It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If a nuke went off on US soil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
At this point I think the general concensus is that OBL probably has a nuclear device of some sort. Assuming that he is able to pull off actually detonating it within the boundaries of the US, what would Americas reaction be? What are the options? With no real country to hold responsible, who would be held accountable? If a nuke did go off in the USA, how could they possibly be passive?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well, it'd be a HELL of a lot easier to get international cooperation in finally tracking him down, as NOBODY likes the idea of a madman armed with nukes going around detonating them....

Which brings us to a scary thought...what if such an attack were actually PLANNED to do just that? It'd be the one thing to get everyone, no matter how much they originally opposed it, to join the War on Terror. Now THAT is a scary concept...

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
If a nuke were smuggled into the US I would hold the US government directly responsible. The homeland can never truly be secured so long as there is a refusal to secure our borders. Eventually this will come up to bite us in the @ss.

At that point, we can retaliate against anyone we like but the fact is we will always be vulnerable to attack so long as we pander to the immigrant lobby and leave our borders wide open. The borders should be patrolled by the National Guard and a missile defense system should be completed.

This would degrade the threat of nuclear attack significantly. But I have little doubt that it will take an attack of this magnitude to wake us up to it, and even then I doubt we'll close the borders.

Political correctness kills.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I agree with you Gazrok. That is a terrifying scenario. One that unfortunately cannot be ruled out.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I hate to keep pounding this point home, but, there is some data that the nukes are already here. Logic dictates that a single nuke would just piss us off, but several detonated all at once would cripple us for years if not forever. Imagine LA, NY, DC, Houston, Chicago, Seattle, New Orleans all hit at once. The great depression would be nothing compared to that.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I really think we would summarily attack Iran, Pakastan, Syria and probably even throw the Saudi�s to the wolves. I think we would get a lot of help doing it. I also think this is EXACTLY what Bin Laden wants to happen.

His beef is with the corrupt governments in the Muslim world. We act as a force multiplier on his behalf. The problem is that we�re a very dangerous lever to use in this manner.

Based on that, I would think he WILL use a nuke against us and he expects to die shortly thereafter.

Wonder if we haven�t been manipulated by him all along and I also wonder if we ever had any choice in the matter once things were set in motion?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
While I believe it possible to likely get a nuke in, the odds on multiples are simply astronomical enough for me not to go there...but even the one is scary.

Remember the financial, emotional, political impact of some planes hitting buildings? Now imagine a nuke effect....

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Fear

that is the key word here, if the US or indeed any western country would provoke a huge backlash against the middle east, terrorists everywhere, and the muslim people.

all out of fear, it would be a massacre of unheard of proportions.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
yes they are nukes already in u.s soil. but how far will the radiation rays, will spread? the caribbean sea? etc?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Smuggling bombs into the US is far easier than you think. Do some research, detecting PU is very hard. We can't stop illegals, coc aine, or heck Checyn's, what makes you think we could stop bomb parts. One big strike in the major ports and cities and we a done. I don't think we could retaliate.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I agree, that that would be crippling, however I don't see any way possible that there would be no retaliation at all. I just don't know who it would be that we lashed out at.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
If a nuke went off on our soil today? I hate to say it but things would get real tough for ALL muslims, right or wrong.

1) US enlistment would increase many 100's of %
2) We would drop Iraq like a hot potato and start the raid of Pakistan. Not to kill Pakistani's of course, but we would not wait for Pakistani permission to enter thier country and nab Usama Bin Poo Poo.
3) I also have a feeling the multinational support wouldnt be to hard to drum up after that. Even countries that hate us couldnt possible deny help because they could not ignore a threat like that out there un-checked.
4) New laws would be passed isntantly (with zero objections) alowing our President to do whatever, whenever, to whomever he deems neccessary.

As fast and as furious as the world would react to such a travesty, as fast as Usama would be killed and Al Qeada eliminated, as "positive" as all these things would be, the world would become a very scary place to live in.

That my friends would be the very end to true freedom. The world would become a police state at the very least. And i will say out of necessity!!! The overall victim of a tarrorist detonated nuke on US soil will ultimately be freedom. Because the US would have no choice any longer but to reduce freedoms to restrict the possibilities of a repeat incedent. And the scary thing is, it would be the only way....

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I agree skippy. That's pretty much the way I see it as well. Pretty frightening, especially when you have to expect it will happen. Our security is a mere fantasy I'm afraid.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm new to this site, just found it a few weeks ago and I've been lurking around since. What a cool site...gotta love the web

This is an interesting subject so I thought I would reply. Nuclear attack, unfortunately, doubtful, and I say unfortunately because odds are if we are attacked within the continental United States by a weapon of mass destruction, it will probably be in the form of chemical or biological. And personally, if faced with the choice of one of the three, I would much rather deal with the aftermath of a nuclear attack rather than the latter two.

I do agree with Ibn Iblis on our borders, and immigration. Yes, I know that goes against everything this country is founded on....but let's not forget, we live in a completely 100% different society now. The world's society is more violent than any other time in the history of man. And for anyone who doubts that, just honestly ask yourself, what sell's, answer---violence sell's, just look at Hollywood for starters.

Anyways, back to the real subject here. Think about it for a sec, as human beings, what is it above EVERYTHING else we need that will ensure our survival?? I mean in general, not from an attack. We need WATER!! Without water, we are as good as dead!! Now how many of you out there have actually stopped and thought about just where exactly does your city get its pottable water from?? (This does not include those of you who are on private wells) And once they have it and its treated and ready for distribution, they surely have to store it some place. Like in resevoirs, well are those resevoirs open air resevoirs??? Meaning...nothing covering them.

Unfortunately, my city's water resevoirs are open air facilitys. And let me add...very very minimul security. (Cheap bast#*%#) My point is, with the types of chemical and biological agents that are out there these days, and in the wrong hands...what's stopping them from tossing a few tablespoons into those resevoirs randomly across the country...big city's or small town, dont really matter much once you start polluting our pottable water supply.

I truly hope that this nightmare scenario never plays out!! I truly believe the only way to protect this country and its current citizens, is to lock our borders down!! Suspend ALL immigration indefinately!! You may leave this country if you desire, but as for moving here....NO!!! Those days should be but a distant memory of how things once were. Until mankind can prove that it no longer thrives on violence, murder, and mayhem, the Iron Curtian needs to go up, and stay up!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
"That my friends would be the very end to true freedom. The world would become a police state at the very least. And i will say out of necessity!!! The overall victim of a tarrorist detonated nuke on US soil will ultimately be freedom. Because the US would have no choice any longer but to reduce freedoms to restrict the possibilities of a repeat incedent. And the scary thing is, it would be the only way...."

The US as we know it would be gone. I think many of you underestimate the devastation and Chaos that would follow.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
No DrHoracid,

I think it would get pretty crazy for a bit, but you must know that any nuke that a terrorist could possibly create let alone detonate in the US isnt the likes of some missle delivered ICBM or such. It would be real bad, many tens of thousands could die pending placement and timing. But the country would not cease to exist. You forget that the US is a big place with 300 million people in it. Some quite resilient and clever contrary to some beliefs.

It would be very ugly, confusing and chaotic for sure. But in the end you would see American heroics and spirit like never before in the history of the country. In the world for that matter. I have no doubt at all, not for an instant that the "good" guys of the world would prevail. Its just at what cost. Not just lives, but the very thing we fight for: Freedom and peace.

[edit on 16-11-2004 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The US would have full power to retaliate. There might be major devestation to our economy and infrastructure but unless you hit our silos and subs with something awefully big, chances are we're coming right back at ya. Our defenses were design to withstand direct attacks from Russian ICBMs. No way a few suitcase bombs are going to affect them. No, if that happens I predict a lot more glowing glass in the future of the world..especially with Bush/Cheney in control.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
First rule, never under estimate the enemy. There is data that OBL has some warheads from old SS-20's. Disassembly, transport, reassembly. I'm not talking 3-10 kiloton, I'm talking 10 megatons each. I am a believer in the US's ability to survive. But it would take more than a few days, months, maybe years. Look what happens in a blackout. Distribtion of food delivery, gas, power, water. The refugees would be a rather large issue.

[edit on 16-11-2004 by DrHoracid]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a quote comes to mind...

As you can see, my young apprentice, your
friends have failed. Now witness the
firepower of this fully armed and operational
battle station. Fire at will, Commander.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I can guarantee without a doubt that military enlistment would equal hundreds of thousands ready and willing to spill the blood of the enemy. And with hundreds of thousands of homegrown militia members operating under vigilante principals taking out every "muslim" person they see.

It will be an ugly day for humanity. If they really truley beleive that "allah" is the god of gods. Then they shall not push forward with a plan of "nuking" the US. For the great Jihad will have started and they will be on the wrong side.

Muslim, Islam, terrorists, these will be the words of the past to be replaced by Sponsored Police State, Goverment Control and Military Directive. When the "enemy" is dispatched we will have created a new "enemy" of our own doing.

If they really love freedom, then they shall not seek death by measure and fury from an enemy that has no limits.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join