It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC prosecutors TERRIFIED by billboards advocating JURY NULLIFICATION.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The billboards were put up strategically in subway stops that potential jurors would pass through on their way to court. They inform jurors of their right to nullify laws which they see as unjust and whose penalty does not match the crime.

Prosecutors and judges are terrified of the idea of juries thinking for themselves and judging the laws as well as the facts of the cases. They fear that the people might wrest back some margin of control away from our out-of-control government.

Billboard advocating jury nullification concerns local prosecutors

Prospective jurors who take the subway to D.C. Superior Court and exit near the National Building Museum see these words: “Good jurors nullify bad laws” and “You have the right to ‘hang’ the jury with your vote if you cannot agree with other jurors.”

Since the billboard went up this month, District prosecutors have been worried that the message could sway their cases. In the past week alone, they have asked judges in three ­cases to ensure that jurors had neither seen nor been influenced by the billboard.

Washington Post

They go on to list the cases in which prosecutors made sure jurors had not seen the signs. The examples show that prosecutors have no idea what jury nullification is all about. The billboards clearly state "No victim, no crime" and yet the cases the prosecutors were most worried about were all cases of assault or murder where this principle would not apply. Nobody believes that putting violent criminals in jail is in any way an unjust law. It is the victimless crimes they are trying to influence jurors to exercise their own judgement on.

Find out more about the Fully Informed Jury Association here to see why this right is so important to protecting us from an overreaching government.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

That is awesome! God forbid a juror actually be informed and know their rights and the law. Lawyers just want stupid sheep on the jury so they can manipulate and intimidate them.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

They go on to list the cases in which prosecutors made sure jurors had not seen the signs.

That is just so wrong! The jury need to be aware of these provisions if they are to do their job! It is that simple! Taking rights away from a jury or making sure they are not aware of their rights is just so wrong.

Those Prosecutors and the judges who sit there making sure jurors remain in the dark should be sitting in jail themselves for attempting to pervert the course of justice. What is wrong with the US legal system. It seems it is just broken.

P

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It's one of those things where if you don't exercise your rights, you forfeit them. The establishment for years has worked hard to suppress the knowledge of jurors' rights, because it servers the state's interest for juries to be compliant.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I love jury nullification, and I have resolved myself to always go not guilty with any victimless crime.

"Oh, no one or no property was hurt except the accused? Well, not guilty!"

This is not about a guy smoking some illicit substance or other trivial matter it is about control. Judges and prosecutors want to control and intimidate the courtroom and this makes them lose that power. Not to mention the kickbacks from the privatized for profit prisons.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I was foreman on a jury once. During a recess I asked if everyone was aware of what jury nullification was. I was removed from the jury by the judge (somebody was spying) and I have NEVER been 'selected for jury duty since.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

blamethegreys
It's one of those things where if you don't exercise your rights, you forfeit them. The establishment for years has worked hard to suppress the knowledge of jurors' rights, because it servers the state's interest for juries to be compliant.

Don't you mean serves the state's interests?

Compliant : Adjective
Inclined to agree with others or obey rules, esp. to an excessive degree; acquiescent.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Victimless crime. Those two words seem so opposite that it seems absurd for nations and states to continue to prosecute them. Jurors who follow the practice of nullification are just acting ahead of their time, as those crimes today will become, as they always do, the mainstream of tomorrow.

edit on 1-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

It all goes back to this pimp.

Of course UCC 1-207 has been moved to UCC 1-308 please sign with that.

If you don't assert your rights, you'll get ran over as any court case will show you.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Komodo
flag

this

to

the

sky !!!!

Unless I'm wrong flags on this won't get it onto the main page. It will have to change forums for that. Maybe the OP can request a move, and then the main page can be graced with this informative thread.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It's strange that most people do not want to participate on a jury but are concerned about juries making the fair or right choices.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by qwerty12345

Can you give a brief summary of the vids you posted?

There are 3 and each one is about 2 hours long. If they're interesting, I'll bookmark and watch them when I have a few hours to spare.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

These videos are basically a template to fight pretty much every victimless crime brought against you. He cites court cases and what not. He's a veteran that was apart of project blue book. That's not the blue book ufo people are thinking about. If you live in the United States, I implore you to watch these videos. It is extremely worth your time.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Actually that has always been the law and something that all jurors need to do all the time. Something about that in law 11 long ago.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

roadgravel
It's strange that most people do not want to participate on a jury but are concerned about juries making the fair or right choices.

No what's strange is the timeline and engineering that went into turning jurys from honorable and civic duty to a chore and a hassle .

A joke.

The fact i would never be picked because i have no qualms against innocents until proven guilty

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

Then you are the person who should be on a jury. Given some of the direction of our country, good jurors are important as ever.

edit on 11/2/2013 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The great thing about all of this is that it was done with only $3,000, raised through social media sites over the course of just one week.

James Babb, a Philadelphia-based graphics artist who organized a fundraising campaign to put up the billboard, said he raised $3,000 in about a week through Facebook and other ­social-media sites. He said he is concerned about laws that he thinks are too restrictive.

WP

This has prosecutors scrambling in the area the billboards were put up. Imagine if they were to collect some REAL money and put these up near courthouses all across the nation.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

BlubberyConspiracy

blamethegreys

Don't you mean serves the state's interests?

Compliant : Adjective
Inclined to agree with others or obey rules, esp. to an excessive degree; acquiescent.

I just got grammar nazi-ed and I am completely clueless as to why. Is it interest vs. interests? And as far as i know I used compliant correctly.
Here, have a sad puppy to restore your humanity.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

qwerty12345
reply to post by Riffrafter

These videos are basically a template to fight pretty much every victimless crime brought against you. He cites court cases and what not. He's a veteran that was apart of project blue book. That's not the blue book ufo people are thinking about. If you live in the United States, I implore you to watch these videos. It is extremely worth your time.

OK - Thanks. For some reason I got the sense you didn't like him.

Maybe it was when you called him a "pimp"?

Will try and watch some of it later tonight...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join