It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Marines Rally Round Iraq Probe Comrade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Fellow Marines have come to the defence of a comrade that is currently at the center of a shooting scandal. Yes, one has to aplaud the cojones of the armchair Generals. Sitting behind thier computers secont guessing a soilder in a war zone, fighting an irreqular enemy in a urban environment.

There will be an investigation, If hes guilty he will face a court martial. Period

FALLUJA, Iraq (Reuters) - U.S. Marines rallied round a comrade under investigation for killing a wounded Iraqi during the offensive in Falluja, saying he was probably under combat stress in unpredictable, hair-trigger circumstances

Marines interviewed on Tuesday said they didn't see the shooting as a scandal, rather the act of a comrade who faced intense pressure during the effort to quell the insurgency in the city.

"I can see why he would do it. He was probably running around being shot at for days on end in Falluja. There should be an investigation but they should look into the circumstances," said Lance Corporal Christopher Hanson.

"I would have shot the insurgent too. Two shots to the head," said Sergeant Nicholas Graham, 24, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. "You can't trust these people. He should not be investigated. He did nothing wrong."
news.yahoo.com.../nm/20041116/wl_nm/iraq_falluja_investigation_dc_4" target="_blank" class="postlink">Marine

[edit on 11/16/04 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Like I said before his fate has been sealed all ready from Washington, that is the way it works.

It is not what he though it was the right thing to do, but the perception the video gives to the public that saw it.

All this could have been prevented if that video was destroyed before it was released.

I don't blame the soldier I blame the one that took the video.

[edit on 16-11-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Marg, for once I agree with you, I also was posting this article but went to trash bin...

here is another link.

U.S. Marines Rally Round Iraq Probe Comrade

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the link, well my husband got the details yesterday, been the soldier a Marine you can imagine the memos and E-mail going around in the bases.

A lot of military personel are angry at what happend, including my husband.

Its a war zone after all, and everybody is a potential enemy.

Now edsinger you miss judge me all the time, one thing is to be against this war and another one not understanding what is going on in a war zone.

And I know what goes on.

I feel very angry of that video, and was allowed to leave the area, like I say, because of it, the fate of a soldier that was just doing his job is in jeopardy, and I am very, very angry, after all he was doing what he thought was the right thing under pressure.

[edit on 16-11-2004 by marg6043]

TPL

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I can understand the possible threat from the terrorist/insurgent, but if he felt there was a threat couldn't he have just shot him in the the arms?

And why blame the cameraman he couldn't have known that was going to happen?

[edit on 16-11-2004 by TPL]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
its one thing to appear to be wounded, unarmed, showing signs of surrender, etc...its entirely another to "pretend" your dead...which shows deceit on the part of the insurgent

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I feel for him I just hope they dont decide to make an example of him for the world. On the battlefield # happens, its like Vegas, what happens there should stay there.

You have to lookout for you and your brothers first, the last thing you care about are those that are trying to kill you. Its easy to sit there in the safety of your homes and pass Judgement on the actions of scared children in a sitution MOST of you could not imagine.

TPL

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rayzor11
its one thing to appear to be wounded, unarmed, showing signs of surrender, etc...its entirely another to "pretend" your dead...which shows deceit on the part of the insurgent

But was the man pretending?

TPL

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I feel for him I just hope they dont decide to make an example of him for the world. On the battlefield # happens, its like Vegas, what happens there should stay there.

You have to lookout for you and your brothers first, the last thing you care about are those that are trying to kill you. Its easy to sit there in the safety of your homes and pass Judgement on the actions of scared children in a sitution MOST of you could not imagine.

Either way its a PR disaster.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL
I can understand the possible threat from the terrorist/insurgent, but if he felt there was a threat couldn't he have just shot him in the the arms?

War is not the Lone Ranger

You dont shot them in the arm or shoot the Gun out of their hands like in the movies. They have a word kor those that hesitate, its KIA (Killed In Action) Unless you have been there you cant even come close to understanding

TPL

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
In most situations i would agree but in this one the marine had time to converse with his fellow marines and no gunfire was present.

I have not fought in combat so if im wrong just explain why but please consider my points.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL

Don't know. I was not there. Nor had I been shot at throughout the day, nor did I have to go door to door with potential death waiting around the next corner. I he made any moves in that environment under those conditions, what would any of us do?

TPL

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by TPL

Don't know. I was not there. Nor had I been shot at throughout the day, nor did I have to go door to door with potential death waiting around the next corner. I he made any moves in that environment under those conditions, what would any of us do?

I can understand the tension and adrenaline. Im going to have to see the videotape again and make up my mind, im sitting on the fence on this one.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL

Originally posted by rayzor11

seems pretty clear on the tape - one soldier yells "he's f***ing pretending he's dead!" ...the other soldier shoots him

another point - the other wounded insurgent is left unharmed under the blanket...on another thread someone says this man is an informant, and if he was - did he tip the Marines off that the man was "pretending"?

unfortunately, the MSM has already tried and convicted this Marine w/o knowing any other details

funny how they'll show this video over and over...the Abu Ghraib prison video/pics over and over...but NONE of the beheadings, pleadings, torture, etc from the enemy...as long as it paints the US in a bad light ...the NYC media is all over it

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hey for all the marine knows the man could be a suicide bomber and has something under his clothes or something if he had a white flag or was waving or raising something in the air he wouldnt of got shot but because he was pretending he could of waited for them to walk up then bang without saying anything so thats what happens!

[edit on 16-11-2004 by ShadowMan]

TPL

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'm sitting on the fence on this situation, too many 'ifs' and 'buts' etc. I wasnt there so i can't pass a proper judgement.

new topics

top topics

join