It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse microwave' can chill wine bottles and fizzy drink cans in 45 seconds!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It seems, as usual, some people didn't put any effort into actually researching this thing. It is not a reverse microwave.

Put your soda in the freezer. That is, quite literally, what this device is. The advantage is that, if you put a soda in a freezer cold enough to cool it in 45 seconds, it would freeze the outer layers of the soda and leave the inside warm, which obviously is not what we want when desiring a cold drink. This device basically just spins the bottle so as to mix the contents, allowing it to be put into extremely cold conditions to cool quickly, but also cool EVENLY.

That's really it', they figured out a way to chill fluids more evenly. Which then allows you to chill them quicker. Nothing profound, and most definitely not something you will see featured as a button on your microwave.

It's evidently incredibly easy to mislead a good deal of the people here on ATS....

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter
This is "invention" is silly. It MIGHT have some use in vending machines other than that its not very practical at all.

Not practical when all you need is a short burst of nitrogen gas to do the same thing.

A bottle cooler type container, a small pump and a chamber for N2...insert can or bottle, close lid, release gas into container...wait a few seconds, pump out gas back into it's holding chamber...voila! Instant (nearly instant) freezing cold drinks or food.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Meldionne1

SasquatchHunter

Meldionne1

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

It will become a favorite of commercial kitchens and restaurants. The ability to chill a bottle of Dom before it is served...that is quite nice. Especially if i don' t have to take up space in the walk in (where it is less secure than my wine cellar or liquor closet). But the food safety implications?

Imagine you have a 10 gallon pot of beans. The labor involved in cooling it to the proper temperature within the legally required amount of time to ensure it is safe to eat can be tedious, and a risk fo scalds. To be able to cool it quicker, so it can be transferred into other containers while cool is a very nice touch.

Although a blast chiller does a nice job of a lot of the rapid freeze type of stuff.

I agree, it will become great for restaurants to meet their health codes! ....we used to make gallons of marinara at a time, and it took forever to cool down to the proper temperature . Only when it is cooled are you allowed to put it in the refrigerator, because if it goes In hot it will raise the temp of the fridge and potentailly make all the other food unsafe . So....I can see for restaurants and bars this would work nicely!

You guys are talking about cooling down beans and marinara sauce to then be able to put those foods in a refrigerator?? Seriously? Why would you add an extra step for no reason? It doesn't make sense to use this on something that isn't going to be immediately consumed.

Because...time is money! And when you are paying your restaurant employees by the hour...it is smarter and cheaper to take the extra step.., and get it done quicker! .....cool your food quickly so it can be put away quickly....also, kitchen employees get to go home sooner ...which at the end of a long busy night, everyone wants to go home and get the hell out of there! So they will be happier, too. Plus, you don't run the risk of putting warm food into your refrigerator , raising the temp inside the fridge, and spoiling the current food in the fridge. You are avoiding a food loss scenario. Which also, is money! .....
I'm thinking in a business monetary advantage, while you, my friend , are milking the clock the lazy way.

What your doing is the opposite of thinking. If it was so critical to rapidly cool marinara prep as in your example. Why not put that big ole pot in a tub of ice? Its just not necessary when the stuff cools on its own and you don't have to do anything. Why purchase an expensive piece of equipment just to create an extra useless step? No really think about it this time.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
(?) I got an instant beer cooler years ago that sounds a lot like this - you put in ice and water, set the beer in some rollers, and it spins. You get an ice cold brew in about a minute.

Looks something like this - rotary beer cooler from 2007...

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

James1982

It's evidently incredibly easy to mislead a good deal of the people here on ATS....

Well, in their defense, it's common for any UK newsrag to totally screw up ANY technologically oriented article. Even the Beeb still thinks that GPS receivers send their position to the satellite. I don't know that I've seen ANY technical article in a UK newspaper come out with any lucid information left after the journo-filter.

It's a sad day, but the Daily Fail generally does better than BBC or Telegraph. Which isn't saying much.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

rickymouse
Just hang a six pack from your car mirror and take a ride. It will be cold in minutes at fifty five mph. You could loose it at a stop sign but might make some new friends in the process. Sticking it in front of the car radiator works well also if you already have enough friends.

??? What bum-f*&$ hillbilly town are you from where you can hang beer from your rear-view mirror and not get pulled for a suspected DUI???
New friends???
If your making friends at stop signs because you lost beer that was hanging from your car...I question the quality of your friends...my friend.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

AFewGoodWomen

??? What bum-f*&$ hillbilly town are you from where you can hang beer from your rear-view mirror and not get pulled for a suspected DUI???

Raises hand...I've done that. You get a towel, dip it in water, wrap a couple of brews in it, and put it out the window in the winter. Drive 65 for a few minutes, instant frosty brew.

We don't all live in NYC.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Besides, if the booze is hanging from your mirror, it's not in your guts.

So, it's hard to get a DUI when the booze is still in the can isn't it?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Bedlam

AFewGoodWomen

Raises hand...I've done that. You get a towel, dip it in water, wrap a couple of brews in it, and put it out the window in the winter. Drive 65 for a few minutes, instant frosty brew.

New York City!?!?!
I live in NC...NOrth Carolina...
I moved from NY at 17.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

MysterX
reply to post by Bedlam

Besides, if the booze is hanging from your mirror, it's not in your guts.

So, it's hard to get a DUI when the booze is still in the can isn't it?

Not in my town.
Coptown.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

AFewGoodWomen

New York City!?!?!
I live in NC...NOrth Carolina...
I moved from NY at 17.

Damn. They ought to keep the dossiers more current. That's not the first time, either.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanoidX

I guess I am getting old. We used to do that when I was a teenager, that is back when the drinking age was 18. It was cheaper to get a six pack warm at the store so since we weren't rich this is what we used to do on the way to an outdoor party. As soon as we got out of the city limits, the beer cans went on the mirror. Never lost a can. That was the early seventies, the cops were a lot less strict back then. They would rather have the kids partying out in the woods than have them in town getting into mischief. They would stop by the parties to make sure nobody was getting wild and the seventeen year olds would run in the woods. They told us to tell the kids not to run, the paperwork they would have to fill out when one poked his eyes out on a branch was a lot of work.

Funny thing is that there weren't many kids in trouble or accidents back then. People could have their kids drinking at home or a relatives, including wedding receptions when they were young. This way when they got on their own they knew how to drink responsibly. That didn't work for all kids though, the ones where their parents would get them drunk and laugh at them turned into drunks a lot. I was allowed to drink one or two beers when I was sixteen in an evening on occasion. I always had a summer job and also worked after school in the winters. I always had money from earning it. I actually think we went the wrong way. At one time if you said you were an alcoholic when you got caught drunk driving, you got an easier sentence if you said you were an alcoholic. I was taught that you were responsible for your actions no matter what your condition. That should have been the way they treated this issue, not let people blame their misdeeds on drinking like they did.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

rickymouse
reply to post by HumanoidX

That was the early seventies, the cops were a lot less strict back then.

Yeah, we did it in the late seventies. But it was more likely in most cases that we had a bottle of coke with whisky mixed in, so you didn't have to hide it like a beer.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

I grew up knowing the cops and the judges in my home town along with having charge accounts in local hardware stores when I was fourteen years old.. I had relatives and friends on the police force. I became a business man for many years and was also a foreman for many years. My credit rating is excellent. I know, I am just a bum.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

your NOT thinking about the time involved....when your paying someone by the hour. It takes time to lug ice, fill a bucket, spin the marinara, drain the ice, clean the bucket. For someone who complained about adding one extra step with the reverse microwave,....you just added 7 steps! ( set up the bucket,lug the ice, fill the bucket, spin the marinara, drain the ice, clean the bucket, put it away) Really ? If it take an hour a day to do this, and you pay your employee $12.00 per hour, in a year you will spend over $4,000 on one employee...not to mention if you need 2 employees beacuse you have higher volume customers....it's all about time and money. ..I'm sure people said the dishwasher or the washing machine were a waist of an invention too, because you can do it yourself. ...it's all about time vs money.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

I'm guessing they meant side view mirror. Gonna wrangle the boys and have a old fashion beer drive!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This does not AT ALL look like reverse microwaves...

Don't get me wrong I'm no expert but in all seriousness it seems like this magical "reverse microwave" machine is simply chilling the bottle with simple physics AKA speeding up the cooling process by providing TWO modes of heat transfer rather than just one.

Conduction+convection=faster heat transfer

Bad at forums but heres a quote from their site.

The team found that by rotating the beverage at a certain speed to create a Rankine vortex the carbonated liquid could be mixed without disruption to the bubbles of carbon dioxide. The team also discovered that by simply rotating the beverage the vortex behaved like a solid, with the outer liquid cooling faster than the inner liquid. Tests showed that cooling rates could be improved by collapsing the vortex and then recreating it; this was achieved by a stop start rotational sequence. This pulsed rotation is the essence of the first patent filed by Enviro-Cool (UK) Limited.

Source - www.enviro-cool.co.uk...#/our-technology/4574819483

Oh and if you do not understand the concepts of heat transfer and want to say BUT WAIT ITS NOT HEATING ANYTHING AT ALL. Don't test me.

Maybe they have some super efficient way of keep the cooling medium(*cough* water) at a low temperature. Again practical speculation here I do not own one of these magical devices so I really couldn't tell you what its doing other than from the videos.

To a layman It is a Mini-fridge that keeps water cool and sends a fancy vortex of such water around your beverage cooling it at increased speed.

This same effect can be achieved with a bowl of ice water and your warm beverage. (Add salt for additional cooling effects!) Simply fill bowl with ice and water, add your beverage(unopened) and stir it around for roughly 30 seconds!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

ManOfHart
Now somebody PLEASE make a cloths washing machine that washes and dries cloths in one unit, then I can truly be a happy man.

www.lg.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

3ngin33r
This does not AT ALL look like reverse microwaves...
It's not.

The OP mis-quoted the title of the article which has "reverse microwave" in quotes; the first quote is missing. It's got nothing to do with microwaves or reverse microwaves and thus it ranks as one of the dumbest titles I've seen.

But I guess the intended idea is that it cools stuff faster than alternatives, the way microwaves heat things faster than some alternatives methods, hence the analogy which should at least be in quotes.

Bad typo, OP.

I've got nothing against saving energy so if this will really do that, great. It does seem odd to me that in my local market the chilled beverages usually sell for the same price as the unchilled beverages, even though it costs them more to chill and sell the chilled beverages. If they could price the product accordingly that might solve part of the problem, but I guess there's no technology for the UPC to change its code when the beverage gets chilled, but if that could be solved, a more appropriate pricing structure would probably motivate more people to buy the unchilled beverages if they don't need it chilled right away.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Bedlam

AFewGoodWomen

I guess it depends why you drink... some of us drink strictly to get drunk and the booze being cold really is just annoying when chugging.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join