It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media and knee jerk reactions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Today I saw a post makin the rounds on FB, this girl posted something about her food stamps getting reduced down to $1,100.00 and people ripping on her for this because its an absurd amount of benefits. My first thought in my head was wow I only spend like $30 a week but I'm a baller like that and don't have any dependants. Then when I thought about it for a minute that's absurd amount of money because it was an error it has to be right?

Thinking before posting won't stop the hordes of Fb an twit warriors ever! Mob mentality rules on social media.

If anything gains any traction it just seems people are forced to join in. It might be the most ridiculous post but if it gets over say 20likes there's a good chance everyone who sees it is gonna like it too.

The same thing happens here, stars flags yea you need a couple and the thread needs tractions those two factors determine sharing more than the content while not every well liked post thread comment etc is of high quality. All of them with a big enough audience and a certain quota of well liked* starred* flagged* or shared* and you can expect the masses to follow. Don't call me a hipster, or not conspiracy enough. That is all.
edit on 51pm51q000000pm302013-11-01T19:06:51-05:000707 by SasquatchHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
how does a blank post get a star and flag... OOOOOH I get it... is that commentary on the title...

ETA:

People are dumb, Individuals are smart, a tale as old as time.
edit on 1-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yea my fat thumb grazed the post button instead of typing box.

There's a lot of merit in that saying but is it really why these social behaviors exist?
edit on 16pm16q000000pm302013-11-01T19:36:16-05:000707 by SasquatchHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If we look at human history through the perspective that we are animals, born and bred here, on this planet, we can easily understand that for most of our history we have been creatures of the herd.

Before we lived in tribes? We ran in herds. Wild herds. Follow the leader.
When we study neuro-psychology, we discover that for the most part we do nothing more than follow patterns, patterns within our society and patterns with in our neuro programing.

From this perspective, the idea of individuals cutting their own course, is only a drop in the bucket of the history of human behavior.

If that.
edit on 1-11-2013 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

I think that is a valid point, and there's possibly more ways to approach the subject of this kind of social behavior. People are alot more similar than they realize and or people just love to be a part of something no matter how irrelevant or meaningless it is aslong as its socially accepted? Is it more of an issue with time we only have so much time to make use of the information we recieve. Is it just too time consuming to think?
edit on 20pm20qupm302013-11-01T19:40:20-05:000707 by SasquatchHunter because: (no reason given)

join