It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This just made me wonder..re our pets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Just saw this fascinating snippet and it gave me paws for thought (
sorry could'nt resist
): could our pets be trained to be of practical assistance during a SHTF? I am thinking especially of dogs,though the idea that inspired this thread references to cats.

Some breeds are highly highly intelligent-and very quick to learn with a good trainer-imagine during a SHTF where it is downright dangerous for humans to be on the streets,anywhere outside-but where a dog or cat would not be so much taken notice of-and has the advantage of speed and agility? To convey messages,even small parcels like medicine.

Here is the article that made me think:
www.care2.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

NOPE!
The first command I ever teach my pets is "head down", this is where they are laying down and they put their heads to the ground.
In a SHTF, I would be afraid of someone seeing a meal.
At least at home with their head down, they might stand a chance against attackers that may have guns.
I only use my doggies for early warning, the rest Daddy can fix himself.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

If TSHTF, I'm following my two boys...1 red nose and 1 fawn pit bulls. One is 5 the other is at least seven. Wherever they go, I'm going because I trust them.

Here's an example:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Great thread

s n f

ETA
I don't have to tell commands to my boys, because they over stand me better than anyone. If It's going down....I'm following them, because I know them and they definitely know more than me concerning a natural disaster. Manmade evnt, I don't think anything could assist any of us as this is outside the limits of intuition.

Call it superstition...but the animals know.
edit on 10/28/13 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
There was an extremely lengthy article I read on a blog by a man who had survived economic collapse in one of the South American countries. I wish I remembered how to get to it because it full of interesting tidbits.

However, one of the things I do remember him saying was that one of the most valuable commodities to have was a good dog. However, he also said that because a good dog is so useful, they are also often one of the first targets when you are being targeted by outsiders. They will find all sorts of ways to get rid of your dog beyond even the obvious shooting like poison, for example. So, while the dog is very useful and valuable, it's also difficult to keep.

My husband and I have shopped around, and assuming we ever get the money squirreled away, we're looking at a Bull Mastiff - family friendly, protective, not as large as the English mastiff, not as exercise intensive as most large breeds, able to adapt to smaller yards/spaces (even apartments with walks), hit like a ton of bricks and not prone to biting because they were trained to help game keepers by pinning before biting/holding.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This is actually a good idea...

Absolutley...I don't see why not. Afterall we use our pets for many many similar
purposes already today. In a shtf scenario having your companion right there
surviving with you would be ideal imo.

These are just some of the current jobs we train our pets to do today:

Search and Rescue
Sniffing out Cancer
Seeing Eye Dogs
Guard Dogs
Bomb Sniffing Dogs
Police K9 units
Cats to control rodent population
Military Cats

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

www.army.mil...

www.care2.com...

Studies have shown that dogs understand human gestures and facial expressions
better than any other species, blowing away our own primate cousins. Those of
us with dogs have long understood how deeply attuned they are to our emotions,
possessing a human-like empathy unmatched throughout the animal kingdom

But, as Hare explains, they’re also capable of feats of human-like reasoning.
For example, being asked to retrieve an object with a name they’ve never been
taught, dogs will infer that the one they’ve never seen before is the one required.
In another study, being told by a pointing human where food is being hidden, dogs
have been shown to file away that information until they have the opportunity to
retrieve it, combining their great memory and understanding of human gestures
with an ability to plan ahead.

Read more: www.care2.com...

For example, dogs can hear five times more acutely than humans, and cats about
twice as acutely as dogs. Also, a domestic cat's sense of smell is about fourteen
times as strong as a human's.

As devoted as our pets are... I know this would be very do-able.

Just a thought though... you might want to start that training now.. it takes time
to train for these types of things. & the training has to be maintained. It would
be an awesome skill set to have ready to be utilized in a shtf scenario.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I've seen youtube videos of dogs who've been taught some amazing "tricks". I'm sure that with determination and consistency they can be taught many things. Unfortunately, I think they would also in some ways be a detriment in a SHTF scenario. For example, I love my dogs soooo much, that they would almost certainly slow me down, because I would not want to leave them or have them get lost.

I have a small 20lb mix breed who is 13 years old, and he and I have an almost telepathic communication system (only half joking here!). I trust him off leash, and know that if I needed to move fast, he would be by my side. As for his pitfalls, he's a barker, which could be a problem if I needed him to be quiet. That could also be a plus if there was a burglar or something like that. But, then again, he's old. He has arthritis. Those would be issues too.

And then there's my 9 month old German Shepherd girl. Maybe in 5 years she might be useful in a SHTF scenario, but for now, she'd probably be more trouble than my 7 year old human daughter! I don't trust her off leash yet, she hasn't developed consistent obedience off leash yet. We haven't been together 13 years, so we haven't developed such a great communication level as I have with my other dog. She does see me as a leader figure, so I would hope that she would sense any urgency and adapt quickly if the need be. She has a backpack, she could carry a small bit of her own food and water, but I would not expect her to carry much, if anything at all. I think I'd rather have her movements unrestricted for her own safety, and for mine in case she were to decide she loves me (the giver of food) and needed to protect me.

I think that all dog training, included those skills or 'tricks' that could be useful in an emergency situation requires consistency and much training.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

As I ponder what to due in a shtf scenario, I guess I forgot about my little furry friends. I lost a home due to arson about 11 years ago. Since then, I have always had some type of k9. Three years ago was the first time I was able to afford a properly trained dog. I have a Doberman Pinscher trained as a personal protection dog. He is great! He follows all the commands perfectly, but still is able to be affectionate. I love this little (big) guy. We also have a Husky and a Pitbull mix.

I guess you have to consider that they are extra mouths to feed, but living in the country, they do a pretty good job bringing home some kills.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Perfectly understandable.I am very protective of my own dogs too:-) I do love them so much.Two Danes and a Fox Terrier here:-)
I was thinking in a dire emergency like a SHTF,imagine one's parents or children,best friend or relative lived close by-and one had a dog trained to say,on command of:"Go to Jim!" Will then from training know to go to Jim's (brother/dad/best+trusted friend's ) house and bark outside,as a pre-arranged signal..I was also thinking,in more isolates places,between neighbouring farmers who are good friends and may purchase 2 dogs at the same time+train/have them trained in this way,in case of eg a home invasion-the tenants of the invaded home may well all be kept at gunpoint+but the dog owner had time to quickly send the dog over to the adjacent farm for help,just the bare bones of an idea:-)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

I had to s+f your thread,it made me tear up,but in a good way:-) Your dogs are Awesome,so beautiful.Yes,it is a wondermous thing,the way dogs seem to Want to be with us at all times,it is actually very humbling,when you really think about it-here is the one species with the best nature known to man,real life guardian angels+best and most devoted,to-the death-loyal beings- to the worst natured species known to man,our own.
Wonderful thread of yours,I shall post in it soon,I have one or 2 wonderful anecdotes to share on there:-)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Just wanted to add that australian shepherds are awesome dogs - they've got to be one of the smartest breeds.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

I see and agree, a bugout command would be excellent.
Kind of like a homing pigeon, go to destination XX.
My only fear is that they would stay and not run for their lives.
I place my dogs lives above my own you see.
I have had hard times in my life and been in situations where I wasn't sure of my existence real bad things, funny that the hardest I have ever been hit was losing a dog.
You see, I have a deep set belief that they are better than us.
Dogs and babies are the only things I hold sacred anymore.
And babies grow out of their sacredness.

Wanna see a dangerous person? remove my dogs from the equation.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Oh Mastiffs are MAGNIFICENT!!! We would so much love to have one,but in my country,they are prohibitively expensive,well for folks of our fairly low income group-otherwise we most most definitely and assuredly we would have had one,at least,possibly 2 of these gentle giants-they are so great with children too.Maybe one day..but prices here for thoroughbreds can be around 30 000 bucks each,in our currency.
My husband has checked it out,I remembeer him saying that some SA farmers even get orders from the US.
Our grand dream:-) but we absolutely adore Danes too-we have 2 females(the youngest one was actually an abandoned stray,who came to us in almost supernatural-seeming circumstances.)We love the massive breeds,Irish Wolfhounds are wonderful too.

Our fences here are in a bad state of repair,but we do not own the property+the owner is too stingy to have it fixed,so I keep my dogs inside about 23/7 and am usually outside when they are,in case they leave the yard-there are poisonous snakes around in summer too,I don't want them wading through there in snake season,or anytime really.

My best wishes to you,that you get the Mastiff(s) :-)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Happy1

Just wanted to add that australian shepherds are awesome dogs - they've got to be one of the smartest breeds.

I am a pit fan, however I have heard from many Aussie Shep owners of their brilliance, there is some to what you claim.
They must be the Aussie equivalent to the Pit.

I would love to have one in my pack.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Mastiffs are excellent dogs, akin to a HUUGE Pit.
My only problem is they tend not to live as long, and the heartache associated would crush me.
I hate the idea that I will lose mine in 15 to 20 years let alone 8 to 10 years.
I almost wish my dogs could outlive me, but who would ever love them like I do?
I am an awesome doggydaddy.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Oh, if I could win the lottery and have the land and the time to take all of God's dogs to keep and love, and feed, and train......

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Thank you for the great links! Much appreciated,and I had to smile at Military cats:-)
Will be sure to read up.Yes gosh animal intelligence,especially dogs,is very underrated in general,I think,but not so by the military-and this is something civilians can also avail themself of,for help in dire emergencies-but of course one would need to start early in the dog's life+to avoid confusion during a general messy situation,to keep it simple-the dog coulf eg be trained to "fetch" help-but the human helper would need to be closely involved in training.I am thinking,better to have say,two or at the very most 3 possible destinations,maybe more than 2 is unwise.But certainly,it could work, if only used as a "911/SOS" system.Provided the folks at the receiving end of the SOS is on the same page,that is essential.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MojaveBurning

German Shepherds are gorgeous dogs:-)I like the breed very much.I have thought of many SHTF scenarios,and the bark factor can be a double-edged sword though.In that it can attract some unwanted attention,but a fierce barking dog can of course be a deterrant also.That is where excellent+consistent training can come in handy,if done from a young age,they can propably be taught to be "silent" Deeply ingrained training done over a long period,as a way of life-i have seen dog owners on a few occasions give the "Quiet!"Command and then those dogs just obey,not a pip or squeak after the command-but in all cases,they were well trained over quite a period of time-i suspect the barking is one of the most difficult hurdles because it is primal instinct that has to be overcome,and maintained for a period of time.
But German sheps are one of the most highly intelligent breeds,training with them is usually hugely successful.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MojaveBurning

Btw I had to add seperately from the "training-as-SOS-dog" matter,I think that telepathic comms you have with your mixed breed is so precious-give your dog a hug from me-i have an oldlady Dane,its actually amazing,she is between 9-10 yo,and still very frisky at times,but in general I can see she is aging faster theses days-not something I want to contemplate too much,we love that dog SO much.But you know the deal with Danes,one has to be prepared that they seldom make it much longer than a decade,and I cannot say much more on this,I get so angry,it seems so unfair,these magnificent beings with their colorful personalities(my oldlady is such a clown,very eccentric) One grows to love them almost like as if they were children,its impossible Not too..but so short a time,for all that wonderfulness+love+fun.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by GNOarmy

Your dogs sound marvellous:-) I've never owned a Doby,I remember as a child a good friend's parents kept 2.They are also very intelligent,respond very well to training.
I'm glad yours still have that loveyness,it is so important they never lose that.My husband's employer company also uses guard dogs,my hubby is good friends with one of the dog handlers,in fact we are getting a Rottweiler from him soon-a breed that is also excellent as a guard,intelligent but a great family breed at the same time.I am thinking of setting up such an SOS system with this man,well my hubby and myself,because it can work well as a reciprocal system.
When it comes to the issue of extra mouths,we buy a good quality dogfood,the type given to the company guard dogs-and when I cook a homecooked meal like meat,rice/potatoes+veg there is always some leftovers(though I don't think it's wise to feed dogs leftovers from some overly rich foods like pasta with a very rich sauce) we also buy gravy powder,or use a beefy spread like Bovril as a base for a sauce,to which I add leftovers that is suitable,which is most of ours,this bulks up their food supply+make the pellets last longer.They enjoy veggies or plain pasta without sauce too,specially if in this beefy gravy sauce.
I just chalk it up as having extra kids to feed:-)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Oh yes they are superbright-and very very lovely dogs:-) An excellent breed,in my country they were used a lot by farmers too,for their high intelligence-absolutely wonderful dogs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join