It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

38% of Americans say God told me to

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

livinglifeseekingtruth2

Kangaruex4Ewe

Grimpachi
The article at YouGov says more on the poll I personally found it interesting even though it was taken from just shy of a 1,000 people. I am hopeful it doesn’t accurately portray the population because if that many people honestly think God has talked to them before I would really be worried.

Maybe I am wrong and it does actually reflect the populace. So it makes me wonder how many here on ATS have received instructions from god. I wish we could create polls on here and see.

I will openly admit that I do. Though I do not "hear" God, as in a voice from the sky. I hear Him as my conscience. If I get too much change back from a store and I could use every penny of it... my conscience tells me that I should give it back. It isn't mine and I would be stealing. That is just one of many examples and I AM IN NO WAY stating that non believers do not have a conscience, I am saying that to me... That is how God speaks. He is like a weather vane when I am going in the wrong direction. He sets me back on course.

I know how people view this kind of thing and it is why I usually hesitate to discuss anything religious on ATS. But you seemed genuine (?) so I figured I would try to explain it from my POV.

Kangaruex4Ewe... I am Agnostic and do the same things you do without hesitation . I have never needed a church or GOD to tell me I was doing something wrong... But I guess I was born with a Moral Compass... not a conscience. A conscience is something that causes you to pause and think about the choice you are about to make in a situation of right or wrong. A reference to the symbol of the "scale "in a way. A point where you have to weigh your options because you would rather do the "bad" thing and keep the money because you need it more that the store. As an Agnostic.. I do the right thing without question or hesitation.

If you need a "God" to help you make that choice... I fully support it and encourage it. I would rather those born without a Moral Compass, to have the ability of turning to a believe that would cause them to pause ....weigh their options and make the right choice instead of the bad ones.

As an agnostic... I support your need to believe. Do not confuse me with an Atheist who would destroy your belief system in an instant. There so many out there like you! that need church and beliefs so they can make the right choice when confronted with the option of right or wrong.

I like how you did that whole back handed compliment thing there. It must be nice to never have a guilty conscience about anything...ever. I don't know anyone who has not experienced guilt.

I will not begrudge you a seat in your ivory tower. I'll just be stuck down here with all of the other mistake makers with no moral compass. Even the non believers I know have had to weigh decisions just like I do. They have all made mistakes just like I do. They have all done something that left them feeling guilty at one point or another just like I have.

Nowhere in my post did I insinuate that those who didn't believe had no moral compass. Matter of fact I went out of my way to state that everyone has a conscience. Not just believers. I guess I was wrong. I also don't buy into "Mans" idea of religion. I haven't stepped foot in an actual church in more than a decade. Not all believers are the type of believers you think you know.
edit on 10/30/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

Really??? You just attempted to deflect and redirect the conversation? Everyone with Empathy feels "Guilt" Everyone with Empathy has spoken to someone and hurt them at some point in life... Sometimes the "truth" hurts... but that would be an entirely different topic.

You chose to make a point of weighing your options in a situation of right or wrong....

So what is the point of you passive aggressive attack? Did I hit a nerve? I apologize...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

livinglifeseekingtruth2

ignorant_ape
reply to post by Grimpachi

the problem : in my eyes - is that once a person accepts ` god tells me to..... ` as a legitimate reason to act then no atrocity is unthinkable

for biblical evidence - Abraham was alledgedly on the verge of killing his own son simply because he believed ` god told him to ...`

the really scary bit comes when people start to act on what SOMEONE-ELSE says " god told me to ....... "

and people still ask me ` why are religions dangerous `

You are confusing the ones who took the "Bible and religion" too literally. To the ones who have a need to believe in something to help them make the right choices in life.

"GOD" has never told anyone to do anything! The one's that believe they have been in direct contact with something that does not exist are mentally ill. Plain and simple...

The Bible is nothing more than a book of Fables and nursery rhymes...loosely based on factual occurrences by a bunch of mentally ill people attempting to make sense of life, death and the world they had no idea how to understand....

Or... was it written by those who wanted to control others once they realized the masses of people were asking questions?

...it was a crammed assignment (to be handed in and filed in the Blue D-ring binder)...it just seemed to grow thicker over the years as graduating students had the chance to add, alter, edit...we have students of our own, doing it today in the Mash-Up Room (except this is more of a cut and paste kind of deal - progress, you know)...That 'I am, always was, and always will be', got boring without the arch-villain (created by the Almighty), who...just...doesn't...know...how...to...deal...with...it [major flaw])...mighty story arc, complete with the rainbow at the end - roll credits...

...and 1.1% of the american public (averred) hears voices, some of them God or Jesus...

I rather like the intuition 'take'...somehow more preferable to be talking to yourself?!...but seriously,
I can attest to the voices in my head...it's just that you would never hear them...most of them, random thoughts from those in my vicinity, saying one thing, and thinking another...most confusing till you get a handle on it and become circumspect on it all...filter that garbage out, and...

Å99

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Since when has God ever had anything to do with religion?

While I believe in God in some form I do not subscribe to any particular dogmatic religion.

God and I don't need a middleman.

edit on 2013/10/30 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I don't care what arrangement of letters you give it... the "soandso" that guided/evolved all of you/we/us to do whatever it is we're all doing right now is the same thing.

So we can either keep battling each other as to what arrangement of which alphabet and associated definition we think it should be referred to as... or we can start actually *dealing* with it as it is whether we can describe it or not.

I think those that have learned to deal with it are those we'd call TPTB and that's their only advantage... and it's only a slight one at that.

God, Sub-conscious, ego, "they", idontgivea#...

The only reason we haven't solved this "problem" of what exactly is going on beyond our ability to perceive? is our constant arguing about what to call that which is beyond that what we perceive.
edit on 30-10-2013 by BardingTheBard because:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Some people may need a little guidance, just reading the Good Book can be enough for some...

Greatest Selling book in History that no one reads!!

reply to post by BardingTheBard

Call it the Aether!!

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

livinglifeseekingtruth2

Kangaruex4Ewe

livinglifeseekingtruth2

Kangaruex4Ewe

Grimpachi
The article at YouGov says more on the poll I personally found it interesting even though it was taken from just shy of a 1,000 people. I am hopeful it doesn’t accurately portray the population because if that many people honestly think God has talked to them before I would really be worried.

Maybe I am wrong and it does actually reflect the populace. So it makes me wonder how many here on ATS have received instructions from god. I wish we could create polls on here and see.

I will openly admit that I do. Though I do not "hear" God, as in a voice from the sky. I hear Him as my conscience. If I get too much change back from a store and I could use every penny of it... my conscience tells me that I should give it back. It isn't mine and I would be stealing. That is just one of many examples and I AM IN NO WAY stating that non believers do not have a conscience, I am saying that to me... That is how God speaks. He is like a weather vane when I am going in the wrong direction. He sets me back on course.

I know how people view this kind of thing and it is why I usually hesitate to discuss anything religious on ATS. But you seemed genuine (?) so I figured I would try to explain it from my POV.

Kangaruex4Ewe... I am Agnostic and do the same things you do without hesitation . I have never needed a church or GOD to tell me I was doing something wrong... But I guess I was born with a Moral Compass... not a conscience. A conscience is something that causes you to pause and think about the choice you are about to make in a situation of right or wrong. A reference to the symbol of the "scale "in a way. A point where you have to weigh your options because you would rather do the "bad" thing and keep the money because you need it more that the store. As an Agnostic.. I do the right thing without question or hesitation.

If you need a "God" to help you make that choice... I fully support it and encourage it. I would rather those born without a Moral Compass, to have the ability of turning to a believe that would cause them to pause ....weigh their options and make the right choice instead of the bad ones.

As an agnostic... I support your need to believe. Do not confuse me with an Atheist who would destroy your belief system in an instant. There so many out there like you! that need church and beliefs so they can make the right choice when confronted with the option of right or wrong.

I like how you did that whole back handed compliment thing there. It must be nice to never have a guilty conscience about anything...ever. I don't know anyone who has not experienced guilt.

I will not begrudge you a seat in your ivory tower. I'll just be stuck down here with all of the other mistake makers with no moral compass. Even the non believers I know have had to weigh decisions just like I do. They have all made mistakes just like I do. They have all done something that left them feeling guilty at one point or another just like I have.

Nowhere in my post did I insinuate that those who didn't believe had no moral compass. Matter of fact I went out of my way to state that everyone has a conscience. Not just believers. I guess I was wrong. I also don't buy into "Mans" idea of religion. I haven't stepped foot in an actual church in more than a decade. Not all believers are the type of believers you think you know.

Really??? You just attempted to deflect and redirect the conversation? Everyone with Empathy feels "Guilt" Everyone with Empathy has spoken to someone and hurt them at some point in life... Sometimes the "truth" hurts... but that would be an entirely different topic.

You chose to make a point of weighing your options in a situation of right or wrong....

So what is the point of you passive aggressive attack? Did I hit a nerve? I apologize...

Not passive aggressive at all. The situation was weighing right or wrong. You said that you didn't need God to even think about right or wrong when making a decision because you had a moral compass. Your exact words were *As an agnostic I do the right thing without question or hesitation.*

Your words were what I was addressing. You choose the right thing without question and without hesitation so you should never experience any guilt. Your moral compass is better than my God because I still make the wrong decision at times.

So what part of your post did I get wrong?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
How do they know if it is real God?

What if it is Satan?

My morality is based on a concept (mutual respect), not a character because then anything can happen.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
reply to post by livinglifeseekingtruth2

I am not confusing anything - its not about needing an alledged god to make the " right " choice

do people need " god " to tell them to stop at a red traffic light ?

as I said - once you buy into the ` god told me to .... " rote - you will do ANYTHING

make a LUCID response and I would be happy to reply to this....

Sober up... and ask me again when your mind is thinking clearly...

I stop at every intersection... not because I an weighing my options and trying to figure out how it works...but because there might be other idiots on the roads who might blaze through that intersection because their only care in the world is how their destination in life is more important than mine...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

livinglifeseekingtruth2

Kangaruex4Ewe

livinglifeseekingtruth2

Kangaruex4Ewe

Grimpachi

Not passive aggressive at all. The situation was weighing right or wrong. You said that you didn't need God to even think about right or wrong when making a decision because you had a moral compass. Your exact words were *As an agnostic I do the right thing without question or hesitation.*

Your words were what I was addressing. You choose the right thing without question and without hesitation so you should never experience any guilt. Your moral compass is better than my God because I still make the wrong decision at times.

So what part of your post did I get wrong?

The only thing I will do at this point of your "standoff" Is admit that we agree to disagree...

have an AMAZING DAY! And there is going to be a partial Solar Eclipse in a few day's if you are interested...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I admit it ... ONCE I had a direct contact from God telling me what to do.

I was thinking about a friend of mine who was a nun. She wasn't happy. I was thinking that I should talk with her and suggest that she leave. Then, out of the blue, I 'heard' "NO". It wasn't with my ears that I heard it. It was with my entire being ... my whole SOUL heard it. It wasn't a voice ... it was a command ... and it was so big that the 'NO' went from one end of the sky to the other and was like thunder ... even though I didn't 'hear it' with my ears. It was very male and very in charge. And get this .. I literally ducked because of the power. No one else heard it. No one else felt it. I was the only one. The 'voice' (not really a voice) wasn't mad .. it was commanding. Needless to say, I never told my nun friend that I thought she should leave the convent.

I can't emphasize how BIG the non-voice voice was .... HUGE ... unending ... and powerful. And it wasn't even a voice. I simply can't explain it with words ...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Hmm, yeaaa.. lets see,...nope god pretty much trusts me to make my own decisions I think.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Even after reading these boards for a few years i'm kinda surprised by these figues, but then again 84.3% of all statistics are just made up

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

It clearly does you good. Who am I to judge? There is a Hindu proverb that says there are many paths to the top of the mountain. The only fool is the one running around the bottom telling everyone else they are taking the wrong path.
edit on 30-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

It clearly does you good. Who am I to judge? There is a Hindu proverb that says there are many paths to the top of the mountain. The only fool is the one running around the bottom telling everyone else they are taking the wrong path.

I have never heard that quote before but I like it and I agree with it 100%.

As a child I would go to church with friends and I always got a bit inflamed when the preacher would say things like "If you don't come to church you are going to hell", "If you don't read your bible daily you are going to hell", etc. etc. Even at the age of 9 and 10 this didn't sit too well with me. I don't think any man is qualified to make a judgement call on which timeshare any of us will be visiting after this life passes away. I certainly have way too many faults to even attempt it. I do wish others felt the same way and do understand why non believers feel (at times) like they do. Nobody likes to feel that they are constantly being judged and found lacking.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I have a few instances that I have felt god told me to do something and have acted upon on them. I might get flamed or I might not but anyway here are are some of my stories. I have had a NDE and firmly believe there is a GOD, but anyway my wife and I had a van for sell and I told her I would give it to somebody that needed it before I would let someone Jew me down I priced it at 2,500 and had a lot of people stop, nobody wanted to give that for they keep saying I'll give x amount of money for it and I would say no a few said I'll be back in a few days with no show. Then my wife had a friend in high school that she hadn't talk to since then, so we see on face book that her daughter had cancer she's 17, she was asking for help because they had no car and traveling was hard because they had to ask family members to borrow 1. They have very little money, which I'm am consider in the poverty line. As soon as I seen it I sent her a message and told her she could have it, I don't think she believed me so she sent my wife a message and ask if it was true my wife told her yes I meant it not a dime it was hers if she wanted it. She was so threlled she started to cry she said god answered her prayers. A few days ago my wife and I was going to the store and a guy was broke down in the lane . I told my wife if he is still there when we come back through I'm going to get my truck and see if I could help him, sure enough he was it was a big truck a ten wheeler with a load of pipe on the back. On my way there a cop was in front of me when he seen him he hit his blues to try to keep an accident from happen, I pulled around the cop and he looked at me like wth so I ask the guy do u want me to pull u off the road, he said I don't think ur truck will pull it and I don't want u to damage ur truck, I said let's give it a try, the guy was tickled to death, I got him off the road. The guy said a lot of people was flipping him the bird blowing their horns with anger because he broke down, he was from another state and had no one to call, he tried to offer me money and I said no even though I could have used it, he said let me give u something, I said u can if u see someone needing just offer it if u can, just pass it on. Just yesterday a women ask my motherinlaw if she new anybody that could get her some wood and coal because she had no heat and her daughter was sick. My motherinlaw called my wife and ask if she new anyone that could get her some, when my wife told me, I said I've got some in the garage. So I loaded it up and took it to her u would have thought she won the lottery she was so tickled she said let me give u something look around and if u see something it's yours, I told he thanks but I didn't do it to get something from her. My point being in all these instances it wasn't a loud voice that everyone could hear, but I could hear or feel something saying u can help, in my very firm belief it was GOD telling me or giving me that filling. I don't belong to church but I have a very strong belief in GOD and I do think that everyone would take the time to help one another that GOD will make a difference in their lives, just don't expect something from the person that you help. I think I'm very blessed even though I don't have much in material things I have love all around me and in my NDE experience that was what GOD had shown me. It doesn't take money or material things to make a difference in someone's life sometimes it's just the little things most people never think about. If anyone reading this does one thing to help someone it will give you yourself the feeling that GOD is present and is there in your life. It doesn't matter what faith you are if you help someone without expecting something from the person or people you help you will feel the present's of GOD. If u don't believe in a higher power that's fine but just give it a try and see if you feel it. I wish peace and love to everyone. That's my story of how I have felt the present's of GOD.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thanks. Your instance is the type I was wondering about. You didn't have a conversation but you directly received instruction.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pike13

Did God tell you to make that huge wall of text? Because it's hard to read.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I'm not a computer wiz, I just thought I would share my story sorry if it bothered u

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pike13

It isn't what you said, it's how you said it...never used to understand that phrase. But it applies perfectly here. Your big block of text doesn't read very smoothly. Try paragraphs next time.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I couldn't read it either...lol.

That's just me though, paragraphs should be broken down so the flow of information is easy to digest. Imagine if whole books were written this way.

That's why the Bible is easy to read, someone took the time to break it down chapter by chapter and verse by verse. But originally it was in large blocks. Can you imagine what those translators must have thought after a while? Talk about the headaches. I would not want to have been a translator in those days, I would have lost interest. But monks spent many, many years in transcribing the Bible.

Literacy can be a monster sometimes. Especially for Dyslexics like me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join