It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking Mercy In Oklahoma: Woe To Those Who Call Evil Good

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Didn't know where to put this, so....

I normally don't post in this subject area because it's a minefield and I truly believe that it's an inalienable private right. As the right to private religious belief is inalienable.

I have friends that would never choose abortion and I respect that even as I disagree and support them in their beliefs and expect the same respect from them. That is democracy, that is humanity and that, my friends, is Christian.

I saw this heart rending bit and had to post it:

www.commondreams.org...

In a reflection on the sorry state of women's access to health services, the heartrending story of Jessica and Erick Davis, a young broke couple from Oklahoma who had to borrow several thousand dollars to travel with their three kids to Texas - yes, Texas, currently working hard to eliminate or dramatically limit abortion - to terminate Jessica's male fetus, which had been diagnosed with a fatal brain malformation called holoprosencephaly. The GOP legislature in Oklahoma, which has passed at least 16 laws restricting abortion, prides itself on being the reddest, most "pro-life" state in the country, and has become a kind of staging ground for the anti-abortion movement. Jessica, who tearfully describes having funeral homes mock or turn her away when she asked for "a proper burial" for her fetus, says she acted "so that our son would not suffer.” One blogger blasts her for that view - "Rather than facing up to their evil and seeking divine redemption and forgiveness, they are clothing their actions as thoroughly righteous and merciful" - and many online comments echo him. Some days, our savagery as a species seems to know no bounds.

edit on 1-11-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

FyreByrd

I have friends that would never choose abortion and I respect that even as I disagree and support them in their beliefs and expect the same respect from them. That is democracy, that is humanity and that, my friends, is Christian.

No it isnt democracy, it isnt religion. Its tolerance.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Democracy is not Christian. It's Greek. And Greeks were known more for their pantheist roots than any Christian influence. There's a reason their artwork features pagan symbols galore.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

First of all let me state that I lean towards Libertarianism and believe everyone has the right to do what they choose as long as it doesn't affect others.

However, with Abortion I do have a problem. If I believe it is murder (which I do and not for religious reasons, because I am not religious) how can I sit by with a clean conscience and let it continue? If people are being murdered in camps which were officially condoned by Nazis wouldn't I STILL be complicit in these murders if I did nothing? I see abortion as legalized genocide much like Nazi Germany.

I know this is not a PC belief, but do you see my problem with conscience here? So I sit here and do nothing and feel like crap each time I hear about another murdered baby and feel like a scum because I am complicit and stand by and do nothing.

What would you do if you believed in a live and let live philosophy, but felt as though millions were being murdered while you did nothing?

Anyway, that is what I am dealing with and I have yet to resolve my internal conflict.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

It's a shame we treat animals better than ourselves. We euthanize animals when they are in pain and have no other treatment for a cure. Yet we allow human beings to endure pain for weeks and months just so they can die an expected agonizing death.

Abortion is really between the individual and their beliefs. Nobody has a right to tell someone what they can do to their body. If someone wants to commit suicide they'll do it. If they want an abortion they will find a way to do it. It's not the place for government to decide. If you personally think it's wrong, than you should consider it's between the person having an abortion and their maker. If their God thinks otherwise, they will have to answer to him in the afterlife.

How does anyone know how an offspring would feel knowing they would have to go through life with a devastating physical or mental disability? I know I would want my mother to abort me, than suffer an agonizing or vegetated life. Anyone saying they would still want to be born knowing that, are not being sincere.

These same people who claim to be pro-life are also pro-war, believe in the death penalty and are avid hunters. Pro-Life means exactly that. You can't pick and choose just because it accommodates your political ideology.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

It's a shame we treat animals better than ourselves.

No we don't. We don't even treat them as equals. And those who do treat them as equals have no problem treating their fellow men and women respectfully as well.
edit on 1-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Metallicus

First of all let me state that I lean towards Libertarianism and believe everyone has the right to do what they choose as long as it doesn't affect others.

However, with Abortion I do have a problem. If I believe it is murder (which I do and not for religious reasons, because I am not religious) how can I sit by with a clean conscience and let it continue? If people are being murdered in camps which were officially condoned by Nazis wouldn't I STILL be complicit in these murders if I did nothing? I see abortion as legalized genocide much like Nazi Germany.

I know this is not a PC belief, but do you see my problem with conscience here? So I sit here and do nothing and feel like crap each time I hear about another murdered baby and feel like a scum because I am complicit and stand by and do nothing.

What would you do if you believed in a live and let live philosophy, but felt as though millions were being murdered while you did nothing?

Anyway, that is what I am dealing with and I have yet to resolve my internal conflict.

Its best to not lay judgement on the choices other people make, just try to do the best by you.
You cant fix the world(you can try), but you can only fix yourself if you so feel inclined.
edit on 201311America/Chicago11pm11pmFri, 01 Nov 2013 16:32:21 -05001113 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Im not really a fan of abortion, In my opinion its the risk of haveing sex and if you dont use contraception or notwilling to take the risk then dont have sex. If you accidently end up pregnaught tough live with it, both mother and father.

But in cases like this then yes abortion is a good thing. That child would have sufferd.

new topics

top topics

join