It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C-130K Retired

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

Hot on the heels of the withdrawal of the VC-10, another veteran of the 1960's was retired from the RAF this week when the final C-130K operations were flown.

The C-130K entered service in 1966 and was an anglicised version of the Hercules, originally intended to be fitted with Rolls Royce Tyne engines in place of its usual Allison's. It was acquired to augment and replace the AW Argosy following the cancellation of the four-Pegasus powered AW 681 V/STOL transport project.

It has largely been supplanted in recent years by the newer C-130J which remains in service and will be joined by the (A400M) Atlas C.1 from next year.

The reason for the apparently high model letter on the C-130K, which was based on the C-130E, is simply that the K designator was used for anglicised versions of US aircraft at that time, as with the Royal Navy's F-4K Phantom and the RAF's abandoned F-111K Merlin.

www.flightglobal.com...
edit on 27-10-2013 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Greetings , the C130 is a fantastic plane to look at , i remember many years ago there was a air show not far from my home i saw a c130 for the first time , i was amazed by how they are able to make it fly , because for me personally it looks like a block of concrete with wings attached.

But the fact that the c130 is being used by many countries proves that it is a great plane.

TheGreazel

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGreazel

I absolutely love the "Dirty Herc"! I've been on plenty of hair raising rides in them. (Also a quite a few jumps). The utility of the aircraft is amazing. I wonder if the structure of these retired aircraft is to fatigued to retro fit them and sell them off.

Your avatar always reminds me of the UAZ that a ODA modified as a off duty project into a "Monster Truck". It looked cool but was unstable as hell. I think I saw that vehicle tipped over more than I saw it upright. LOL

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

There was a great picture of one on its final flight recently. I'll try to find it.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Your avatar always reminds me of the UAZ that a ODA modified as a off duty project into a "Monster Truck". It looked cool but was unstable as hell. I think I saw that vehicle tipped over more than I saw it upright. LOL

Haha , a UAZ monstertruck amazing stuff

new topics

top topics

join