It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ObamaPhones didn't replenish minutes on November 1st, according to Two Friends of mine....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Kr0nZ
reply to post by sheepslayer247

and just how do you think these people would get a job if there's no phone for prospective employers to call them on?

Really? Do you think the lady in the one posted video is concerned with finding employment?
I don't have a phone. Where there's a will, there's a way.
edit on 1-11-2013 by Simon_Boudreaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Hold on...there is hope yet!

Obamaphone Lady is back & she ain't votin for Obama!

Oh yeesh - you can't make this stuff up...lol

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AlchemistSwami

If you have one of these phones you are a failure..........You really are. It is sad to see just how far people have fallen and the lack of pride is epic.

I work with a scum bag who actually said it was not stealing when the food stamp cards glitched and the pathetic eaters used it for everything it was worth. So many people with so little pride. And the saddest part is most are to stupid to even see it.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Good. I'm glad to hear her say this.

I can't help but wonder if she still has the phone.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

SubTruth

If you have one of these phones you are a failure..........You really are. It is sad to see just how far people have fallen and the lack of pride is epic.

So true. What's sadder, is the people who think we should provide all these things for the poor and actually defend it.

I work with a scum bag who actually said it was not stealing when the food stamp cards glitched and the pathetic eaters used it for everything it was worth. So many people with so little pride. And the saddest part is most are to stupid to even see it.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them stupid. They've been raised this way to believe they're entitled to it, and that we the working class should earn it for them. The days of hard work and the pride of seeing what that hard work has made for you are long gone. The cradle to grave welfare system has to stop. Problem is that the parents are teaching their kids how to milk the system. We have entire families in my town on welfare, and they have been all their lives.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
and i never eh pot kettle black americans calling brits the nanny state free phones and a free car to get there well not in this country .

not unless you are foreign that is

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

ah that just makes it all the better see this is why i like ats,when i came to the thread i thought it was a joke and not real and through few helpfull members ive found out that this does in fact date back to Regan and goes to show exactly how long this program has been around and how much its changed with the technology of the day

www.alternet.org... indeed part of early emergency planning originally in case of emergency or natural disasters and those in serious medical need and actually has its roots in 1934 of all times and places

But it’s the right that are going to end up looking like the ignorant fools. What Limbaugh, Malzberg -- and likely the majority of the million people who viewed the video -- didn’t know was that these “Obama Phones” are actually a creation of their beloved Ronald Reagan, who began the program in 1984. Actually called the “Lifeline program,” the legislation permits some households to receive a free landline under Congress’s rationale that "telephone service provides a vital link to emergency services, government services and surrounding communities." That idea dates back to 1934, under the Communications Act, but Reagan was the first to actually implement the legislation. The program grew under President Clinton, who recognized the advent of the newfangled new technology of cordless phones and expanded it to include cell phones. To qualify for the program you must live in a household with an income near the poverty line or be already qualified for other assistance programs like public housing or food stamps.
so yeah i came here not even knowing this program was a thing now and it turns out its from waaaay back in the day

www.americanthinker.com... this appears to be almost a counter point to the previous articles so figured other members might apreciate this link as well

www.monroenews.com... one other link

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Being South African my mind kind of boggled when I first saw people on welfare in the US got free cellphones+airtime.In my country welfare is not nearly as generous,and I don't know if any other government's welfare programs are?
In my mind food, shelter and medical assistance is all that should be covered by these programs,and it is a foreign concept to me that the taxpayer should foot the bill for what is essentially a luxury.

One has to wonder where the motivation to try and improve one's own circumstances would originate,if one gets given not just the basics but luxuries too.I can understand it in cases where folks are elderly and or disabled/has serious medical problems-but in general I think it's wrong your working folks have to subsidise through their taxes,such things as free cellphones +airtime for those on welfare.

The more items+services you rely on government for,the more they can put you in dire straits by withholding it.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Simon_Boudreaux

Where there is a will there is a Way.

Ecactly.

In my country many of the the poor and unemployed on welfare who wants to own a cell grab a bucket and cloth,and head into town(on foot if they don't have fare for transport) and offer to wash cars for a bit of cash,etc.Or they walk around looking for employment as gardeners,or housepainters,whatever they can do.Not just for cellphones but in general to supplement the fairly meagre government grants and welfare.Because they are not handed luxuries,a helluva lot of unemployed folks here choose to Work for them in any way they can.And in doing so end up actually being self-employed,even if their entire business consists of a bucket,cloth and soap.
At the end of the day,if the government had to cut back on welfare payouts/benefits,these folks would be in a better position than the ones sitting on their asses depending on said gov for every blue dime.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

When we were growing up we rarely had phone service. Between us and the neighbors... we took calls for others and they did the same for us if we needed it. It just depended on who could afford the phone bill that month. I kid you not. People tend to do what needs to be done....if they REALLY need to do it. Sometimes it is hard. It is what it is.

I think most people have an issue because there are a lot of folks who work a 40 (or more) hour work week and can not afford cell phone service and to see others getting it tends to piss a few folks off. Nobody would fuss about the elderly shut in that needed a land line... but cellphone service that includes (if I am not mistaken) 200 texts (which is not a necessity and doesn't cost the owner a dime) and data (for just a few bucks a month) is a luxury A LOT of working people can't afford.

It's the system. It's broken. When a working man/woman can look at his neighbor who does nothing all day and he can SEE that the neighbor has it BETTER than he does for FREE it makes one wonder... Why the hell should anybody work? It shouldn't be that way, but that is the case for most people that get mad over this stuff. You struggle to just stay afloat, while others just sail on through milking the system.

The system needs to burn and something else needs to be done. What, I don't know. It's way above my pay grade, but you don't have to be a genius to see that what's going on isn't right.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Kr0nZ

and just how do you think these people would get a job if there's no phone for prospective employers to call them on?

The same way I got every damn job before I had a cellphone! Call me where I live or on whatever phone I have access to (friends, family, neighbor). If people aren't resourceful enough for stuff like this, they don't deserve a anyone's help.
edit on 2-11-2013 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Double post sry.
edit on 2-11-2013 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You know, I could see if these obamaphones were free, but the only free airtime you get is to call emergency numbers. That I could swallow, and no fancy blackberry type phones either. Free landline, sure, that I could see, you do need one to have a chance at getting employment. Free cell phones, with free minutes so you can yack to your friends, that seems a bit over the top for tax payers to swallow.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Kr0nZ

Well once upon a long time ago I had no money to pay for a phone(or even bus fare for that matter) so I walked from business to business filling out applications and setting up interviews. I then returned to these businesses on a weekly basis until I landed a job and purchased my own phone(land line since cells weren't available yet). On another note the original post stated that they contacted the O-phone recipient by E-mail. Couldn't an employer do the same?(Sir I have been unemployed for a while and do not have phone service. Could you please contact me by E-mail or leave a message with my friend/relative)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

AlchemistSwami
To answer your question, the US Government thinks this program should exist.

Lol.

The "government" also thinks that Arabs with boxcutters did 9/11. They think that Sadam had WMD. They think that Qaddafi was a bad guy threatening his citizens.

This same "government" thinks Israeli murder, torture and theft and other atrocities are A-OK.

So ..... how do we find a doctor under obamacare to diagnose this government? I suspect national schizophrenia or rabies.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Op.. Why dont you just have your friends move in with you, and they can use YOUR phone! Your paying for their phones anyway....(assuming you have a job and are not milking the system too )....You do realize you are paying for all of the free programs that your friends are using., and it sounds like you have ALOT of friends ,and whole families,working the system...so...since your friends, who are contributing so much to society, need help...just have them move in, and problem solved!

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Could be a system issue, computer programming issue, and yes, probably related to the economy, the IT dept. is probably not on work but on furlough. IT is always hit first.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Raxoxane

Being South African my mind kind of boggled when I first saw people on welfare in the US got free cellphones+airtime.In my country welfare is not nearly as generous,and I don't know if any other government's welfare programs are?
In my mind food, shelter and medical assistance is all that should be covered by these programs,and it is a foreign concept to me that the taxpayer should foot the bill for what is essentially a luxury.

One has to wonder where the motivation to try and improve one's own circumstances would originate,if one gets given not just the basics but luxuries too.I can understand it in cases where folks are elderly and or disabled/has serious medical problems-but in general I think it's wrong your working folks have to subsidise through their taxes,such things as free cellphones +airtime for those on welfare.

The more items+services you rely on government for,the more they can put you in dire straits by withholding it.

The Phone program is very old from the early days of Americas first phone systems. In return for allowing phone companies to have monopolies they had to start a fund that would make phones affordable for everybody including the poor. The latest version of this called the lifeline program comes from 1984 and President Reagan. It does not come from taxes. Of course you have some morons who call it an Obamaphone because they lack any knowledge of Americas history and are to lazy to read. This used to be a program for your home phone but, as cell phone service became cheaper than home service they changed it to be more cost effective. In the US now you have to have phone to get a job.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Cellphone service cheaper than landline? Where? Certainly not in NY.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

TKDRL
reply to post by MrSpad

Cellphone service cheaper than landline? Where? Certainly not in NY.

Not in Virginia either! ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join