It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twisting quotes and putting words in one mouth?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

crazyewok
A few times on ATS I have had people take quotes of mine and twist them by either takeing things our or adding things in and makeing assumptions. I also have had people put words so to say into my mouth and asign view points and ideas to me without me either saying anything.

Isnt this againt the T&C ? If not shouldnt it be ?

I get damed angery and want to put nails in their shoes and peeled chillies up their bums when someone does this and im sure others do.

me too!

ETA: just for the sake of not being a total knob, i must point out that i edited the above for humour. Obvs i'm a total coward and only edited this coz a mod turned up. Damn your eyes mods!
edit on 30-10-2013 by skalla because: bleh

edit on 30-10-2013 by skalla because: spellin

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
No ATS member is allowed to edit quotes to suit their own arguments.

This is not conducive to a productive environment and I for one will encourage any and all members to alert this behavior to staff so it may be deal with.

Taking quotes out of context however is just poor form and is intellectually dishonest in a lot of different ways. It's the tactic of a person without a real argument though, so it's best just to ignore instead of engage.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

skalla

crazyewok
A few times on ATS I have had people take quotes of mine and twist them by either takeing things our or adding things in and makeing assumptions. I also have had people put words so to say into my mouth and asign view points and ideas to me without me either saying anything.

I get damed angery and want to put nails in their shoes and peeled chillies up their bums when someone does this and im sure others do.

me too!

i'm a bad man, sorry

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

crazyewok

I get damed angery when someone does this and im sure others do.

Another trick is to "quote" a member, but delete the member's name.

Very confusing.

It's a debate trick, and also gives the responder a false sense of anonymity.

Example:

Neither do I. But who's looking !!

(see what I mean)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

crazyewok

So what you're saying is, you hate Jesus and tiny fluffy kittens.

Ok, hater. Be a hater.

Seriously? It happens to all of us. Just recently while lauding the virtues of free speech, someone took that to mean that I supported the KKK.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Another trick is to "quote" a member, but delete the member's name.

Very confusing.

Or reply to another member and take the link to the reply out of the post so you have to dig back to find what the other member said.

The mods have landed and said to hit alert in the members avatar (the little figure at the bottom is a drop down menu). This alerts staff on duty to a problem in a members post.

Don't be afraid to use it. People who outright alter others content are lower than…

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

skalla

just for the sake of not being a total knob

Now why would you want to be that? What's wrong with you?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
When it comes right down to wilful alterations of quotes, the T&C's have a rule on that:

15). Posting: You will not Post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate. You will not solicit personal information from any member. You will not use information gathered from this website to harass, abuse or harm other people.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
i myself tend not to use quoting...i find it is only used as a tool to take things out of context...para phrasing is alawys the best option...people who pick apart a long statment only do so to try and take it out of context...i give people the benefit of considering they have actually read the reply...and to reiterate said reply to show how you have taken it goes a long way IMHO.

using the term " I FEEL" stops arguementive behaviour as it then states opinion rather than putting the other person on the defensive...debating is a point of view.

always remember every person has a point of view..."I FEEL" if they did not there really would not be a purpose for this website...also I feel the staff do a fine job in trying their best to allow the flow of threads without unnecessarily stepping in to early.

Thank you ATS mods for only correcting when abuse reaches boiling point as there are many topics that naturally make for emotive responses.

some things to never discuss at a family dinner

1) politics
2) religion
3) money

guess what...all topics here...so I expect heated discussion.
edit on 113131p://f28Wednesday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

where have you been? you see this all the time in geo-engineering from the usual suspects

a recent thread boldly [shamelessy] accuses chemtrail theorists of behavior exhibited exclusively, in each and every single geo-engineering/chemtrail thread, by chemtrail denialists: moving the goal-posts.

this goes way beyond Projection; we are talking full blown Wetiko Psychosis

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

beezzer
[

So what you're saying is, I hate Jesus and tiny fluffy kittens and eat babies.

Ok, Im a hater.

And I love Justen Bieber

You know I love you really

beezzer
Seriously? It happens to all of us. Just recently while lauding the virtues of free speech, someone took that to mean that I supported the KKK.

I know it just can be damed annoying enough to make me scream!

edit on 30-10-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the update. Glad to see the mods keeping a eye on it.

Yeah as you saw yesterday It got under my skin even though I guess it was a minor example really.

I guess its a tricky balance trying to allow freedom of speach but not let people go to extremes.

All I can say is Im glad im not a mod on ATS!

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

crazyewok
I don't like chocolate milk!

How dare you sir! :: Laugh :: I'm just joshing ya. But I hear ya, when people intentionally take a quote and add their own little text to make it appear totally different than what you had said, it should be an infractionable offense. (In my opinion of course.)

I never add anything to a persons quote, except maybe for the "..." in front (or after) their text to let others know that it's a partial quote.

We on ATS should excell in respect towards one another. We're a website of typically like minded individuals. Conspiracy theorists have a hard time as it is without other theorists making it harder.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

crazyewok

It's a sad part of human nature that I see no way of preventing. For some, making a point or discrediting the person they are debating falls into the "All Is Fair In Love And War" category, fairness and honesty are an issue if they get in the way. I've found that there are certain posters that are quite creative on this point. A partial quote taken out of context or clever use of semantics can be more damaging than a bold faced lie.

Wish I had an answer. I HAVE learned to take several deep breathes before I reply to someone that is being intentionally irritating and confrontational.

A bit of a tip o' the hat here to the Mods... I wouldn't want the job. Even when I disagree with a decision, I never doubt that they are trying to be fair.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

beezzer

crazyewok

So what you're saying is, you hate Jesus and tiny fluffy kittens.

Ok, hater. Be a hater.

Dear Beezzer,
You are one of the mis-quoting posters being referenced in the OP! How quickly you forget! I just got through calling you out on this very thing yesterday for deliberately misrepresenting my intentions with respect to Tea PARTIER.

Remember this thread?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is what you posted;

I understand that you think us evil and wish us dead, and I can't say for certain that the death threats I've received in the past have come from you or not, but the level of anger against a group that just wants responsible government, rational spoending, personal responsibility is getting out of hand.

And this was my response;

Look Beezzer, the last thing I need is for someone like you to go around attempting to put words in my mouth or saying I said things I didn't say.

I never said I wanted anyone dead, much less Tea PARTIER in general.

Just for the record, I don't like murderers either but I'm not in favor of killing them. Just goes to show what you know about me.

Furthermore, I don't make threats. Not to you or anyone else. If I tell you I'm going to do something, it's not a threat but rather a statement of fact.

Now you want to sit here and pretend it's others who are doing this, Please!
edit on Wed Oct 30 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

edit on Wed Oct 30 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I couldn't agree with you more! Personally, I think we need to point out specifically who these posters are and that's why I did just that in my preceding post.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

intrptr
Don't be afraid to use it.

In fact, for awhile the staff were practically begging people to send an alert. It's really hard to catch everything on a board this size.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

A link to both the original post and the post by another which contains a re-worked quote is kind of required if mods are expected to do their job when a complaint/alert is made.

It's important because trying to hunt through multiple pages is a pain and mods just don't have the time for hunting.
edit on 30/10/13 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Flatfish

I couldn't agree with you more! Personally, I think we need to point out specifically who these posters are and that's why I did just that in my preceding post.

I dont think its our job to name names publicly as it could get ugly fast. As a mod has said its probbaly best to alert them and let them deal with it.
edit on 30-10-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

imho

Ascribing motive . . . in complex human communications

is a very hazardous fool's errand.

I think it's wiser to put up with the complexities and inaccuracies . . . even the evil motives

than to have mods try and police "motives" and "deliberateness."

By all means call folks on ugly distorting stuff . . .

but . . . . like beauty . . . definitions and distortions are at least a major part of the picture IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join