It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inequality: How Wealth Is Distributed In The UK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The following video shows the distribution of wealth throughout the population of the UK:

When will things change, the top 1% control 60% of the wealth. That's worse than American inequality.

I just........I just........

Bring on the revolution!

ALS

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

What kind of "revolution"? You did not specify. Would you like to see everyone that has over a million pounds killed and confiscate their possessions? Or just steal their money and leave them penniless?

Or do you want anyone with more money than you to be robbed? Once all the money is stolen..........er "redistributed", does everyone get an equal amount of the ill-gotten gains............er booty? After all the wealth has been handed out in equal amounts, who is going to create the jobs and pay wages?

Who is going to take the risk of investment and invent something, develop a business, or give a loan? How many people have you employed in your life?

Do you know what a P/E statement is and how to read one? I think not.

I think you have arrived at your proper place in life and the only one you should be pissed at is you.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

People won't revolt the issue is people like myself in the UK earn good money, are well educated and the resession hasn't really hit us. The poor at the bottom are angry but fearful of losing benefits and housing and the rich get richer. It would take starvation or massive clampdowns on freedom to rouse people to act

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The UK is not that bad when it comes to wealth distribution. You can cut the statistics to demonstrate what you like, but for consistencies sake look to the Gini index or coefficient. This metric looks at scoring a nation on its wealth inequalities. en.wikipedia.org... and en.wikipedia.org...

Compared to the UK, there are many nations with significantly worse inequalities.

However, for the UK - why let someone else cut the statistics when you can go and work it out yourself, thus helping prevent Youtube video being the only medium you learn about this subject.

www.hmrc.gov.uk...

Regards

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

What is really sad is that people of the lower and middle class are so desperate that they think when a politician uses the term, "Distribution of Wealth" that they actually believe that these same politicians mean the wealth will trickle down to the bottom..................

In actuality, I think most of us are intelligent enough to realize that it means those whom preach equality, are just setting themselves up to make MORE from those whom are already struggling to survive.

Those in power have an uncanny knowledge of how to use words that originally were meant to be caring, and turned them into the total opposite.
edit on 27-10-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I just want everyone to have the same advantage irrespective of monetary status. I want student loans lowered so that working class families can send there kids to a brighter future.

I want a revolution where monetary status has nothing to do with social status. They can keep there money, I just want the boundaries and "class" constants pulled down!

ALS

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Sounds a lot like Meritocracy! I would be all for it, except for the fact that the political royalty of the world ruling class will NOT allow their power to be taken away from them.......

Feudalism is alive and well. Why can't us serfs realize that to continue voting those whom already control us as our Feudal Lords will do nothing more than to continue our enslavement????

Serious question! As an American I am watching very closely how Hillary Clinton is being propped up as the next Democratic President, as well as watching what isn't being talked about very much how Jeb Bush is getting ready to be the savior of the Republican party.......

Am I nuts, or can't anyone else see the issue of continuing to elect those of a certain blood line to represent us?
edit on 27-10-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I just want everyone to have the same advantage irrespective of monetary status. I want student loans lowered so that working class families can send there kids to a brighter future.

I want a revolution where monetary status has nothing to do with social status. They can keep there money, I just want the boundaries and "class" constants pulled down!

What would you like the student loans lowered to? How much of a pay cut shall the teachers get? If the quality of college education is lowered, people will not know the proper use of the words there, they're and their.

You live in a country with a Monarchy and you think wealth redistribution will stop Class constraints?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

The poor also work full time....I work in LD getting thumped and earn minimum wage, I have about 20 quid a week after all my bills to spend on myself...so I have to put in extra hours If I want anything nice.
The rich poor divide is getting larger and there will be a breaking point, I speak to many people who are close to breaking point because they work and work to try and get something behind them and bang bills go up and they are right back at the bottom again.
Work your way up you will say....can't do it, we can't have 57 managers in my place of work.
All we want is fair pay for a fair days work, thats is fair and thats all we want.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Put a dollar amount on "fair". And who gets to decide what is "fair"?

By what right does anyone have to tell another how to run their own business? You don't think a business is "fair" don't spend money there. Don't work there.

If everyone felt the same, the business would be forced to raise wages because no one would work at current pay. But obviously that is not the case.

"fair" is for kindergarten. Adults know the world is not "fair". Stop using childish thinking.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Here are some suggestions to promote equality in Britain:

1. Reduce taxes. This would stem the flow of money from the relatively poor private sector to the wealthier public sector workers.

2. Remove housing benefit. Land owners don't need higher than market rents.

3. Sell off all council houses worth more than a million dollars. This would make the idle scroungers more equal to their harder working counterparts.

4. Get rid of agricultural subsidies and those for bird-blending windmills. Billionaires don't need hand-outs.

5. Cut public sector pensions by half. Again this would make everyone more equal.

It's easy to promote equality without hurting the productive people, but mysteriously these obvious solutions haven't been tried. Why do you think that is?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

If I had it my way all the children of the UK would have the same level of education from the poorest to the richest. There would be no private schooling, money would not buy your future. Hard work and graft would decide your fate.

Perhaps then everyone would no the difference between there, their and they're. Not just you.

May I ask, why has this issue got your back up?

ALS

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
the only way things will change if people start to work together....communities all working for a common goal...produce our own foods,look after each other,return to forms of bartering....and simply cut out the middle man.....we all know the farmer gets ripped of and the middle man makes the profit...the only way to change things is to starve big business......problem is that big business has conditioned us to take the easy road....IMO why grow your own food when you can drive through at maccas,or ring pizza hut and get a pizza delivered to your door.....

that's just a simplified version obviously to make this work requires a lot more than what I have stated

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Put a dollar amount on "fair". And who gets to decide what is "fair"?

I'll try and propose what is fair;

0% tax on any income under £24,000 (except national insurance, we should all pay that).
Rent freezes.
Raise the minimum wage to £8 an hour.
Cut VAT by half.

I could go on all day.

ALS

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

If I had it my way all the children of the UK would have the same level of education from the poorest to the richest. There would be no private schooling, money would not buy your future. Hard work and graft would decide your fate.

So no one would be allowed to open a private business and run a school for anyone who would want to attend, the government would have a forced monopoly on education? You think that if every child is given the same education there wouldn't be a different level of success in the children?

Perhaps then everyone would no the difference between there, their and they're. Not just you.

Oh I don't KNOW..........

I'm not the only one who knows the English language, but obviously there aren't enough of us. You are a perfect argument FOR private education as the public one has failed you.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I'll try and propose what is fair; 0% tax on any income under £24,000 (except national insurance, we should all pay that). Rent freezes. Raise the minimum wage to £8 an hour. Cut VAT by half. I could go on all day.

Why not just tax anyone who makes more than 50k at 100%, that'll teach 'em.

So if I own a house I can not choose what I want for rent? Who decides what I can charge?

Why not make the min wage 25 pounds, you can't live a happy life on 8.

Why not remove VAT completely?

Oh please do "go on all day"

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

So no one would be allowed to open a private business and run a school for anyone who would want to attend, the government would have a forced monopoly on education? You think that if every child is given the same education there wouldn't be a different level of success in the children?

Everyone would be allowed to open a private business, that is the point. Because everyone would get the same opportunities. The government would have no hand in education, schools perhaps would be run by community professionals. To be honest I can't come up with an entire educational system within an ATS post but the main premise is there.

And of coarse not everyone would succeed, we are all different. For example you are obviously better at spelling and grammar than I am but I am less of a wanker than you are.

ALS
edit on 27-10-2013 by ALOSTSOUL because: For Carreau's benefit.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Carreau

I'll try and propose what is fair; 0% tax on any income under £24,000 (except national insurance, we should all pay that). Rent freezes. Raise the minimum wage to £8 an hour. Cut VAT by half. I could go on all day.

Why not just tax anyone who makes more than 50k at 100%, that'll teach 'em.

So if I own a house I can not choose what I want for rent? Who decides what I can charge?

Why not make the min wage 25 pounds, you can't live a happy life on 8.

Why not remove VAT completely?

Oh please do "go on all day"

Instead of just asking silly questions and being pedantic. Why don't you explain to us why you are so opposed to the distribution of wealth?

Why are you so against measure being put in place to making a more equal, balanced, healthy society?

ALS

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

That's it then, all done except for name calling? You've stopped answering my questions and are ignoring them so I'll end with this. I go back to the beginning, you shouldn't be pissed at people richer than you, smarter than you, or more successful than you, or even me for pointing it all out, but you should only be pissed at yourself.

It's easier to blame other people and things than to look inward but if you did that you wouldn't have posted this thread in the first place. Oh and by the way your "revolution" isn't coming anytime soon. Better work on that CV instead of waiting for the imaginary hand-out your hoping for.

Instead of just asking silly questions and being pedantic. Why don't you explain to us why you are so opposed to the distribution of wealth? Why are you so against measure being put in place to making a more equal, balanced, healthy society?

It's not yours, you don't deserve it, you didn't earn it, and you would just waste it. Distribution of wealth is theft no matter what you call it.
edit on 27-10-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I didn't answer your questions because they were taunts not debate points. It is you who is not answering questions, which is fine that is your right.

I am not "pissed" at myself because I have nothing to be pissed about. I may be poor but I am a very happy (albeit worn out) man.

ALS

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join