It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double Taxation!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
A black box in your car? Some see a source of tax revenueA black box in your car? Some see a source of tax revenueA black box in your car? Some see a source of tax revenue

Are you kidding me? They want to charge us now for every mile that we drive?

Wait a second...dont we already pay a tax on Gasoline? This is getting out of hand, folks. Eventually, we will be working 100% just to pay taxes.

The United States was born out of this type of excessive taxation...and they will try to get this one through while we play Xbox, watch Housewives of New Jersey, and somehow drool over Duck Dynasty.

WASHINGTON — As America's road planners struggle to find the cash to mend a crumbling highway system, many are beginning to see a solution in a little black box that fits neatly by the dashboard of your car.

The devices, which track every mile a motorist drives and transmit that information to bureaucrats, are at the center of a controversial attempt in Washington and state planning offices to overhaul the outdated system for funding America's major roads.

SOURCE

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
So, it would have to have gps as well, so that they know how to distribute your tax dollars.

This doesn't surprise me one bit though with the increase in electric and hybrid cars. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Double taxation? Try triple or quadruple taxation.

Hell you pay taxes all your life, try to set up a nest egg for your family after you pass and they turn around and tax that as well.

My advice though concerning the OP is to buy a older diesel vehicle. They have yet to come up with a economical way of transporting goods over long distances using alternative means. Diesel will be around for quite some time.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Don't buy too old of a diesel engine. The Ultra Low Sulfur fuels now required to be sold play heck on older diesel engines. In fact you may have to add things to the tank like you do with older cars designed to run on leaded gasoline versus unleaded.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Ahabstar
reply to post by TDawgRex

Don't buy too old of a diesel engine. The Ultra Low Sulfur fuels now required to be sold play heck on older diesel engines. In fact you may have to add things to the tank like you do with older cars designed to run on leaded gasoline versus unleaded.

Good point.

Is there a way to make the additive yourself? Or would it just be cheaper to do the old cooking oil conversion? Concerning older gasoline driven cars, I've read that there are companies out there who are producing products, valves, seals, etc, that help eliminate that problem. But I have yet to see any of them that work.

Hmmm...sounds like a question for the gearheads over at the automotive forum.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Actually this is quite logical. I believe the gasoline tax would go away in lieu of this type of system. It's true that the GPS system is less than ideal, but they already know where you are at all times because of your cell phone so that's not such a big issue.

It helps allocate funds to the roads and areas you drive on the most and ensure that people that are driving more are paying more regardless of MPG.

Now, will they find some way to screw it up? Probably….

Just as a side FYI…the gasoline tax hasn't gone up in about 20 years even as costs have skyrocketed. The trust that funds road repairs and projects is also nearly (or possibly now) insolvent.
edit on 27-10-2013 by Esotarious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Esotarious

Actually this is quite logical. I believe the gasoline tax would go away in lieu of this type of system. It's true that the GPS system is less than ideal, but they already know where you are at all times because of your cell phone so that's not such a big issue.

It helps allocate funds to the roads and areas you drive on the most and ensure that people that are driving more are paying more regardless of MPG.

Now, will they find some way to screw it up? Probably….

Just as a side FYI…the gasoline tax hasn't gone up in about 20 years even as costs have skyrocketed. The trust that funds road repairs and projects is also nearly (or possibly now) insolvent.
edit on 27-10-2013 by Esotarious because: (no reason given)

Here is a simplier way to solve the money crisis for roads. Stop giving aid to countries who hate and despise us. Its a very simple and elegant solution. We give so much money away to others when we have problems at home. its not like the world will burn to the ground without foreighn aid. And if they cannot live without it they were not meant to.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
For transportation, got a mountain bike and a backpack. Haven't owned a car in 10 years. Although wouldn't be too surprised if someday the government requires black boxes on bicycles as well. If so, I may consider permanently calibrating the parasitic device with an electromagnetic pulse (EMP).

We're getting to a point where the advantages of technology are being far outweighed by the disadvantages, thanks in part to those who monger fear, seek to control others, and exist solely by collecting taxes, that is our dark and deceptive government.

edit on 27-10-2013 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

seasoul
For transportation, got a mountain bike and a backpack. Haven't owned a car in 10 years. Although wouldn't be too surprised if someday the government requires black boxes for bicycles as well. If so, I may consider permanently calibrating it with an electromagnetic pulse (EMP).

We're getting to a point where the advantages of technology are being outweighed by the disadvantages, thanks in part to those who monger fear and seek to control others, that is the government.

edit on 27-10-2013 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

Here in GA, certain lawmakers had proposed license plates for bicycles, but it appears they have withdrawn that proposal due to public outcry (and rightly so). Talk about taxing people to death, these taxes on practically everything are getting ridiculously out of hand.

Back to the OP: I recall reading about this a couple of months back, and it looks like it IS a replacement to the gasoline tax. I willing to bet that this new tax would create MORE revenue versus the gas tax, otherwise why the hell would they implement it. They always want as much as they can from us.

Policymakers could immediately replace it with a tax of about 1 1/2 cents per mile that could be collected in ways that alleviate privacy concerns, he said.

The existing taxes are 18.4 cents a gallon on gasoline and 24.4 cents on diesel fuel.

At 18 cents a gallon, I can travel ~400 miles on a tank of 15 gallons, that's $2.70. At 1.5 cents a mile, that's 600 cents, or $6.

That's double revenue.

This crap has got to stop.
edit on 27-10-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Here is a simplier way to solve the money crisis for roads. Stop giving aid to countries who hate and despise us. Its a very simple and elegant solution. We give so much money away to others when we have problems at home. its not like the world will burn to the ground without foreighn aid. And if they cannot live without it they were not meant to.

That actually wouldn't solve the issue. There is a big shortfall in funds right now and it will continue to rise rapidly as inflation does. The annual transportation department budget in the United States is roughly 80 Billion dollars.

The amount of foreign aid we send out is anywhere between 25-35 billion depending on if you could the aid we give to foreign militaries. I think people think we give more aid than we really do. I'm not saying that 25-35 billion in aid isn't a lot, because it is, but that budget is about a third of what we spend on domestic transportation maintenance per year.

The person above who is talking about the taxes being 18 cents per gallon of gasoline vs 1.5 cents per mile travelled needs to understand a few things.

1) The 18 cents per gallon tax isn't cutting it. It should have been adjusted for inflation annually to stop from creating the current shortfall. Adjusted for inflation it should currently be 29 cents per gallon.

2) The fuel tax is a relic of a time where we didn't have the technology to track actual use. I don't care if you can get 100 MPG or 10 MPG. That is a variable of consumer choice. What actually matters is how much of the road infrastructure you're using. That variable should always be constant.

I'm all for getting rid of extraneous taxes that don't make sense, but this tax does make sense. Deny ignorance. You can think about it another way….when they don't have the budget to fix the road on the way to your house and you hit a pothole that costs $500 or more to repair your wheel/tire etc. would it have been more cost effective and convenient to have the road be in good condition for yourself and everyone in your area driving on it?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Also, it could be used to track vehicle speed and location. No need for a stop by police, they will just mail you the speeding ticket.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
*beezzer extends a certain digit on his left hand*

I'm buying a horse. Tax that, mother####ers!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I drive up to 120 miles a day to work and back.

What about businesses charging more for goods?

Wow they just keep coming up with job killing ideas.

Way to ffffing go.

Hell lets just lay everybody off in the US.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

beezzer

Did the Beez just throw a gang sign? lol

Methane/Gas Tax???

Oh yeah, they'd tax shoes if enough people started walking, and segways too...

Sidewalk Tax!
edit on 27-10-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

beezzer

Mr. Beezzer, I have to inform you that your equine mode of transportation is unlawful under the licensed methane production act and you obviously don't have a license to produce such a item nor does the equine in question have a license plate. Please appear in court one week from today. Oh, and....we will have to seize your horse in the meantime.

Have a nice day sir.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

We dont need a black box in a car to raise the gas tax by ten cents and we will not be "tolled" for using a road we all pay for.
edit on 27-10-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

beezzer

I'd say buy one anyway. Horses are good critters.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Esotarious

That actually wouldn't solve the issue. There is a big shortfall in funds right now and it will continue to rise rapidly as inflation does. The annual transportation department budget in the United States is roughly 80 Billion dollars.

Funny, Semi trucks alone pay in a little over 90 billion a year in taxes. just having trucks on the road should be enough, problem is; money is spent elsewhere instead of where it belongs.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
The U.S. Government already gets 100% of every single dollar you make. Why not let them get it faster. And it is the truth they do get 100%of the American Economy. They just are not getting it fast enough. Where the hell is 100% of every single American dollar going. Where is 100% of Americas wealth going.

I'm losing it... buttered toast.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I dont know what needs to happen before zombie America wakes up.

But I hope this is it.

Tax tax tax tax tax tax, CUT SPENDING!!! Start with the overseas empire and the Military Industrial Complex.

My guess is that most people will tear these boxes off their cars or do something else to ensure that they wont work.
edit on 28-10-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join