It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pregnant woman files charges over unwanted BELLY RUB

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

FortAnthem

Honestly, I can't believe this hasn't happened earlier than this. I remember when my wife was pregnant and strangers would come up and ask to touch or rub her belly. It completely weirded us both out. I just don't know why some people think touching a pregnant woman's belly is socially acceptable if you don't know her or haven't been invited.

Because it is life?! It is a new beginning and it is human nature to want to nurture. If they were asking and you denied, so be it; no big deal. Why would you be "weirded" out?!

Now if someone just goes in and starts rubbing, then that is a different story. But what happens when we take this "personal space" issue to the point that if someone "rubs" us while passing them, we sue?

When my wife was pregnant and people asked if they can rub her belly, we saw it as a good thing. People, humanity, recognized that a life was budding and that was a good thing to us.

To each their own I suppose. Sue if you are touched unwanted, but come on...this is getting out of hand. Even in your opening statement OP...you were "ASKED"...it wasn't welcomed touching.
edit on 29-10-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I went to a family friendly "Living History" show recently. My father is a huge fan of historic acting and was a performer which was my interest in going. This show was setup where actors become the people buried at certain grave sites in an historic graveyard which is full of many names people living in the area know well.

It's quite interesting and entertaining... and for those with a conspiracy bend... reveals a lot of local connections you might not be aware of.

Anyways... as for the topic at hand. I'm a 30 something year old male obviously attending this show with my female companion. There is no capacity for doubt among those attending regarding the fact I am at this event with this female.

One of the older female performers dressed as an 1800's "lady of ill-repute" came up behind me during one of the grave site monologues, pressed her entire body against me, rested her hands on my shoulders, and whispered a mildly seductive greeting to me. I politely and with a boyish grin greeted her back and pushed her away as I proceeded to put my arm around my girlfriend indicating I wasn't "for sale".

I had not been told this was a possible sort of encounter, nor asked if I wanted to participate. It happened entirely without my consent and I was within this other person's physical grasp and expected to choose a reaction with my girlfriend standing right next to me... all before I could object in any form without causing a scene.

Because of my chosen reaction it was taken as part of the show and no offensive intention interpreted... thus everyone nearby chuckled.

Is a "traffic citation" worth giving to this woman? Should I have pressed charges?
edit on 30-10-2013 by BardingTheBard because:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

This sounds like the only side of the story so far is coming from the guy.

We don't really know the details. First of all, unless you are good friends with a woman you shouldn't be rubbing her anywhere without permission. If he stated "I want us to be good friends" then that's admitting they weren't at the time of said rub right?

For all we know he could be some creepy neighbor that continually makes her uncomfortable and touches her weird when greeted. Guys like that exist in hordes out there. I would just say to anyone saying it's "ok" if it's a guy saying it, would you be ok with a dude coming up and rubbing you? Well, many women don't feel comfortable with that either.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

You shouldn't touch other people without invitation/good reason (CPR, for example).

HOWEVER, this lady is an idiot. To leverage the legal system for this is wasteful and morose. Tell the guy to leave you alone. If he persists, then call the cops.

I do not support her over reaction in the slightest, despite supporting her viewpoint on having her belly rubbed. I am not fond of other people touching my wife, even when she was pregnant.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
'Harrasses, annoys or alarms a person'

I don't advocate rubbing pregnant womens' stomachs...

Niether do I make eye contact, walk towards, or acknowledge that anyone exists...I would hate to have to 'prove' that I was not harrassing, annoying or alarming anyone...not that it would make any difference...

Å99
edit on 30-10-2013 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I agree with your assessment of it. There's more behind the story.
edit on 30-10-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by FortAnthem

You shouldn't touch other people without invitation/good reason (CPR, for example).

HOWEVER, this lady is an idiot. To leverage the legal system for this is wasteful and morose. Tell the guy to leave you alone. If he persists, then call the cops.

I do not support her over reaction in the slightest, despite supporting her viewpoint on having her belly rubbed. I am not fond of other people touching my wife, even when she was pregnant.

Pretty much this.

Is it always appropriate to touch people without permission? Absolutely not.

Is it appropriate to sue someone over it? In this case, that's far more outrageous than the innappropriate touching.

It's a belly rub for God's sake. Trust me, worse things will happen to you in life than this momentary discomfort. You're about to push a thing the size of a small watermelon out of your genetalia, after all. I can't see how there's much time to complain about some dude who you know touching your tum-tum. Seems like a very immature reaction from someone who is about to be a parent.

If I was the juge of this case, I would give this woman a lambasting about her complete disregard for how she's wasting the court's time and money with her infantile reactionism.
edit on 30-10-2013 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I agree,she could have just said:"You know,a lot of pregnant women propably don't mind people touching their bumps-but I am different in that way,I just hate it,so skip it from now on,ok?" And gave him a smile and a (very hard) pat on the back.

Which would have been more diplomatic-and given him an example of how uncomfortable unwanted touching from others can be.

People don't communicate enough in the proper way-a firm statement that she does not want him touching her belly may well still have left the friendship intact,I don't see how legal proceedings can have the same effect.If the guy was just raised in a big jolly family where it was perfectly acceptable for all to touch every pregnant relative's belly,he must after this think she is a neurotic cow,to put it in a polite way.

In case he was being creepy,a firm statement would have at least set boundaries,but if she did find him mildly creepy even,or he ever acted creepy,why invite him into her home in the 1st place?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

FortAnthem

Pregnant Woman Files Charges Over Belly Rubbing

A representative from the Pennsylvania State Police tells Yahoo Shine that earlier this month, 57-year-old Richard J. Beishline visited his neighbor, a 30-year-old pregnant woman named Michelle Troutman in Frankfort, Pennsylvania. According to the police report, after giving Troutman a hug, Beishline said, “I just want to be friends” and rubbed her stomach. Troutman pushed him away, and he quickly left. She has since filed harassment charges against Beishline, and if he pleads guilty, he’ll pay a fine determined by a judge. If he pleads not guilty, both parties will have to testify in court.

There has probably been a pre existing issue, a 57 year old man normally doesn't hug a woman and say, "I just want to be friends".

The way he did it is extremely creepy.
edit on 30-10-2013 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join