It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the highest % beer??? Who makes better beer anyway, Canadians or Americans???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

dogsounds
Psssh, lagers are not beers! That's just fizzy water for children and mouth breathers.

Ale is the proper man's beer of choice, and the best are European. My personal favourites are Dunham Milk Stout (although it's only 4%, it's DELISH) and Robinson's Old Tom, which varies but is at least 8-9%, often more.

Oh yes Robinsons's Old Tom. I remember my student days and the local pub had a barrel of Old Tom on the bar. They would only ever serve the stuff in half pints!

You can now buy bottles in Asda yahooo! Not as good as the cask variety but nice nonetheless.

Back to the OP. The best beer is not the chilled variety (as dogsounds has intimated) but the original cask ales that the Brits have been brewing for hundreds of years. some of these cask ales, like Old Tom,are very strong both in alcohol and always in flavour. There is such a variety of flavours there is no point in stating which the best is. Some folks, like me, like a very bitter beer. Others like my dad like the sweeter beers. That said I quite like Boddington's that has a hint of honey.....oh my god back to my student days and the infamous 4 pint Bodcan with the rubber stopper ! Yes folks 4 pints in a can !

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This Canuck prefers Dutch, Polish and Czech beers. Our beer has no flavor in comparison.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Brewmeister Brewey in Scottland, %67.7 per volume according to this nifty thing that just popped up on my facebook!

Source

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Nah man your barking up the wrong tree altogether...

Everyone knows the Irish make the best beer....

Ooops.... make that drinks the most beer....
edit on 2/11/13 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Dude! You have to investigate Belgian beers.

en.wikipedia.org...

Some are as high in alcohol as wines and I have yet to drink a Belgian beer that don't like.

Having said that, when touring the US, I had some of the most sublime beer at the Magnolia pub on the corner of Haight and Ashbury, San Francisco. They had (have? I was there in 2006) a beer based on a belgian Trappist yeast. It was straight out of heaven. More complex than some of the best wines I've had. (and I'm mostly a wine affectionado). If you have the chance. Go check if they still have it.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

British Ales are in my opinion, the best on the face of the Earth, mostly because they and other similar tipple has been brewed here for century upon century, since the first of the brewers, who were monks back in ancient days, started concocting drunk making liquids.

The variety of different hops and flavours available to artisan brewers here in England alone, never mind the rest of the British Isles, could have a persons taste buds busy for decades.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Beer quality is determined by brewery, not country. America and Canada each produce great bear, and also much horse-piss.

The highest I've had was a 26% belgian beer, Struise Black Damnation V.
edit on 2-11-2013 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

TrueBrit

British Ales are in my opinion, the best on the face of the Earth, mostly because they and other similar tipple has been brewed here for century upon century, since the first of the brewers, who were monks back in ancient days, started concocting drunk making liquids.

The variety of different hops and flavours available to artisan brewers here in England alone, never mind the rest of the British Isles, could have a persons taste buds busy for decades.
England has some fantastic real ales on the menu i used to love working in the country as do belgium and germany for lagers and pilsners .

with so many brewers using genetically modified products i tend to stick to what i know and the smaller micro brewers in the south of england take some beating .

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I always liked Pabst Blue Ribbon.
It's the ambrosia of mankind. 1 if by land, 2 if by sea and all that.

But the best beer I have ever tasted is Smith's Black Porter, it's dreamy. Becks always tastes a bit skunky to me.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Aphorism

Beer quality is determined by brewery, not country. America and Canada each produce great bear, and also much horse-piss.

I don't even need to get near that stuff!! LOL!! no way man!!

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Aphorism

It seems you are the only other person in this thread who actually knows what they are talking about. For all the fancy pants euro folk out there bashing American beer, come to Colorado, Oregon, California, Delaware, etc and try some of this country's fine micro brews. Just like the country itself, the American beer scene is a mash up of basically the entire world. If there is a style of beer brewed anywhere on this planet, it's also brewed in America. And American brewers are brewing styles that nobody else is brewing, as well as inventing new styles.

At my local big box supermarket I can get stouts, porters, russian immperial stouts, ipas, cdas, iras, berlinerweisse, shandys, barleywines, hefeweizen, pumpkin ales, brown ales, red ales, fruit ales, belgian styles, rye beer, bocks, dopplebocks, chocholate stouts, etc etc that are all made right here in America, and are all excellent examples of the style. Many of the micro brews average around 6-7% alcohol with many being around %10, and some higher (DFH worldwide stout is 18% and barely has any alcohol presence at all) To say American beer sucks only proves you know nothing about beer.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

The answer is snake venom.
snake venom

Beer takes a while to grow on you if you just start drinking it. I hated at firsy and now I get craving (and not to get drunk). If you don't like beer.. drink liqour?

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tridentblue

Russia, Mexico, or Kentucky. Not America, just Kentucky.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

This.

You can get small batch beers in both America and Canada. If the US has an edge it would probably only be because their are so many varieties of micro brews.

I'm gonna name drop a place because I visted there recently and they had some amazing in house micro brews. If you are ever in Gatlinburg TN, hit up the Smokey Mountain Brewery, and do it on a Thursday.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Russians do different strengths of Blatika which comes in quite a large bottle.
Up to 17% if I remember.
Sledgehammer hangover though.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I don't think beer travels well.
So I drink local.

Something "icky" lately.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Now I might try that! lol!! Cheers!!

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

You should!
It honors our state fossil...
I like that you can tell different batches by just subtle differences...Like a vintage.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I'll give it a shot (near me is a place that sell a 1000 brands next time I'm there I'll check it out) I tried a lot of beers in the Navy. I did like san miguel beer Philippines, some beer in Africa..Tusk or something I forget..and others lol!!

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Ales and stouts are more my thing.

I prefer a dark English stout with a nice creamy froth and a rich carmel after taste. Toss in some seasonal fruit for a specialty microbrew, and I'm in pub-drinking heaven.

When I do drink a Canadian "beer", I only drink Alexander Keith's Red Amber Ale. Anything else tastes like horsepiss to me.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join