probably another very large great white that did the deed. They did film a large great white further up the coast in excess of 5m.

However it did get me thinking it might have been something else.

Megalodon does spring to mind.

Now im not talking about the meg where the estimated size is around the 30m mark .... that size of predator is simply just too big to be sustained these days.

However estimates from some meg teeth put the size at around 16m - still very big i agree.

My thinking is that over the time the size of the Meg slowly reduced due to the reduction in food.

So yes in prehistoric times the meg has probably gigantic ... with a maximum size of around 30m, but what if over time that maximum size dropped to around 20m with an average of say 10-15m.

Still too large you think?

Well look at the Great White. It was around during the time of the Meg, indeed there are many theories that speculate Meg and The Great White were very closely related.

Now the maximum size of modern day Great Whites is still up for discussion however from the various reports in the last 100 years I think its safe to assume there were(are) Great whites around the 7m

So its entirely possible that an average Meg would only be 3m bigger than a large great white ... juvenile megs would be similar to most adult great whites. So could sightings of large Great whites actually have been a young Meg?

I believe that would be possible.

After all why would the larger of two species of shark go extinct when apparently they were very similar in many ways - the bigger difference was maximum size (although im pretty certain prehistoric great whites were a lot bigger and have downsized in line with the food source) - why would the Megs also not downsize according to food source.

Even Megs teeth were apparently very similar to a great whites - except for size.

So why havent we seen a Meg? well maybe we have - as I have already said the theory is that they were similar to great whites, so juvenile and young adult megs could easily be mistaken for large great whites.

The sticking point however is where are the adult megs .... well remember there are countless stories of massive great whites out there... maybe they arent great whites but modern day megs.

So will we ever see a 30m Meg - i dont think so

Will we ever see a 10-16m Meg - I think its entirely possible.

When considering the meg this account always springs to mind and sticks with me for some reason

"One of the mostfamed examples of a possible Megalodon sighitng was retold by Australian naturalist David Stead. Though widely circulated, this account is generally regarded as of little value, because most of the claimants are anonymous: "In the year 1918 I recorded the sensation that had been caused among the "outside" crayfish men at Port Stephens, when, for several days, they refused to go to sea to their regular fishing grounds in the vicinity of Broughton Island. The men had been at work on the fishing grounds—which lie in deep water—when an immense shark of almost unbelievable proportions put in an appearance, lifting pot after pot containing many crayfishes, and taking, as the men said, "pots, mooring lines and all". These crayfish pots, it should be mentioned, were about 3 feet 6 inches [1.06 m] in diameter and frequently contained from two to three dozen good-sized crayfish each weighing several pounds. The men were all unanimous that this shark was something the like of which they had never dreamed of. In company with the local Fisheries Inspector I questioned many of the men very closely and they all agreed as to the gigantic stature of the beast. But the lengths they gave were, on the whole, absurd. I mention them, however, as an indication of the state of mind which this unusual giant had thrown them into. And bear in mind that these were men who were used to the sea and all sorts of weather, and all sorts of sharks as well. One of the crew said the shark was "three hundred feet [90 m] long at least"! Others said it was as long as the wharf on which we stood – about 115 feet [35 m]! They affirmed that the water "boiled" over a large space when the fish swam past. They were all familiar with whales, which they had often seen passing at sea, but this was a vast shark. They had seen its terrible head which was "at least as long as the roof on the wharf shed at Nelson Bay." Impossible, of course! But these were prosaic and rather stolid men, not given to 'fish stories' nor even to talking about their catches. Further, they knew that the person they were talking to (myself) had heard all the fish stories years before! One of the things that impressed me was that they all agreed as to the ghostly whitish colour of the vast fish. The local Fisheries Inspector of the time, Mr Paton, agreed with me that it must have been something really gigantic to put these experienced men into such a state of fear and panic."
edit on 28-5-2015 by jonnybrussell because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join