It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please hands off. :D

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   

mblahnikluver
Ok what are the things you don't like other people touching when they visit?

For me it's my kitchen.

Stay out of my bathroom and bedroom.

Don't touch my computer.

So what is off limits at your place?

Not exactly sure what kind of guests you have in your house, but my place is pretty much the neighbourhood hub for anyone and everyone, especially on the weekends. Weekdays it's usually kids getting dropped off and picked up, sometimes it feels like a bus station at my house 7 days a week...

Guests are permitted in the lounge room on movie nights, although we have a large outside projector we watch either on the side of the garage wall or sitting in the pool. About the only rule is no feet on the furniture regardless.

As for fridges, you can imagine the coming and going of kids and people grabbing drinks, I solved this by adding two outdoor fridges to my entertaining area, one with drinks for kids and general munchies, the other with alcohol for the adults. This way no one needs to go inside for anything. It is completely under cover, and has fold down weatherproofing for bad weather after all the rain we had last summer.

As for my bedroom? I have a rule, keep it simple. Bed, two side tables, that's it. No electronics, no nothing, so I can't imagine why anyone would go in there in the first place. As for any electronics, my guests don't go near them. These days everyone pretty much has a smart phone anyway, so needing to use someone's internet is a thing of the past really.

If I had to answer your direct question, the two things are my bike and my bus. I get nervous when anyone asks "can I sit on your bike?" I usually answer by asking if I can dance a jig on top of their car. The bus is my baby, and although people can have a look inside, they get very quickly told not to touch anything.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

For me my biggest pet peeve isnt what is touched.. its what is worn.

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER wearing shoes in my house. You step inside the front door and remove them before taking another step! (Yes that makes me a shoe Nazi...lol..)

Other than that? I dunno I suppose I am pretty good.
edit on 3-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER wearing shoes in my house. You step inside the front door and remove them before taking another step! (Yes that makes me a shoe Nazi...lol..)

That is when you go outside and step in the mud with your bare-feet, before putting your shoes on to go over rot that persons house. Yes, I have done this, but they deserved it. tell someone to take of their shoes then make fun of their feet being too small.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

who in the world would make fun of someone's feet? That's not a person I would want to go spend time with to be honest!

(Especially small feet! I always wanted small feet! I thought mine were too big! )

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

geobro
for me it is simple things toothbrush razor and facecloth and hair brush and that is about it really if i was any more laid back i would be asleeeeeeeeeepppp

Toothbrush!? People try to touch your toothbrush?! Eww.

Yea razors are a one person kind of item for sure.

I had a friend who loved to help herself to my make up compact. It drove me nuts because I told her many times I do NOT share make up. Every time she used mine I had to toss it and buy a new one. Drove me nuts! I finally gave one to her and said here keep it, don't touch mine again or I'll break your finger! She never touched it again. lol

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

calstorm
I hate it when I am over at someones house and they tell me to help myself, because I DO NOT want you to help yourself at my house, and I do not feel comfortable "helping myself" even for a glass of water at your house.

I thought i was the only person who felt this way! I have some family who feels that it's like that at my house because they welcome it at theirs, well not so much. I do like having my own personal space and it's nothing personal.

I used to have an ex-relative that would knock and then just walk right in and help herself at anyone's home she considered family, she expected people to do the same at her house and it drove me nuts.
If it is in my house, it is off limits period unless I hand it to you.

Oh I lock doors because my mother in law did that twice at my old place. I was not happy and told her that she needed to call before just showing up and two she was not allowed to just walk in. It took my husband saying something and me being not so nice one time for her to finally get it. I am not always ready for company or wanting to entertain people. I always knock and wait til someone answers or yells "come in." lol Some say you don't need an invite when you are family or close friends but I don't feel that way. I am not always in the mood for people to be over.

And please, if you don't know me, don't touch me, don't pat me on the back or tuck in my tag. I HATE it when strangers tuck in the tag on the back of your shirt.

I have a tattoo on my back between my shoulder blades. It's a Shakespeare quote. Well people have actually taken my shirt and moved it to the side to read it! I freaked at some guy at the 7-11. He said I needed to be more chill and relaxed. I said he needs to be careful who he lays a hand on! It totally creeped me out and he is lucky I didn't hit him because my hands were full! I don't know why having a tattoo means to others that they can touch you to read it. I have had people even go for my arm in line to read the other Shakespeare quote I have. Don't touch!

Try being pregnant and having strangers touch your belly. My neighbor did that once and it freaked me out. It made me very uncomfortable. After that i made sure if I saw him my tummy was covered or blocked from hands!

I once had a women try and brush cat hair, fuzz or something off my back quite aggressively while waiting in line at the gas station, like it was no big deal. Yes I yelled and looked like a complete B. but, no, just no, you don't do that to strangers.

No I agree. I know she was trying to help but that would drive me nuts!! I don't even like people i know being in my personal space.

Everyone is different but for me please stay out of my bubble unless I invite you in! lol

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

74Templar

mblahnikluver
Ok what are the things you don't like other people touching when they visit?

For me it's my kitchen.

Stay out of my bathroom and bedroom.

Don't touch my computer.

So what is off limits at your place?

Not exactly sure what kind of guests you have in your house, but my place is pretty much the neighbourhood hub for anyone and everyone, especially on the weekends. Weekdays it's usually kids getting dropped off and picked up, sometimes it feels like a bus station at my house 7 days a week...

Only family and friends. I don't like a lot of company. My place isn't that big for a lot of people. It's an apt.

Guests are permitted in the lounge room on movie nights, although we have a large outside projector we watch either on the side of the garage wall or sitting in the pool. About the only rule is no feet on the furniture regardless.

Movie night? Nice! Outside projector? That is cool! So when is movie night next?
lol

Feet on the furniture, that is one I can't win because we have leather and as long as you have no shoes on then you can have your feet up on the couch. It's easy to clean esp with a baby otherwise it would have been ruined already lol.

As for fridges, you can imagine the coming and going of kids and people grabbing drinks, I solved this by adding two outdoor fridges to my entertaining area, one with drinks for kids and general munchies, the other with alcohol for the adults. This way no one needs to go inside for anything. It is completely under cover, and has fold down weatherproofing for bad weather after all the rain we had last summer.

Again I live in an apt. I wish I had space for another freezer and fridge, just so I could stock up!!
If we had a house it would be a lot easier to keep people out of certain areas. It's not all people just certain family members that do it and drive me crazy no matter how many times I tell them.

As for my bedroom? I have a rule, keep it simple. Bed, two side tables, that's it. No electronics, no nothing, so I can't imagine why anyone would go in there in the first place. As for any electronics, my guests don't go near them. These days everyone pretty much has a smart phone anyway, so needing to use someone's internet is a thing of the past really.

I have no electronics in my room either. I do have a spare bathroom in there and that is usually why people go in there even though the main bathroom is in the hall and I NEVER use it. It is set up strictly for guests and when my husband comes home from overseas it's his bathroom.

If I had to answer your direct question, the two things are my bike and my bus. I get nervous when anyone asks "can I sit on your bike?" I usually answer by asking if I can dance a jig on top of their car. The bus is my baby, and although people can have a look inside, they get very quickly told not to touch anything.

HAHA. I like your response!

You have a bus?? What kind? Is it a VW bus?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

Are you my sister??

LOL

My sister is like this with her place. She went all psycho on my mom a while back for not taking her shoes off. She didn't even ask me to when I was 7 mths pregnant. I wasn't going to take them off unless she put them back on because taking shoes off and putting them back on while I was pregnant was something I needed assistance with in the end. So I guess if you are pregnant she won't be a shoe Nazi. small

I have always had tile or wood floors so I never really cared. We have carpet now and I have contemplated this since it's a smaller place. We have vinyl at the front door that looks like wood floors and I could put a small shoe rack there if I wanted to. I don't get that much traffic but it might help with the carpet over time with keeling it nice.

I haven ever had a problem with someone asking me to take my shoes off. I have only ever been asked a few times and it was the same house. They had nice shoe racks at the door. They had almost white carpet. I guess it was egg shell so I could see why they wanted no shoes in the house.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

who in the world would make fun of someone's feet? That's not a person I would want to go spend time with to be honest!

(Especially small feet! I always wanted small feet! I thought mine were too big! )

I have been told i have small Flintstone feet, you can have them. I always wanted bigger feet.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

geobro
for me it is simple things toothbrush razor and facecloth and hair brush and that is about it really if i was any more laid back i would be asleeeeeeeeeepppp

Toothbrush!? People try to touch your toothbrush?! Eww.

Yea razors are a one person kind of item for sure.

I had a friend who loved to help herself to my make up compact. It drove me nuts because I told her many times I do NOT share make up. Every time she used mine I had to toss it and buy a new one. Drove me nuts! I finally gave one to her and said here keep it, don't touch mine again or I'll break your finger! She never touched it again. lol

you would not believe the things people get up to with toothbrushes when they are working or staying in your home their are some evil people out in that big bad world

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

God, do I wish. I reckon some weekends I could put $100 a car on each vehicle parked outside my place and easily make a weeks pay. When you have property outside of town though, it becomes party central most weekends...

My lounge is microfibre, so it attracts dirt like nothing else. I do allow feet on the ottoman, but only socks and bare feet, and NO food or drink whatsoever.

I got the idea from a friend who had the same idea of entertaining while keeping people outside. The garage borders the pool so we have a freewheeling projector carriage that can be set up on pretty much any wall. There's a place south of me called Wet and Wild, a water themed park that has a pool style drive in movie theatre. I thought hell why not, and the idea was born. Not so effective in summer when it rains a lot here, but it's awesome to sit outside on a clear night and watch a movie.

My bus is an old interstater coach, about 15m (40ft) long. It's fully decked out for travel with beds, lounges, bathroom and tv/dvd setup. At work right now, but I will try to find a decent pic later and post it up.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

OpinionatedB

I have been told i have small Flintstone feet, you can have them. I always wanted bigger feet.

OMG, that is EXACTLY what they said to me. I have short (size 6 if I am lucky) but wide feet. I got called Flintstone feet and it has always made me super self conscious about them.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
haha forgive me.. but i've never come across a thread that sounded so xenophobic as this...
i'm reading a lot of different things here on ATS and some are quite informative and exciting...
the posts give insight into the poster's personality.

anyway, a guest is someone you "welcome" into your humble abode, that goes without saying, for etiquette and good standing, that he/she is welcome to any part of your home without you having to distress him/her that place is off-limits. if you intend to mark some places as off-limits, then you should put appropriate signs like padlock your kitchen or bathroom or put obstructions that clearly says nobody is allowed entry. that way, everyone both guests and relatives is free from making the mistake of letting their curiosity get the better of them.

my friend once told me that when you lend something to someone, you're pretty much giving it away. i think a similar principle applies the moment you let someone enter the door, they might think they're allowed entry to any part of the house as long as there's free unobstructed access to it.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

tomoe723
haha forgive me.. but i've never come across a thread that sounded so xenophobic as this...
i'm reading a lot of different things here on ATS and some are quite informative and exciting...

anyway, a guest is someone you "welcome" into your humble abode, that goes without saying, for etiquette and good standing, that he/she is welcome to any part of your home without you having to distress him/her that place is off-limits. if you intend to mark some places as off-limits, then you should put appropriate signs like padlock your kitchen or bathroom or put obstructions that clearly says nobody is allowed entry. that way, everyone both guests and relatives is free from making the mistake of letting their curiosity get the better of them.

my friend once told me that when you lend something to someone, you're pretty much giving it away. i think a similar principle applies the moment you let someone enter the door, they might think they're allowed entry to any part of the house as long as there's free unobstructed access to it.

I disagree, there is such a thing as privacy and respect. Being a guest does not convey the right to be nosy and invasive.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Iamschist

tomoe723

I disagree, there is such a thing as privacy and respect. Being a guest does not convey the right to be nosy and invasive.

not all guests are like that.. if they were, i wouldn't have posted what i posted above.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tomoe723

that goes without saying, for etiquette and good standing, that he/she is welcome to any part of your home without you having to distress him/her that place is off-limits.

I was primarily responding to this statement, and the overall tone that a guest has special privileges, I don't agree. I don't mind distressing someone I catch in say my bathroom or bedroom either. I see what you are saying, you are thinking about graciousness.

Edited to add, I no longer have guests, so I guess I should hush up,
lol
edit on 5-11-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

tomoe723

anyway, a guest is someone you "welcome" into your humble abode, that goes without saying, for etiquette and good standing, that he/she is welcome to any part of your home without you having to distress him/her that place is off-limits.

Xenophobic? What happened to good-old fashioned manners? What happened to respecting another's property and space? So you'd be ok with even a friend just waltzing into the place where you slept, your kid's rooms, and because it's a guest then it's fine? So I suppose you'd be cool with your 'guest' going through your draws too?

I think as a guest you should have respect for your host, and understand it is their property you are on, and different rules may apply than which you would have if you were the host. Even the kids that come to my house know enough to ask the areas they are allowed and disallowed in (such as bedrooms), and something like that should be a given, even without saying so.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   

74Templar
Xenophobic? What happened to good-old fashioned manners? What happened to respecting another's property and space? So you'd be ok with even a friend just waltzing into the place where you slept, your kid's rooms, and because it's a guest then it's fine? So I suppose you'd be cool with your 'guest' going through your draws too?

I think as a guest you should have respect for your host, and understand it is their property you are on, and different rules may apply than which you would have if you were the host. Even the kids that come to my house know enough to ask the areas they are allowed and disallowed in (such as bedrooms), and something like that should be a given, even without saying so.

i view it as xenophobic when you don't want guests in your kitchen, unless of course you're a chef and you tell your guests to not worry about the food and just leave it to you.

and yes, i am fine with a friend getting inside my room or my kid's room, he is a friend and a valued guest after all. if i had unannounced unfamiliar guests come over, i would tell my kids to close the doors to their rooms (and lock if necessary) so that guests don't make the mistake of getting in there "uninvited".

unfortunately, not all guests are as mindful as you think they'd be, therefore, rather than telling them where to go or not go (which might be construed as rude or uneasiness--or xenophobic in my case) its better to lock doors or place signs of no entry.
edit on 302013112013America/Chicago723 by tomoe723 because: spelling and grammar

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

tomoe723

i view it as xenophobic when you don't want guests in your kitchen, unless of course you're a chef and you tell your guests to not worry about the food and just leave it to you.

Shouldn't matter really. The only reason guests would need to go into your kitchen is to get a drink, or perhaps place dirty dishes in the sink, something really a good host should cover for. Areas like lounge room, toilet and kitchen are really open areas in most houses anyway, except obviously in terms of cupboards and draws.

and yes, i am fine with a friend getting inside my room or my kid's room, he is a friend and a valued guest after all. if i had unannounced unfamiliar guests come over, i would tell my kids to close the doors to their rooms (and lock if necessary) so that guests don't make the mistake of getting in there "uninvited".

Mmm, no. The point here is that a guest should have no reason to venture outside the aforementioned areas for any reason. Guests, whether they be close friends or acquaintances should as a rule not need to go near personal areas. Why should I have to shut the doors of my house as some kind of guide as to where I want and don't want people? To me, anyone who is just wandering into my bedroom or my kid's rooms when they should already know such an area is just off limits is not someone I want in my house anyway.

My first thought if someone, a guest or a friend was in there, would be just what are they looking for? Are they thinking to steal something? You seem to portray us as some kind of fusspot host running around like C3PO telling everybody off. I've never once had to tell anyone in my house where they can and can't be, as my guests they already have that respect not to go into private areas, just as I would being in their house. And that's with having 50+ people around.

edit on 5/11/2013 by 74Templar because: eta

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   

74Templar
Shouldn't matter really. The only reason guests would need to go into your kitchen is to get a drink, or perhaps place dirty dishes in the sink, something really a good host should cover for. Areas like lounge room, toilet and kitchen are really open areas in most houses anyway, except obviously in terms of cupboards and draws.

Mmm, no. The point here is that a guest should have no reason to venture outside the aforementioned areas for any reason. Guests, whether they be close friends or acquaintances should as a rule not need to go near personal areas. Why should I have to shut the doors of my house as some kind of guide as to where I want and don't want people? To me, anyone who is just wandering into my bedroom or my kid's rooms when they should already know such an area is just off limits is not someone I want in my house anyway.

My first thought if someone, a guest or a friend was in there, would be just what are they looking for? Are they thinking to steal something? You seem to portray us as some kind of fusspot host running around like C3PO telling everybody off. I've never once had to tell anyone in my house where they can and can't be, as my guests they already have that respect not to go into private areas, just as I would being in their house. And that's with having 50+ people around.

edit on 5/11/2013 by 74Templar because: eta

that's what you'd think, but i've had guests who wanted to help with the cooking, like chopping garlic or some veggies, or even help to prepare the table. and as much as i'd feel awkward having my guests do that, it depends on the situation and disposition of their offer to help should i decline their assistance or not.

as for guests going inside personal areas, it's a matter of the degree of closeness they have to you and your family. a friend might venture into my son's room to check in and say hi for example...

My first thought if someone, a guest or a friend was in there, would be just what are they looking for? Are they thinking to steal something?

this i view as xenophobic.. why should i place doubt on my guest? if i did, i wouldn't let him set foot beyond the door in the first place.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join