It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Workout Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
So I hope I am posting in the right forum.

I have been doing this workout for about a month and a half now. www.mensfitness.com... I have been keeping up about every other day since. I have lost a lot of weight and have some muscle now. Here is my question. The workout is really easy now and I am not sure if I should do more reps or sets or even up my weights. I use 25lb dumbbells for these sets of 3 and 15 reps. Should I increase my reps to 20 and keep my sets at 3 or do 4 sets of 15 reps. I am kinda cheap and do not want to buy 30lb 40 lb dumbbells but I guess I should. I also do not want to get very bulky. Thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help me out here.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ModestMike

I would highly recommend this website for bodybuilding. It is all free and he (Scooby) has tutorials on everything including adding weight etc. He also has beginner, intermediate, and advanced workout plans which fixes the issue that you're worried about.

scoobysworkshop.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

ModestMike
So I hope I am posting in the right forum.

I have been doing this workout for about a month and a half now. www.mensfitness.com... I have been keeping up about every other day since. I have lost a lot of weight and have some muscle now. Here is my question. The workout is really easy now and I am not sure if I should do more reps or sets or even up my weights. I use 25lb dumbbells for these sets of 3 and 15 reps. Should I increase my reps to 20 and keep my sets at 3 or do 4 sets of 15 reps. I am kinda cheap and do not want to buy 30lb 40 lb dumbbells but I guess I should. I also do not want to get very bulky. Thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help me out here.

Well if it's getting too easy than you're wasting your time IMO. When exercising you should always be pushing your limits. I recommend moving up in weights. However if you don't want to go that route I would say try switching up the order of the workouts to keep your body guessing. Also try going slower and focusing on the muscles and pushing your blood into those muscle groups if that makes sense. Disclaimer I'm not a trainer.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Technically you do not need new dumbbells, as you said you do not want to bulk up too much.

Commonly low-rep sets with high weights are used for building muscle mass, while high-rep sets with lower weights are used for adding muscle tone - current muscles more defined and visible.

Although 15 can already be considered high-rep, but well you can try for some time and if you are not happy with the results, you might want to consider getting new dumbbells.

I would suggest mixing up the exercises a bit - switching some, adding some more advanced. Body needs change every once in a while.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Congrats on the weight loss. It would help if you gave a little more information.. What's your goal? Are you overweight? You said you don't want to get bulky, you mean like Arnold bulky or the guy from Man of Steel bulky because either one takes extreme dieting working out and or "supplements".

From what info you gave if you don't want to buy more equipment or join a gym. Start adding body weight exercises.
Dips
Push ups incline/decline
Squats
Pull ups
Don't increase your reps with weights. Add a 4th set and take shorter rests.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I wouldn't increase the reps to 20 when you no longer feel challenged. I would increase the weight of the dumbbells until you can do 8 to 10 repetitions using proper form! Because it's essential to challenge yourself when using dumbbells. A good resource for working out at home is: dumbbell exercises. They aren't very bulky, too.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
its gotten easy, not because you have outgrown it, but because your muscles have memorized it. I would HIGHLY recommend alternating that workout with another (silly as it sounds, jillian michaels routines are great for off days)

Keep you muscles guessing. Dont let them get used to the exercises.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Thank you to everyone for the awesome information! I will try different work outs and slow mine down for proper form!

new topics

top topics

join