It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does composing a post on this forum eat my CPU? [Resolved..see OP]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

cause when you come to this site there are more than just nsa watching and listening and recording. more surveillance means more data.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

more surveillance means more data

Exactly, if you go to a post on here from a slow internet connection and look carefully you can see it connecting to all these different sites that spy/mine data on us. It really makes me mad that they send everything we do all over the damn place and it really slows things down.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Ensure your stuff is updated...to include your java.

Even if you don't use internet explorer, update that also. The dumb windows program seems to rely on certain functions from it.

The CPU usage from you typing a reply seems to indicate a java software strain - java will hog the crap out of a processor.

Edit-IE has a hella smaller footprint than Firefox. Give it a shot...then scan yer system - it's like going bare-back.
edit on 1-11-2013 by ChuckNasty because: IE

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Whoa...

I'm actually having the same problem as the OP, folks.

I thought it was something with my computer, but now that someone else has brought it up... maybe this new format is chewing up firefox somehow ??

I get serious lag only when I'm trying to type out a reply, the typing lags and my cpu fans goes way up.

I have an AMD Phenom II x6 processor w/ 16 gb of ram operating on Win 7 and use firefox. Absolutely everything is up to date, I run scans regularly, check for malware regularly, etc etc.

This has been going on now for about a couple of weeks.

The only thing that is different on my actual computer has been the recent Java update, which falls into about the same timeframe as when I've been getting the lag here on ATS... severe lag when typing out a reply, cpu fans start overworking, and youtube videos take forever to buffer sometimes to the point that I have to refresh the page and try again.

There doesn't seem to be any lag problem if just surfing through the threads though.

Could it have something to do with this recent java update ?

WTH ?!

Edit to add: I've checked to see what processes are running in the background and there's nothing there that shouldn't be.

I have a feeling it's got something to do with the Java update... prior to that there was no lag problems.

And like hell if I'm changing over to that piece of crap IE.

The problem is only on ATS and only during a post/reply or trying to watch a youtube video.
edit on 1-11-2013 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

reply to post by CB328

Yes. Because it's fine to make wild unsubstantiated claims on ATS.

I really miss the smiley with the rolling eyes.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
And now that I'm paying attention listening to my cpu fans...

Within 30 - 60 seconds after posting my reply, the fans slow down.

And as I'm typing this post out, I can hear them starting to pick up speed again.

?????!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Interesting observation.

I just did a quick experiment and it seems to be a Firefox issue. (I am a big Firefox fan for the record.)

I opened up a single page in 3 different browsers: Chrome, IExplorer and Firefox. So the only page I had open was this one in all three at exactly the same time:

This is what's going on:

Processor performance Before

All browsers are at (+/-) 0% CPU.

I then simply clicked reply on all 3 browsers.

This is what happened:

Processor performance After

So the interesting parts:
1. The CPU on Firefox jumps to 25-30%.
2. Both IExplorer and Chrome stays at (+/-) 0%.
3. Even though there is only one tab/page open on every browser there are 4 processes for Chrome, 2 for IExplorer and only one for Firefox...
4. Firefox is a memory hog.

So I'm guessing it's something on Firefox's side (Plugins? Java?) and not an issue with ATS per se?

Some more experimentation to follow suit...
edit on 1-11-2013 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I have the same issue, normal browsing in Firefox is fine, but opening the box to leave a comment causes firefox CPU useage to spike to 50%.

Goes back down to 2-3% as soon as the comment is posted.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Same here.

Firefox issue, not ATS issue.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Wow, no kidding. I use chrome normally myself these days. Opened up firefox, hit post reply in this thread, CPU shot up from 3% to 78% instantly. It is now bouncing between 43% and 89% for no particular reason. This is with noscript on, nothing temporary allowed. That is really strange. It seems to be firefox process taking all the CPU and not java either. Java is barely registering at all.

As soon as I closed the tab with reply in it, CPU shot back down to 4%. Bouncing between 1% and 8% like normal, and that is with chrome open, reply box open, and bot utorrent and jdownloader running. I don't have a monster machine either, but it can handle 20 million polygons in normal mode zbrush.

Tried some other tests with firefox, CPU barely moved for typing stuff in facebook. I figured it would jump there lol. No other forums to test it on personally. I thought for sure it would jump there with the amount of datamining that goes on....
edit on Fri, 01 Nov 2013 07:53:03 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Haha I use linux and firefox no issues.

Hey OP make a new profile in Firefox instead of disabling all your plugins.

I think in windows its this way.

type in run: firefox -p

should bring up a profile list.

to revert back to your default repeat and rinse.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I've had the same issue many times over the past few weeks. I was using Firefox 24 and only two plug-ins. (Neither plug-ins were resource hungry.) I could never find out why this was happening. I'd experience a slow down in typing, making it unbearable to post a reply here on ATS as my little LED activity light which only flickers a couple of times now and again was constantly on.

Never have I experienced it anywhere else except for on ATS. I've posted on blogs hosted on various CMS (Joomla, Typepad, Wordpress etc.) without a hitch. Same for other forums that use vBulletin, SMF and others without ever experiencing a slow down.

I'm certain it's something on the server side of ATS. I don't think it's anything malicious though.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Maybe give this a try: HTML5 test.

Might point you in a better direction?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Did you not read the part where the op says that it is only on ATS, and only when he is composing a post?

Every suggestion you made seems to ignore this.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GluteusMaximum

And reprimanding someone for trying to help is solving the OP's problem how?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Aren't we defensive.......

Was my statement untrue?

What good is help if it doesn't apply to the issue that was posted.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Tothetenthpower gave advice he felt may be helpful. It may have solved the problem. It didn't.

Your post pointed out that the advice didn't solve the problem. That wasn't helpful. Or even slightly informative. Just thought I'd point it out.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

firefox scored 414/500, doesn't seem that bad, chrome scored 463 though. It didn't cause no CPU jump for either browser either.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Official post. If you have nothing to offer the topic refrain from posting. Further disruption will be removed and the poster post banned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join