It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$40M Mansion Turned Soup Kitchen. Thanks Mr. Pope!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Yup. The "Bishop of Bling" was sacked and his stately establishment converted into a far more Christian business: feeding the poor.

Catholic church officials in his home diocese (Limburg) announced today that the Bishop of Bling’s multi-million euro residence might now be turned into a refugee center or a soup kitchen for the homeless.

“The residence is like an inherited sin which the bishop has left in his wake,” said a spokesman for Caritas, an organization that aids the homeless. “People who seek sanctuary with us could be given food in the residence,” he added.

www.inquisitr.com...

Ok, it isn't set in stone. But if it happens, Francis will certainly have turned my head. How about you guys? Think this is the pope we've been waiting for?

ETA: Thank you mods for moving the thread. I'm on my phone right now. It's a miracle I even got this thread posted. But I had to try. Pope's makin' waves, mon!
edit on 1-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

His perceptions on the materialism can be viewed as logical...

NAMASTE*******

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Gives you hope doesn't he, Francis? Comparatively speaking he is not on the same level as his namesake, but he is way ahead of the last one in caring about people. Good for him!

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I think Jesus would have approved.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

It is good PR after that scandal off course.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Zweistein

You mean the bishop he fired? Yeah, this kinda made his feelings clear on the matter.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Yes, but I heard he was suspended, not fired.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

I agree with you. :thumbsup:

2nd

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this one. I'd had hopes that this Pope would be different and he seemed to be from his first day. He's proving to be the guy I'd hoped he'd be. The Catholic Church has desperately needed leadership working to follow the teachings and not simply push them while doing the polar opposite.

This Bishop ought to serve hard time for that. How many people in his former area there are hungry or lack some basics the Church couldn't help them with ...while 40 MILLION dollars went to support that scumbag? (WHAT do you spend that much ON?! Does he have Golden toilets like some of Saddam's palaces??)

I have nothing but respect for the Church itself. However, the men within it can certainly include some who have no business as a member of the parish, let alone being a leader of it. Let the good Bishop hold mass on the cell block.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

1 cannot speak objectively for the LAMB but can see your point made AfterInfinity...

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What does the bishop spend it on? Bibles. Lots and lots of bibles...

/sarcasm

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Ok, it isn't set in stone. But if it happens, Francis will certainly have turned my head. How about you guys? Think this is the pope we've been waiting for?

Something a pope should do. Do we really have to congratulate him on the effort? Plus there is the whole "wolf in sheep's clothing" thing, so time will tell.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Did you congratulate your kid after successful potty training? Positive reinforcement dude. And I'm just plain happy to see this pope making a difference.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by boncho

Did you congratulate your kid after successful potty training? Positive reinforcement dude. And I'm just plain happy to see this pope making a difference.

Well, unless my kid has been hiding poo in the fridge… The Catholic Church has a history, while I applaud the effort, I will stick with "time will tell."

It's not as though the organization has a history of using moral superiority and goodwill to block their dark side.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Meanwhile, I won't begrudge them a good pat on the back. Good show chap, that sort of thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
While the Catholic church does have a dark history, and undoing said history is going to be long and hard on the part of the church, there is something that can be stated:

What more do people want? This church, has been around for a very long time, at one time was in control of much of the known world at the time. It as a leading path of faith, from which all other Christian Churches have come from, and can trace their origins back to. While it is not perfect, and far from it, having under gone all sorts of the same sort of problems as a country has gone through, for many years, it appeared as though the Popes and cardinals were ignoring the plight of those they were trying to guide.

For years, many people wanted the changes in the Church. They would beg and plead with such, even asking for admissions from the Church, or even apologies. And for many times, the Church, and the popes have refused or at least chose to ignore the pleas and cries for such.

Now there is a Pope that sits on the Throne of St. Peter. And for all intents and purposes, he is trying to make changes in the Church, to turn and change its mandates and wanting to show and set an example of that of faith. And is this a bad thing? Should not such be more celebrated and encouraged? An act of kindness and compassion in a world so distraught with war and strife is one that should be looked at as a beacon in a dark night.

And what all has this pope done since being made pope? Well he got rid of the riches that normally surrounds the pope. He has a vision and the drive of a leader, looking at the suffering of people and is directing one of the largest organizations out there to do the compassionate thing and start to take the steps to rectify the problems in the Catholic Church. And if this helps alleviate the suffering and bring hope that just maybe that if the Church can be Reformed, it is a good sign.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I think it would be great, but why not sell the house and take the money and build a facility to house and feed the homeless. It does set an example to other's. I like this Pope. I just wish other's would follow his example. Bet they are kicking themselves for voting him in. lol.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by silverflame

Sure, sell the house for money to house and feed the homeless.

...Or just keep the one they have already and use that instead.
edit on 2-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join