It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: Is Recovering Personal Posts When a Thread Gets Removed Possible?- 404

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Question: Recovering One's Personal Post After a Thread is Removed on a 404?
I was just wondering if it is possible to recover a post written when a thread gets removed? For those of us who haven't saved a response that we have written in a post but feel that what we wrote was important and worth salvaging, I am curious if there is a way to do that?

Is recovering our personal response posts upon a request a possibility or are they forever gone into the great ATS world of beyond?

Thanks for your time.
edit on 30-10-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
When you submit content to ATS you are granting ATS a license to use the content you post. As such it belongs to ATS and the end result is that if it is deleted, it is gone. The best idea if you really think a post is important is to save a copy on your computer for yourself. If a thread is deleted, there is no way to get it back.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Contact the NSA... they should have a copy. 404 actually means "file relocated to Utah"...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

Yes...

Usually.

If you send me the thread name, with the information about the post, like what page it may have been on etc., then I can probably find it and PM it to you.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thank you very much.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by Egyptia

Yes...

Usually.

If you send me the thread name, with the information about the post, like what page it may have been on etc., then I can probably find it and PM it to you.

~Tenth

Let me thank you in advance... every once in a while, I too lose a good comment.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

this plugin does the job

Lazarus: Form Recovery 2.3
by Seth Wagoner

Never lose anything you type into a web form again! Lazarus securely auto-saves all forms as you type, so after a crash, server timeout, or whatever, you can go back to the form, right click, "recover form", and breathe a sigh of relief.

Add to Firefox addons.mozilla.org...

Autosaves everything you type so you can easily recover from form-killing timeouts, crashes and network errors.

Ever had one of those “oh $*#@” moments when you've finally finished filling out a long form, and hit submit only to see an error message? And when you hit the back button, the form was blank... If so, you know you need Lazarus. And if not, you have a chance to install Lazarus before disaster strikes!

Lazarus saves everything you type so if the worst happens you can recover the whole form by simply clicking a menu item. The data can be encrypted and is saved on your machine so you know it's safe.

Version 3.0 is a complete rewrite in an effort to make a cross browser compatible extension (Firefox and Safari versions are available from the website [lazarus.interclue.com...]).
Add to Chrome chrome.google.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

Thanks so much Metaphysique. I can't believe I never knew that. Big thanks for a great tip.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
they told me once before that even though they may 404 threads, they never actually delete anything, they keep everything, they just occasionally remove it from the publics view, viewable only to staff.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

Hi Metaphysique, I would star your answer if I could, I work with schools and their data, all of their student/parent/teacher records etc. and this could/will save me tons of time, wish I had known about it ages ago!

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Pretty much correct.

Whenever we/Staff remove a thread its merely moved from the main Member-Accessible Areas/Forums.
The thread itself still remains accessible to Staff.

Reasons for that is simple:
We do unfortunately make mistakes occasionally and wrongfully remove a thread.
Then upon review and deliberation by Staff (normally also at the request of the OP querying its removal) Staff may feel that actually the thread shouldn't have been removed, maybe just something about it needed to be amended or simply the Staff Member who removed it made the wrong call.

When that happens, threads can then be moved back out into the Forums once more.

Also - sometimes we need to keep a copy of the thread for if/when people question why it was removed.
The reality is also that some removed threads are due to discussions or glorification of serious crimes and so ensuring we retain a copy of such helps keep the site and its members safe too.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
A big thank you as I was able to recover the post and after which I downloaded lazarus thanks to that great tip from Meta also. I just wanted to give a round of applause and thank Tothetenthpower for retrieving it for me. Thanks Alien for that great explanation and for all the mods that came to respond and help out.

Cheers to everyone;

edit on 1-11-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join