It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go again..........."Diversity Training"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Even in Kentucky, I'm sure there are those that support Obama...and this costume wasn't a "I'm dressing up to look like Obama costume"...it was a "I'm trying my hardest to disrespect Obama costume".

A costume like this is only "funny" to those of you that share the opinion of the person attempting to make fun of Obama...and if that happens to be a majority of those at this office party and they all start hooting and hollering about how stupid Obama and his supporters are...that creates a hostile workplace for those that support Obama.

It is the same reason a workplace wouldn't allow someone to wear a costume of a pedophile priest, or a costume of dead terrorist, or a costume of a pimp, or a costume of a "redneck". Costumes like these are not for the workplace...Obama in a straight jacket is not a workplace costume. If you don't understand that, then maybe you need to attend a diversity class yourself.

You know, I hear a lot of people on ATS talk about their employment troubles...and it's threads like these that make it clear to me why that is.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
So when millions of people were laughing at Erkel it was because he was black? It had nothing to do with his actions, behaviors or personality?

That's my take away from this.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

what a bunch of pathetic boot lickers...

"OH NOZ obama will be offended, we will be called racist...GAAASSSP! "

what are they, afraid they'll be droned?

every time I hear a sheeple-slave say " you have to respect the office..." I feel an overwhelming desire
to b@tchslap the offender...

don't get me started on that intentionally divisive PC crap...

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
You know, something occurred to me on this to add. Once it did occur to me, I couldn't believe it wasn't my first thought.

Some people are suggesting in the media and public arena that this was racist and hateful, right? At the very least, race was a much a part as anything else. After all, the classes which followed weren't about sensitivity to whoever sits in the Oval Office, now or evermore, I'm sure.

So....... If this was racist, and by obvious extension, offensive to black people? What race are those big bookends playing the role of cops so very convincingly on either side of the main parody figure? They do NOT look like white men in black face. Those look like honest to goodness Black men, to me.

Why wouldn't they be offended, if race were the thing being focused on and made fun of? Why in the world would they HELP and be a direct PART to an overtly racist skit? Unless...of course...Race of the President was simply a detail to get right while making fun of the MAN, not the skin color.

Obama as anything BUT black would look kinda silly, wouldn't it?
edit on 1-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

And people like you are part of the problem.

When all is said and done, there is nothing that won't offend someone else. Even a costume of a fluffy bunny with a bow around its neck will offend the erstwhile PETA member for what it represents.

So, in the end, we wind up with an entirely humorless society because we cannot risk offending anyone.

So, are we no longer to laugh because all humor is about pointing out the foibles and follies of others.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Next they will be saying that the holiday itself is offensive to ghouls, goblins, witches, vampires, zombies, ax murderers ect.

Look at Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Did anyone ever complain about the affront to white trash inbreeds that it was? Or the fact that it insulted woodcutters, lumber jacks and arborists everywhere?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
So now Obama is to blame for cultural shifts and long-trending changes in workplace policy? Companies err on the side of caution when it comes to ensuring that nobody can claim that they working in a hostile work environment and this has nothing to do with the President.

Now a private company's HR department's possibly overzealous actions are tantamount to totalitarianism? Get real, workplace functions aren't political rallies and as part of anyone's employment there are necessary and accepted limitations to free expression. Imagine if everyone wore a costume that made a political statement or worse wore costumes that made a religious statement? I'm sure that wouldn't lead to anyone problems at all. Honestly, I'm surprised that they were even opening the door to this by allowing costumes AT ALL.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

theantediluvian
So now Obama is to blame for cultural shifts and long-trending changes in workplace policy? Companies err on the side of caution when it comes to ensuring that nobody can claim that they working in a hostile work environment and this has nothing to do with the President.

Now a private company's HR department's possibly overzealous actions are tantamount to totalitarianism? Get real, workplace functions aren't political rallies and as part of anyone's employment there are necessary and accepted limitations to free expression. Imagine if everyone wore a costume that made a political statement or worse wore costumes that made a religious statement? I'm sure that wouldn't lead to anyone problems at all. Honestly, I'm surprised that they were even opening the door to this by allowing costumes AT ALL.

As a white woman, I constantly had to work in a hostile environment at at least one of my jobs, because it's apparently ok when it's blacks saying racist BS... If a black guy wore a mask of Clinton with a white monika lewinky and a skit he'd never be forced to go to "DIversity training" PLEASE...apparently it's ok for whites to be forced to work in a hostile place. Even when WHITES were the minority at the job.

Facking hypocrites.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

geez now that u mention it,,,

oh,,ohhhh

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Requiring a diversity training course seems a bit extreme. However, the workplace is usually comprised of a diverse group of individuals. Black/white, Christian/Muslim, Republican/Democrat, etc...

To show up to work wearing a costume and doing a skit that some coworkers may find offensive, is simply unprofessional. The mood should be kept light in the workplace; otherwise, it creates a hostile work environment, which is not good for worker production, worker mentality and worker relations.

It seems to me that this has nothing to do with race; rather, it has to do with political ideology and purposefully offending those those that disagree. Such things have a time and place. The workplace is not one of them. Any human resources representative worth their salt will tell you as much.

For the employer to turn a blind eye to such actions is leaving themselves wide open for a lawsuit. They have to give off the appearance of keeping a peaceful work environment; even if it is only superficial.
edit on 1-11-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The vice president of the company’s human resources department first apologized, then asked workers to stay away from any costume with political, religious, ethnic or gender-based overtones, the local WZTV station reported.
Fox 17 reported that the costume caused enough complaints that now all employees have to take part in diversity training. The company did not specify how many actually complained.

The article doesn't specify the type or nature of the "diversity training." There's not even an actual quote, this is just WP reporting on something originally reported on by a Fox affiliate (both Rupert Murdoch owned) without doing anything that could be remotely deemed "journalism." Why should we make the assumption that the complaints weren't about politics? The line referring to their statement even lists "political" as the first category of costume to be avoided?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

ketsuko

And people like you are part of the problem.

When all is said and done, there is nothing that won't offend someone else. Even a costume of a fluffy bunny with a bow around its neck will offend the erstwhile PETA member for what it represents.

So, in the end, we wind up with an entirely humorless society because we cannot risk offending anyone.

So, are we no longer to laugh because all humor is about pointing out the foibles and follies of others.

I'm a mature and logical adult...not a high school kid that thinks they need lolz in order to get through their day.

I'm guessing you have never worked in a professional environment...no one in a true professional environment would have any issue with what I posted.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

"person attempting to make fun of Obama.",,he's not a God,sweety,,the person wasn't attempting,,he was definetly making fun of him,,,true,,,

to make fun of Obama.????,,,like i said,,didnt know u were not allowed too make fun of certain people,,unless he is Challenged in some way,,is he Challenged?? ,,u know,,special??

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Am I the only one that remembers the Two things you don't discuss at work?

Religion and Politics.

Just like you shouldn't dress up as the POPE to a work function, you Probably shouldn't dress up as a Politician.

Its HR's Job to minimize company exposure to risk, and its why those two things shouldn't be discussed at work, Apparently such issues are so personal that people don't have a sense of humor about it.

SO from a professional stand point, makes perfect sense.

ETA:

And if the employee is to dense to understand you don't mock your coworkers political views or religious preference they deserve to go to sensitivity training.

Anyone who worked Management, or HR should know that you treat your coworkers with respect, Your joke is not more important than respecting your coworkers.
edit on 1-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Diversity training companies have become lucrative business ventures.

Are some companies getting pushed into paying for this baloney by threats of boycotts or lawsuits? The owners, investors, and blind partners of these diversity training businesses are probably making a killing.

It's one big scam and you can bet a politician or two has his/her hands in the pie.

Tip of the Iceberg?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

As a white woman, I constantly had to work in a hostile environment at at least one of my jobs, because it's apparently ok when it's blacks saying racist BS... If a black guy wore a mask of Clinton with a white monika lewinky and a skit he'd never be forced to go to "DIversity training" PLEASE...apparently it's ok for whites to be forced to work in a hostile place. Even when WHITES were the minority at the job.

Facking hypocrites.

If you felt you were working in a hostile work environment you should have gone to HR. If HR didn't do anything, you would then go to the labor department or get a lawyer and sue. Your hypothetical situation doesn't do much to further your position as it relies entirely on opinion. I'm a middle-aged, middle-class, white guy (super white, I don't even tan) and I've worked in a variety of workplaces in different industries with all sorts of people over the years, including ones where I was in the minority in both race and gender and I've never felt persecuted. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong or maybe this is the new mindset of conservatives--to feel like victims who are under constant attack?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

BobAthome

"person attempting to make fun of Obama.",,he's not a God,sweety,,the person wasn't attempting,,he was definetly making fun of him,,,true,,,

to make fun of Obama.????,,,like i said,,didnt know u were not allowed too make fun of certain people,,unless he is Challenged in some way,,is he Challenged?? ,,u know,,special??

the person wasn't attempting,,he was definetly making fun of him,,,true,,,

That's True and you know the Liberals call that an Emergency that must be dealt with Swiftly!

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

BobAthome

You clearly missed the point.

If you want to make fun of religion, politics, genders, or sexual orientation...you are free to do so...but doing that at the workplace creates a hostile work environment for some people. It is the employers responsibility to provide a non-hostile workplace.

It's all fun and games when you agree with what is being made fun of...but when the shoe is on the other foot...I bet it's a different story. Do you think Christians would be okay with a co-worker dressing up as a cross-dressing Jesus Christ that is suggesting he is a pedophile? What if the employer awarded him for best costume? Do you think that is appropriate for the workplace? I don't...and I'm sure many Christians wouldn't either.

If you want to be an ignorant person and waste your time trying to think up ways to make fun of and offend other people...knock yourself out...but you don't get to demand you can do it anywhere you like.

It is so clear to see that so many in this thread have never worked in a professional environment.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

"The vice president of the company’s human resources department first apologized, then asked workers to stay away from any costume with political, religious, ethnic or gender-based overtones, the local WZTV station reported."

This is all i needed to hear.

Code Of Conduct.

You probably signed this when you got the job.

When does free speech end? can we allow someone to trash one's culture, race or religion at workplace? Well its free speech! right? or is there an exception?

I don't know about you guys, when you ready to come into the real world, you may need to follow certain rules at your workplace.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

"Do you think Christians would be okay with a co-worker dressing up as a cross-dressing Jesus Christ that is suggesting he is a pedophile? What if the employer awarded him for best costume? "

jesus took worse than that on a cross for me,,so ya i could bear it,,and turn the other cheek,,like he asked.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join