It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Glenn Greenwald's partner involved in 'espionage' and 'terrorism'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A leopard can't change it's spots. Apparently neither can over compensating authoritarian regimes like the US, or in this case the UK. Rather than admit the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) overstepped all boundaries in it's spying conspiracy with the NSA the UK government is accusing Glenn Greenwald's partner David Miranda of espionage and terrorism. This time they've made it official.

UK: Snowden reporter's partner involved in 'espionage' and 'terrorism'

Greenwald's partner, David Miranda, was detained and questioned for nine hours by British authorities at Heathrow on August 18, when he landed there from Berlin to change planes for a flight to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. After his release and return to Rio, Miranda filed a legal action against the British government

At a London court hearing this week for Miranda's lawsuit, a document called a "Ports Circulation Sheet" was read into the record. It was prepared by Scotland Yard - in consultation with the MI5 counterintelligence agency.

"Intelligence indicates that Miranda is likely to be involved in espionage activity which has the potential to act against the interests of UK national security," according to the document.

"We assess that Miranda is knowingly carrying material the release of which would endanger people's lives," the document continued. "Additionally the disclosure, or threat of disclosure, is designed to influence a government and is made for the purpose of promoting a political or ideological cause. This therefore falls within the definition of terrorism..."

Miranda was not charged with any offense.

So there you have it. In a nutshell if you call out the UK government on their illegal activities you are officially labeled as a "terrorist." Just like the USA.
edit on 802pm5959pm12013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

In the article I saw on this, it also mentioned that the date of issue the document issued by Scotland Yard and MI5 could not be determined. In other words, it was issued after the fact to cover arses!

Also, by that same twisted logic mentioned in the written document, voting too must then be a terrorist act as it also seeks to promote political and ideological changes on the government. All Lobbyists must too be recategorized as terrorists! I have never seen such a steaming pile of BS and it really brings "clutching at straws" to a new low level.

Edit to add... the term used in the Reuters article was "The precise date of the document is unclear." So yes, they made it up and issued it after the fact!
edit on 2-11-2013 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-11-2013 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

You ever confront one of those news stories where words just leave you? This is one of those for me. Pretty disgusting. I echo what Britguy said, too. Way to go, GCHQ--you just made yourself look more vile than you already did.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Pay back’s a bitch. The US and its partner in world evil Britain don’t forget.

I would advise Greenwald to be very careful where he goes

He’s a great guy and we the public have to watch his back

Stay in Brazil and don’t go to Israel, the US and certainly not England and keep your partner in Brazil also.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Willtell

I would advise Greenwald to be very careful where he goes

So true. Greenwald is pretty much at the top of my "who gets black bagged next" list. Well, after Snowden anyway but they can't get to him right now. So Glenn, you're up!

Not like the US or UK could do anything now about it anyway, that horse has left the barn. All they have now is revenge and they're a vindictive lot.
edit on 050pm2828pm72013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'd love to comment but
I'm fresh out of vitriol too.

These people think they can get away with anything and everything.
Anything contrary to that they call terrorism.
Which they're happy to say while pointing a gun at your head)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

How much longer is this going to keep happening until something major changes? I am sick of reading news stories of power hungry governments (namely the US and UK) using the FARCE terrorism labeling on anyone and anything that does not let it get away with raping and pillaging more of the peoples rights and wealth. I very much hope we are in the end times of this type of rule. I would love to be there or watching on TV while these corrupt officials that made these laws are lined up one at a time and sentenced to long terms in prison for the crimes they have committed. Then after its all done we can take all that stolen money and change all the laws to support our new governments goal to literally reach the stars, go back to the moon and further the human race, rather than this evil that we seem to be stuck with right now sending us all down the pipe. Who isnt a terrorist these days?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Here is the latest regarding the detention of David Miranda, back in August.

As my colleague Ryan Devereaux reports, a lower UK court this morning, as long expected, upheld the legality of the nine-hour detention of my partner, David Miranda, at Heathrow Airport last August, even as it acknowledged that the detention was “an indirect interference with press freedom”. For good measure, the court also refused permission to appeal (though permission can still be granted by the appellate court). David was detained and interrogated under the Terrorism Act of 2000.

From Greenwald's article titled, On the UK's Equating of Journalism with Terrorism, found on firstlook
edit on 2/19/2014 by Olivine because: formatting wooha

new topics

top topics

join