It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Declares Dolphins to be Non-Human Persons

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

...declaring (dolphins) Non-Human persons with human rights is the stupidest thing i have heard in a while.

Really? So you're good with corporations being Non-Human persons then? With all the rights of individual persons (and governments too) but few-to-none of the responsibilities?

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Now with all the recent new data that proves dolphins are NOT as smart as silly humans once thought they were - I have lost all respect for India.

Sources: www.nationalreview.com...

www.spiegel.de...

Dolphins are Not any kind of persons. PERIOD. They are nice to look at, tasty I'm sure, great swimmers but Not Persons in any way shape or form.

I'm really shocked at india because they are supposed to be world leaders in science, this just proves they are leading in Bull caca.
edit on 31-10-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

soficrow

...declaring (dolphins) Non-Human persons with human rights is the stupidest thing i have heard in a while.

Really? So you're good with corporations being Non-Human persons then? With all the rights of individual persons (and governments too) but few-to-none of the responsibilities?

For the record since you can essentially ask me the same thing.. No I'm not good with that at all. I wasn't around to stop it or protest it. This I'm protesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What really burns my buns are they are assigning these traits to Dolphins only - for no good reason and no proof of said claimed intelligence over and above other animals.

What about all the Zoo animals in India.. seems very hyprcritical to me. If you follow the MONEY, i'm sure you will find the Real reasons for all this and not the BS story they give about Dolphins needing to be protected as such because they are " smarter" .

From the Op:

It has been shown that dolphins can recognize their own reflection, use tools and understand abstract concepts. They develop unique signature whistles allowing friends and family members to recognize them, similar to the way human beings use names. "They share intimate, close bonds with their family groups. They have their own culture, their own hunting practices - even variations in the way they communicate,"

So bloody what? I know many animals with these same traits - they are ignoring for someones agenda.

Dolphins are Not even on the world wide endangered species list using the common names or the scientific names.

www.earthsendangered.com...
edit on 31-10-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The butthurt is strong with you. So what if it's some agenda, if it helps save animals from being locked away in captivity, why is that a bad thing? India already has much respect for elephants, also intelligent, and cows. How many animals does the US grant the same privileges? They are on the correct path, more and more animals should be given the same rights so as not to be used as pets, food, or entertainment for humans. I'm sorry that dolphins fail the IQ test for you, I guess that means they should all be chopped up and used as shark bait until they evolve bigger brains.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

WiseThinker
Urgh.... Why are people not seeing the issues here????

I agree that Dolphins should be protected, however declaring them Non-Human persons with human rights is the stupidest thing i have heard in a while.

May I remind the members of ATS that laws and rights are social contracts,
Have these dolphins agreed to such a thing?
What happens when a dolphin rapes a woman/man, will the dolphin be called to court ?

The only outcome I can see coming from this is, institutionalised executions of dolphins

Laws and rights are a Human invention which requires both parties to agree, the Dolphin cannot.

Just my 2 cents

Namaste.

I would like to bring up the "not competent to stand trial" defense of dolphins from any prosecution...similar to that applied to a child and/or mentally deficient

I support this move by India and hope it eventually covers the octopus

...and the cuttlefish, maybe

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
So it begins

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Wonderful news. Dolphins and apes are the tip of the iceberg on full animal rights. Mohandas Gandhi would be very glad to hear his nation is maturing in such a way.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Yes!!! I love octapi and cuttlefish. One octopus I met had the most intelligent eyes I've ever seen in a non-human animal, and it had me at first sight.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

crazyewok
So when is the USA going to declare war on them and kill them all?

There's probably not that many left given our oil spills, corexit, radiation from Fukishima, and underwater military testings, illegal dumpings, garbage, and overall destruction of the planet.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This was posted months ago on a different thread. Thanks for it though!

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by windslayer

Are you sure? My source says it wasn't published until Oct. 29th.

I apologize if I did a double thread.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

Thanks for the video.

That sure is some weird looking fish!! I don't think I've heard of it before. I'm more into cats.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

WiseThinker
reply to post by TheDoctor46

The point is not the raping, this is just because I know Dolphins are extremely sexually aggressive and this behavior has been shown on multiple occasions towards humans.

I could just as easily have had an example of an Orca killing a man/woman.

Point being, Laws and Rights are social contracts, cetaceans CANNOT agree to them, thus its silly and pointless.
A cetaceans cannot uphold its end of the contract, nor can it be taken to court to solve any disputes.

Now im all for protecting cetaceans, and im extremely against cetacean shows and cetaceans being kept in captivity, However this does not solve the problem.

We need HUMAN laws preventing HUMANS from killing or capturing cetaceans, Now this is not xenophobia, just common sense, as again the cetaceans CANNOT agree to the social contract.

Namaste

Orca's do get aggressive when any human (or any other creature) gets between a mother and her children.
But such natural behavior can be written into a legal contract.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

India Declares Dolphins to be Non-Human Persons

Elephants are extremely smart and very social. I wonder why they didn't include elephants
in their declaration? (maybe because they use them as work animals and it would be slavery?)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

edit on 11/2/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

crazyewok
So when is the USA going to declare war on them and kill them all?

That is so reactionary and obtuse. Do you even know what you are saying or are you just trying to score points with the "hate America" crowd?

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
What about all those Tuna fish out there? From what I gather they are the dolphin's best mates.

"Dolphin friendly tuna" it says on the can? Not sure I should eat it now.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

sled735
reply to post by VoidHawk

OMG! Don't I know it! I took my daughter to get a cat from the animal shelter a few years ago, and I left there in tears!

I'm such an animal lover, of all animals, it breaks my heart in two seeing them. You can see the sad expression on their face... hopelessness!

If I lived in the country, and could afford to feed them, I'd be that crazy old cat woman everyone talks about. Not only cats, but dogs, horses... you name it. They would have a home. But, alas, I don't live in the country, and I'm not rich.

I'm the same, unfortunately just not in a position to help them

It's time the world woke up though, to think animals are too dumb to be aware....is dumb.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Yeah no, no need for insinuations and putting words in other peoples mouth,

I consider myself an Anarchists, thus i'm against any government involvement. This includes the process which allows corporations to be legally (key word) considered as persons...

Namaste.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Hmm. I asked questions. That's not putting words in your mouth. But good to know your answers. Thanks for responding.

Namaste.

<< 1    3 >>

join