It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought Police are alive and well... A little something from the EU..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
www.gatestoneinstitute.org...

While European leaders are busy expressing public indignation over reports of American espionage operations in the European Union, the European Parliament is quietly considering a proposal that calls for the direct surveillance of any EU citizen suspected of being "intolerant."

A rather long article on the proposal.. that is now receiving attention...

www.europeandignitywatch.org...

The authors of this proposed statute — under the aegis of an international NGO for tolerance and reconciliation — have invited the Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs Committee to endorse it as a legal project. But not only would an adoption of this statute at the national level of the European states be a significant step backward, but the supra-national surveillance that it would imply would certainly be a dark day for European democracy.

www.europeandignitywatch.org...

“Principle of Equality” to overrule fundamental freedoms of citizens

The European Union is about to set a milestone in anti-discrimination legislation – by widening the scope to all sectors of life, including the private one. A new horizontal principle to prohibit discrimination on various grounds, including sexual orientation, shall be established. The proposed new “Equal Treatment Directive”, which is currently being negotiated, would seriously imperil fundamental aspects of freedom of European citizens. The principles of freedom of contract and the freedom to live according to one’s personal moral views are in danger of being superseded by a newly developed concept of ‘equality’. It would undermine freedom and self determination for all Europeans and subject the private life of citizens to legal uncertainty and the control of bureaucrats. It is about governmental control of social behavior of citizens. These tendencies begin to give the impression of long-passed totalitarian ideas and constitute an unprecedented attack on citizens’ rights.

A thinking person has to wonder what the human condition will be like in another 50 or hundred years?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me at all. The more equality is championed, the more freedom of speech is being eroded.

I wonder if the E.U Government will fall into any of the groups being considered for protection?

Whilst the first equality laws were introduced with the best of intentions, subsequent Governments have used their position to broaden the laws and this has impacted on freedom of speech.

Words can't harm you, but they can generate a court appearance, a fine or even prison time.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I could totally believe this and worse these days, however both links you provide are from think tanks and in my experiance they've all got an angle and some arn't above down right twisting of information.

gunna do my home work before I comment properly on this
edit on 29102013 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

monkofmimir
I could totally believe this and worse these days, however both links you provide are from think tanks and in my experiance they've all got an angle and some arn't above down right twisting of information.

gunna do my home work before I comment properly on this
edit on 29102013 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

both links you provide are from think tanks and in my experiance they've all got an angle and some arn't above down right twisting of information.

I would tend to agree but, I also saw the 45 minute presentation to the European Parliament. Someone appears to be interested in the halls of government, No?

After five years of lobbying in Europe's halls of power, the ECTR proposal appears to be making headway, as evidenced by the European Parliament's recent decision to give the group a prominent 45-minute time slot to present its proposal to the Civil Liberties committee on September 17.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
heres the document in question

www.europarl.europa.eu...

Here are my favorite higlight of this proposed policy

given the need to fight crime, persons may not be allowed to cover their faces in public.

I see this as a fundemantal part of any right to privacy as well as freedom of expression, dress and religion!

There is no need to be tolerant to the intolerant. This is especially important as far as freedom of expression is concerned: th at freedom must not be abused to defame other groups.

so in other words if anyone holds views deemed intolerant they have no right to expess them. Well who decides what is an intolerant belief. and while I may not like a belief I respect your right to hold it and to express it.

Tolerance (as defined in Section 1(d)) must be guaranteed to any group (as defined in Section 1(a)), whether it has long - standing societal roots or it is recently formed, especially as a result of migration from abroad

I'm really not one of the "were second class citizens in our own counrty" brigade but this is absurd so the rights of someone who is from another country not to be discriminated against are not equal to my rights not to be discriminated against! that is discrimination right there.

The following acts will be regarded as criminal offences punishable as aggravated crimes :

(i) Hate crimes as defined in Section 1(c).
(ii) Incitement to violence against a group as defined in Section 1(a).
(iii) Group libel as defined in Section 1(b).
(iv) Overt approval of a totalitarian ideology , xenophobia or anti - Semitism .
(v) Public approval or d enial of the Holocaust .
(vi) Public approval or d enial of any other act of genocide the existence of which has been determined by an international criminal court or tribunal .

Judging by iv I guess I cant support the government as they are becoming more and more totalitarian, not to mention the EU. Also how vague is "totalitarian ideology" and knwo governments tendincies to include other groups how long before it also includes communist, monarchist, libertarian and every other ideology out there.

seriously what happened to free speech.

Juveniles convicted of committing crimes listed in paragraph
(a) will be required to undergo a rehabilitation program me designed to instill in them a culture of tolerance.

Children guilty of thought crime will be placed in government re-education camps.

(a) The G overnment shall ensure that public broadcasting (televis ion a n d radio) stations will devote a prescribed percentage of their programmes to promot ing a climate of tolerance , as per Section 8(f) .
(b) (b) The Government shall encourage all privately owned mass media (including the printed press ) to promote a climate of tolerance, as per Section 8(f).
(c) The Government shall encourage all the mass media (public a s well as private) to a dopt an ethical code of conduct, which will prevent the spreading of intolerance and will be supervised by a mass media c omplaints c ommission .

Well there goes any illusion of a free press.

Theres plenty more of this garbage in there but this is what caught my eye.

We need to get out of the EU so badly, we have enough problems with the uk government without compounding them with the fools in the EU government.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
We will show no tolerance for intolerance!
Have we made ourselves clear?
Opaquely so.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing some burning government buildings in Europe if they keep shoving this kind of stuff down the throats of the people.
edit on 29-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
I have a feeling we'll be seeing some burning government buildings in Europe if they keep shoving this kind of stuff down the throats of the people.

Western politicians have lost all grasp on reality, rome is burning and they're busy fiddling the books.

Seriously though how many new movements or Ideas have there been in the last 20 years that have been adopted.
Yeah you've got your fringe movements like the tea party, occupy movement or ukip but even the most sucessful can't touch mainstream politics in anyway close to what they need to actually impart their vision of how to improve things and while it is debatable which groups do or don't have the best ideas and approaches this intilectual stagnation and creeping beaurocracy that has a strangle hold on us will inevitable lead us to great wrack and ruin.

As for the burning buildings I doubt europe is going to have a monopoly on them, people are starting to realize just how screwed they've been on an international scale. All that is left is a spark to light the fuse, like a collapsing economy.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
isn't it odd that the since the USSR fell russia is slowly becoming a "western" state if if a little "old west" in nature
while at the same time "the west" USA/EU is slowly becoming like the old USSR !
funny old world aint it!

Scary thought what if in a few years time we all find ourselves the wrong side of a new iron curtain.

edit on 29/10/13 by ShayneJUK because: eta

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

ShayneJUK
isn't it odd that the since the USSR fell russia is slowly becoming a "western" state if if a little "old west" in nature
while at the same time "the west" USA/EU is slowly becoming like the old USSR !
funny old world aint it!

Scary thought what if in a few years time we all find ourselves the wrong side of a new iron curtain.

edit on 29/10/13 by ShayneJUK because: eta

If you understand things at a deeper level you'd see that this was the plan. The plan is to keep things moving, never get settled, turn the left to the right, the up to the down, the rich to the poor, the happy to the sad, the communist to the capitalist. This was-is, the plan. The best part of the plan is they learn, so where the Russia failed to control the populace's mind, the EU will succeed because they learned how to fix the problems.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

crankyoldman
The best part of the plan is they learn, so where the Russia failed to control the populace's mind, the EU will succeed because they learned how to fix the problems.

Are we talking about the same EU

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Smash the ugly murderous face of communism now before they gain total control, strip everyone of their wealth under pain of death if one refuses and convert us all into serfs suffering under worse conditions than any slave in history.

Who funds this I wonder? Could it be the boys who funded Sept 11? The boys from Saudi Arabia?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Intolerant of what, exactly?

I used to despair when I heard stories like this. Now that I know what it means it makes me realise that the 'chains' are not only going to be loosened but will soon disappear altogether!!

Let them get on with it. Time for this lunacy is always self limiting.

new topics

top topics

join