It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dust storm kills 3 in Arizona

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

www.azcentral.com...

These storms are not uncommon in the southwest. Trying to drive thru or out of a storm of this nature is fool hardy; best to pull off and wait till it passes.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I want to be an air filter and particle mask salesman in Arizona, is this a big business yet? I can see how you could go thru several in your car, home and work every year.....but agreed, park in a safe place, shut off the engine, put on your mask....

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

These storms are not uncommon in the southwest. Trying to drive thru or out of a storm of this nature is fool hardy; best to pull off and wait till it passes.
reply to post by olaru12

When I was a teen my mother was driving home after shopping, with a station wagon packed with 10 children, (we have a big family). It was snowing pretty heavily so she was driving very slow. Suddenly everything in our world went white. We couldn't see any further then the car windows. I mean we couldn't see anything, no shapes or shadows. We couldn't even see the snow falling.

All of us children became frightened, we hadn't seen anything like it before. My mom told us it was okay, it is just a whiteout and she was stopping the car until we could see again. I asked mom if it was safe to stay parked in the middle of the highway. She told me she couldn't keep driving because she couldn't tell if she was still on the road and she didn't want to take the risk of hitting someone that may also be going slow or was stopped.

We sat on that highway for what seemed like hours to my child's' mind; all the while waiting to get struck by another car. When the snow let up enough that we could see shapes again, we saw at least 8 other cars sitting still on the road. It was very scary and a little exciting at the same time. It was an experience I will never forget. I have been in whiteouts since, but never again in a car. Your advice is correct. If you can't see, stop, and pray everyone else has the common sense to do the same.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

yes i live in Phoenix and the haboobs are pretty intense sometimes. I've been in some that were worse than the blizzards on the east coast.
The only thing that stops you from hitting the car in front is the faint red brake lights. Now add that plus the idiots driving

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
That article is dated December 23, 2009. The video was uploaded in October 2011.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

sirteewhy
reply to post by olaru12

yes i live in Phoenix and the haboobs are pretty intense sometimes. I've been in some that were worse than the blizzards on the east coast.
The only thing that stops you from hitting the car in front is the faint red brake lights. Now add that plus the idiots driving

Yep. When I lived in AZ and one of these hit, I pulled over and waited for it to pass. Way safer. It can go from great visibility to very little visibility so fast and unless you see that wall of dust coming, sometimes with little warning.

I remember doing a full spring cleaning one day and I decided to air out the house to let out all that stale trapped winter air. Not 5 minutes after I opened the last window in the house, a dust storm hit. I couldn't get the windows shut fast enough and wouldn't you know it, my leather couch went from black to clay red. Had to clean the whole place all over again but that's how fast they hit and how dust laden they are, lol.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

You're right about the source OP - but three people were killed today -

3 killed as multiple collisions close I-10 lanes near Picacho Peak

www.azcentral.com...

Perhaps he read the headline - did search and wrong story came up.
edit on 29-10-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I live ten miles from where that happened. What is sad, is there are many deadly accidents on that stretch at the picacho mountains every year. Something really needs to be done there. The way the roads merge there, and on a corner, with low visibility is bad.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Something similar happened to me a few years ago.
I was driving to Oklahoma with my Dad and Brother. My Dad was in the passenger seat and my brother was asleep in the back. We were about an hour outside of St Louis going west and hit a big storm (one that dominated the news (2010 i think, killed 3 or so people and dropped about 24 tornadoes in one night). We were traveling and I saw trucks pulled over at truck stops, but being from the east my head wasn't really thinking how intense the storm could be. Tree branches and leaves started flying across the road and then rain so hard it was exactly like parking under a waterfall. I couldn't see anything, my dad could see from a tiny corner of his side and guided me. Then all of a sudden no rain, but a brown wall of dust and the car wasn't accelerating like it should. I could feel the wind lift it. I had considered stopping, but the idea of a truck plowing into us from behind kept me going at a much reduced speed. Also I figured I was just as liable to be hit be a tornado on the side of the road as I was traveling and I just tried to break through the storm.

I don't know how close we were to a tornado because it would have been rain wrapped, but given the debris and feel of the car, I think we were very close if not crossing one. I'm glad I couldn't see what was to our sides or in front of us honestly. Every lightening flash I was afraid I'd see a black wall. I remember thinking any second we would just be thrown (woke my brother up very early on in the storm and he was upset that we didn't let him sleep lol).

When we got to an exit and made it to a hotel the person at the desk was shocked and told us there were many tornadoes on the ground in that county and they couldn't believe we drove through it. I think there were 24 that night, and then that whole spring was one of the worst outbreaks in recent years. I know several people were killed that night and the news had shots of a car lot in st louis that was hit and had cars upside down.

Very freaky feeling, not knowing whether to stop or go.

new topics

top topics

join