It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COMMUNITY ATS GROUP. Helping Those Who Seek It.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
So there was a recent thread that I am fully aware for all intent and purposes was meant for the better for ATS.

I in turn wrote in the rant section and added that there should be a place where members new and older can share their methods in weeding out false stories, hidden agendas and out right lies.

Since I decided to write that thread the previous was closed. I in no way see this as a WIN, but I DO see this as an opportunity to put my thoughts into action, and not be a hypocrite as to take a step, and then walk away.

I apologize if I offended anyone including the mods, but I promise that I will make this as thorough as I can.

First let me say the biggest culprit of finding disinformation is you very own search engine.

Especially when you are prone to a specific subject. Your results will be not based on the truthfulness of the information, but on your very own searches.

ESCAPE YOUR FILTER BUBBLE

There are other options, this is not to say NOT to use Google, maybe just not for research.

Wikipedia as a resource.

This one is tricky as this is supposed to be a spot on site, but people tend to forget that almost anyone can edit/rearrange it.

If you MUST use wiki for a source try to add a second link to match the other info.

ATS Search Function

Now sometimes this is tricky, but I have to admit it is getting better. IF you still think there may be a thread here on ATS on the subject you chose you can also do a search in your engine with the tags, and the letters ATS added.

Also important to note.

If you see a thread already here and it is over 3 months old, or older, or you have new information, you CAN start a new thread, and in case your NOT sure alert a mod to the original and write a very short summary that you have new info, and would like to start anew. I have done this before and all and ANY mods have been helpful!!

Dont give up. this is to say that if you feel like you have brought your A-Game to the table and your thread may be faltering due to a member/members, do not hesitate to alert someone, this IS what ATS mods are here to do, to be helpful, and make sure that we all have a fair share in out topics.

Sometimes you have to stand up for your work, there is more respect given here by members that disagree, but admired your efforts, then someone with 2 sentences and a video.

P.S.
Plus there are some awesome new mods so someone is always around.

Youtube Videos.

If you are using a video to back up your claims and or threads or posts, please be sure to add a summary of what the video is about, and how the long the video is, many ATSers cannot watch some videos, or dont realize the video is 3 hours long till they click.

If you really want to have someone watch it, then add the parts that you think are important, but be sure that many ATSers are aware of video hoaxes and usernames, and if they know that person they will inform you.

Finding out the good and bad about your resources. If you are using someone work as a source be sure that you know more about them then just what you like. There will be others that will do that work for you, and believe me it may not work in your favor, so always be aware, for every one thing you can find out about someone, there are just as many bad things.

If I KNOW that someone I know is NOT well liked I am more than happy to mention it early as to save others the trouble, or do more research and use them, but also others that are making the same claims.

I know I have more, but please ATS lets leave some info on how to decide for yourself on what is your choice in topics, and info. This will make for better threads, and more knowledgeable members.

edit on 31-10-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
So glad you decided to go ahead with this idea. I doubt I can contribute much, but will love to learn some good techniques from some of the greats on this site.

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Thank you, I read what you wrote in the other thread, and I remembered you
Im glad your here, I am sure whatever you can contribute will be helpful, also if you have any questions add it here

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Also something that I think is over looked many times on ATS, and that is the particular forum you are choosing.

Every forum has a written summary stating what kind of subject matter is allowed in that forum.

PLEASE let me clarify the word allowed.

You cannot write a thread in Breaking News, that would have content that can be better discussed in Skunkworks. If your not sure that you are writing in the correct forum just check the forums page.

FORUM INDEX

If you know what is allowed in that forum, then it is easier for you to navigate in which way you want to discuss your topic.

If you decide to speak on a more controversial person or subject it is allowed in Skunkworks, and the rules are looser for skeptical subjects.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I in no way see this as a WIN

Was there a competition?

2nd

ETA: And if there has been, what qualities of ATS did it concern? providing the basis for understanding that is the only way that your reference to a "WIN" makes sense.

Thanks in advance, NRE.

edit on 31-10-2013 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Really? Is that what you wanted to share here? I ask that you please add something.

Peace, NRE.

I will also edit this, as this kind of discussion is surely one that I was hoping not to have as I was pretty clear in what I said.

I wrote the word win, because all in all the original thread did not come to fruition, and there were many that hoped that it would, NOT THAT I OR ANYONE ELSE WON.

So now that it is clear, can we please stay on topic?
edit on 31-10-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I haven't had it happen a whole lot and I'm sure that other members have been affected as well. But often how the OP sees a forum is different than how a Mod sees it. Especially with the Political Forums. Same with the News Forums.

But at least most of the others are clear cut.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well, I will admit I'm a chicken when it comes to posting news stories. I pretty much only use stories if I see them or read about them, on our Local or world news sites. (MSM)

So I am rather curious, how some of our more...experienced(?) posters have come up with some very good alternative websites, and how they have come to verify that what is posted on the link is accurate?

This goes back to what you stated about google and such, as I have tried to find more information on something that has been posted here, and can't even come up with a site they may have linked. (just by searching I mean.)
edit on 31-10-2013 by chiefsmom because: corrected my english

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hey,NRE!
Excellent idea!

I know one of the best things to do is to double check your sources, there have been many times when I read something ,look for the source of the story and after going through many sites,finding the true source was bogus.

Something that might help is providing links to some respectable and reliable sources of info.

But,you know as well as I do,it's not always possible to find a reliable source. So that's why it gets vetted out here with the great resource of people that is here.

Anyways, Goodluck with this and as always...

Peace,
K

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
A couple of links to use...

customwire.ap.org...

phys.org...

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

www.terradaily.com...

And alot more........

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on k31201351982 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join