It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First image emerges of LAX shooter’s AR-15 rifle, raising disturbing questions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Source

NBC News has the first (relatively) clear image of the rifle used by Paul Anthony Ciancia, 23, in his not-quite-quite-a mass shooting at Terminal 3 of Los Angeles International Airport yesterday. Ciancia walked into the terminal through a “secure” exit and began shooting, specifically targeting TSA employees. He was finally dropped by armed Airport Police with four shots and is in critical condition. Unfortunately, he was not stopped before killing TSA officer Gerardo I. Hernandez, 39.

The weapon itself seems a little out of place for the environment. The article goes on to explain that the rear backup sight was down. While the cops could have done this, it doesn't seem likely. The more likely explanation is that this guy was not aiming.

Secondly and right off the bat this weapon is highly illegal in California. It is a semi-automatic AR15 without a welded magazine. In fact it's a 30 round detachable mag which is also illegal in California.

The article also goes on to say:

What is a bit more surprising is that the rifle and it’s apparently standard-capacity 30-round magazine do not appear on first glance to be California legal or New Jersey legal. Ciancia is originally from New Jersey, but recently moved to Los Angeles.

This is not to say that it would have been impossible to get one between New Jersey and California. But if you tried to legally purchase one of these in the many states that do sell them you would be turned away.

In Nevada, for instance, California residents are not sold firearms of ANY type. Neither are residents from New Jersey, Hawaii, New York, Illinois, and Massachusetts.

So it begs the question:

How did a man relatively new to the state of California acquire a banned firearm and magazines, and what prompted him to go on a shooting spree with a firearm he apparently didn't even know how to properly deploy?

I don't normally say this when it comes to these issues, but AR15s are expensive these days. Ammo is hard to come by. For a man from New Jersey where this firearm is banned to move to LA where this firearm is also banned, acquire it, and get ammo for it just to go on a shooting spree seems a little fishy.
edit on pSat, 02 Nov 2013 22:11:50 -050020132America/Chicago2013-11-02T22:11:50-05:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You can buy that weapon at Wal-Mart here in Ohio for under $1000 with no waiting period. They actually sell about one a day at the one near me. Starting at around $675.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

Oh good, the price is going down.

Sorry I've been away for some time.

But that still doesn't change the fact that this weapon and it's accessories, does not meet state requirements for legally being sold in California or New Jersey.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I agree that it is fishy, but lets be honest, the cost of the AR15 has recently dropped dramatically in price, and you are also assuming that he purchased this legally. He could have easily purchased this out of some guys trunk in a back alley somewhere. Ammo may be expensive, but if your crazy and you plan on dying for your "cause" what do you care if you spend your last $100 on ammo?

To me the signs are starting to already point in the direction of mentally unstable at best. Some people that are bi-polar do a fantastic job of hiding it from others.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Believe me I've considered all of this. But at the same time something about this situation doesn't add up. I'm not sure what it is. There's a piece of this puzzle missing and I think it lies with the shooter himself.

I would love to know where this rifle came from, what the shooters records looked like and so on. The presence of this rifle, the configuration it was found in, and the accessories it was recovered with raise an eyebrow. Not just for the farce of anti-gun laws, but for the acquiring method.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

For a man from New Jersey where this firearm is banned to move to LA where this firearm is also banned, acquire it, and get ammo for it just to go on a shooting spree seems a little fishy.

Well he was a "little fishy". I mean intentions wise.

If he's a killer I would expect him to break any number of laws before getting there. Got to remember too this is Lost Angels, the city of gangs and proximity to the Mexican border. Smugglers smuggle more than just dope. Just saying.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
There is an entire country between jersey and cali. There is nothing fishy about this weapon being used at all, its not even an automatic. Its a store bought over the counter weapon anyone can buy with no waiting period.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

There is an entire country between jersey and cali. There is nothing fishy about this weapon being used at all, its not even an automatic.

Yes I understand this. I'm a qualified armorer and avid firearms enthusiast. But the fact is many of the ban states' residents are REJECTED most often when they attempt to buy a firearm legally.

Its a store bought over the counter weapon anyone can buy with no waiting period.

What's a waiting period going to do? They have to do background checks and that doesn't take long at all. If you are NOT a resident of that state more often than not you will not be sold the weapon. As I explained in the original post, states like Nevada reject sales of any firearms to residents of ban states. Many non-ban states do the same as well.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Well that model is a super basic M4 style AR15, and the only thing that even makes it an M4 style is the relief cut in the barrel, otherwise it's a cut and dry CAR15. It has standard glacier guard fore grip with basic six position collapsible butt stock, pistol grip, and standard front sight with folding rear peep sight. This is a base model rifle if I've ever seen one.
Even the magazine looks like a standard NATO style box mag. Nothing about this rifle is upgraded from what I can tell.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

There are more accessories available for the ar-15 than for a barbie doll its actually a joke in the ar community. Whats fishy to me is that usually when things like this happen the police are very hush hush about any details yet 15 minutes after this happened they're releasing info about this guy being a right wing conspiracy nut and him having papers on him referring to the NWO. Thats fishy!

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

It's not upgraded.

But the pistol grip, magazine, and unpinned flash hider are illegal in california. Same with the 6 position stock.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

That's why I'm interested in the shooter.

Because this rifle brings up those questions as well. This isn't something that a New Jersey or California resident can easily get their hands on legally. And while it may be very possible to obtain this weapon illegally, for a brand new transplant who doesn't know the area? Really?

Suddenly it's a right winger with a hatred for the NWO?
Interesting.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Greetings- So now it can be reported as a plus regarding "imports" Instead of 55,000 guns sold to Mexico Now we can type 54,999 guns, seeing this One made it's way back...

namaste

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Drugs are illegal in California too, but I can go to many areas within California and get them without any issues. I get what you are saying, but on the black market if there is a demand for something it will be met.

He also could have purchased an AR15 build kit out of state and just replaced all the parts on a California legal rifle with stock non ban parts. I guess we will have to wait and see what the official version of how he came in possession of it in it's current configuration to find out how fishy it is.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I would (hypothetically) be able to purchase this or many other assault weapons for anyone who wanted one,(for a small fee), add it to my homeowners insurance, report it stolen and more than double my money.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It's possible he could have gotten it at a gun show. We have one that's monthly in the area. You pay to get in and as long as you have the cash, you can walk out with whatever you want. No background check, no questions asked, no waiting period.

I'm sure these events can be found in a number of states.

Hell.. We went to an annual garage sale thing that spans the length of highway 127, from Michigan all the way to Florida, nothing but garage sales. I have never seen so many guns in my life, ever. Much like the gun shows, no questions asked.
edit on 2-11-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
USA Today is reporting that the rifle was purchased legally from a CA arms dealer.

A federal law enforcement official said that the Smith & Wesson assault rifle used in the attack is believed to have been purchased legally from a Los Angeles-area arms dealer. The official also said authorities were investigating whether a roommate unwittingly drove Ciancia to the airport the morning of the attack.

Link
edit on Sat21Sat, 02 Nov 2013 23:21:51 -05003013Sat by DirtyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

projectvxn

That's why I'm interested in the shooter.

Because this rifle brings up those questions as well. This isn't something that a New Jersey or California resident can easily get their hands on legally. And while it may be very possible to obtain this weapon illegally, for a brand new transplant who doesn't know the area? Really?

Suddenly it's a right winger with a hatred for the NWO?
Interesting.

There is absolutely nothing difficult about acquiring this weapon in California. The only part of an AR-15 that must be purchased through an FFL is the lower receiver. There is presently a "loop hole" in California law wherein only the lower receiver brands/models specifically listed in the "assault weapon" ban are prohibited. To meet the requirements of the law, the magazine cannot exceed 10 rounds and only needs to be fixed in such a way that it requires "tools and time" to be removed. The term "tools and time" is not defined in law, and is thus remedied by requiring something as simple as a bullet to push the magazine catch to release the magazine.

Every other part can be purchased online and shipped directly to your door. This includes the upper receiver with the barrel, the lower parts kit (the guts that go inside the lower receiver, such as the trigger, hammer, and disconnector), the stock, the pistol grip, etc. Even the 30 round magazines can be purchased by Californians, if they order them disassembled and labeled as "parts kits" for servicing existing grandfathered magazines.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

That is only true if you are purchasing a personal firearm from an individual. If you are purchasing a firearm from a FFL it has to go through the proper channels, meaning a standard NCIC background check is performed.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

daryllyn
It's possible he could have gotten it at a gun show. We have one that's monthly in the area. You pay to get in and as long as you have the cash, you can walk out with whatever you want. No background check, no questions asked, no waiting period.

I'm sure there are gun shows in a number of states.

It doesn't work like that in California. You must transfer firearms through a federally licensed dealer, with a DROS (dealer record of sale), and state background check and a federal background check.

Private party transfers MUST be done in this way.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join