It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MY interesting Houseguest.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I didn't exactly invite her.
But I did leave something inviting for her. apples. Too many apples.
My trees are huge now. And it was a Fruiting year. So I've had lots of visitors.
Mostly small birds. And the California quail. They Roost in the Spruce at night, and pounce on the apples by day.

However. The trees hang over my fence. and due to some wind a couple of weeks ago. I know There were apples everywhere. On both sides of the fence. And if the grass is always greener, I suppose the apples are always sweeter, on the other side of that fence.

So one morning, I mean early around 4 am or so...MY dogs Wanted out. So they were let out.
When they came back in, they were sniffin' , and whining. The little one started barking, and the big one hid behind me.
Yeah, the big one hid behind me.

They were pointing towards what used to be my office upstairs. It's now a storage room.
Pointing at her.

See how she looks like she was just napping, and now just looking at me?
That was her demeanor. Like I disturbed her. This Wiley Coyote.

I believe I legally could have killed her. But why? She wasn't after the dogs. Or me. Though her calmness at my approach worried me a little. No snarling, no backing into a corner. nothing.
Not until I left, and came back with a cane, a broom, and a spray bottle full of water, did she start to get irritated.

And that was my purpose. To make it unpleasant, loud, and irritating to her.

I started with the water..Sprayed it on her face, and her paws. Of course, she liked it. Licked it off her paws.
now the house smelled like wet dog and sagebrush. I started banging the cane on a metal chair. That got her attention. I could tell she hated the sound. SO she crawled deeper into the room. Great!

I poked her a little with the cane. But she kept grabbing it with her mouth and redirecting it.
Started poking her paws, that bothered her too. So now I was getting somewhere..She was irritated.
But still not really scared.

What I ended up doing, was completely rearranging the room, to force safe passage towards the backdoor.
Finally! she followed the literal tunnel track I built, and raced out the door. I saw the direction she headed but lost her in seconds. But I did locate the big divot she dug under my fence. That has been filled in now with stones.

I know these critters can be dangerous under certain circumstances. And I know they are cunning, that they watch, and take advantage of opportunities. That's why they are so successful.

As a matter of fact. I have noticed that there haven't been any cottontails or Jackrabbits around lately. That is, until I chased her away that morning. Now the rabbits are back, the apples are gone. and I think she is too.
The dogs patrol the perimeter every night now. They still remember that exciting morning.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
What Does The Coyote Say? Ding, ding, wait....
I couldn't resist.

I am glad you didn't kill her/him since it wasn't a threat. Most people would have freaked and killed it or called animal control who may have had to kill it. It is odd that it came into the house like that and I probably would have assumed it had rabies because it did. The more we encroach on wildlife territory the more we get stuff like this. I think sometimes they get too used to human activity.

Awesome story though. I would have liked to see it up close myself. It's beautiful!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
On behalf of your visitor, thank you. As you said, she was not a danger to you and being placid had it's rewards.

Nice story, nice work and well thought out.

In another life she could well have been your pet.

P

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

That is too sweet.

I might try the same technique of pot banging and broom poking for all houseguests.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Awesome. Maybe it was looking for a quiet, dry place to hole up and bear young? Can't tell its sex and state from the pic.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

She was beautiful. Damn thing charmed me.
I found myself talking to her, as if she was one of my other dogs..LOL
Wish I had a better pic, but my real camera had a dead battery.

There are lots around the area. But there is plentiful small game, birds, lizards, etc...
I think she just got a taste of those Red delicious apples, and couldn't resist.
I figure she was on the back deck, when the dogs were let out. So she went the other way. Which in this case was into my house.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Her reaction to the water, well I had to laugh...MY dogs and cats have always hated the spray bottle.
And here she's thinking "a nap, AND a drink?" JACKPOT.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Oh yes...I'm keeping 2 sets now. Upstairs and downstairs.
only purpose? Checkout time!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

intrptr

Awesome. Maybe it was looking for a quiet, dry place to hole up and bear young? Can't tell its sex and state from the pic.

Lackadoodads told me it was a she. I did get a good look. And I've seen the males, much larger!
very healthy looking too. Some get mangy, but she had a great coat.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Lackadoodads told me it was a she. I did get a good look. And I've seen the males, much larger!
very healthy looking too. Some get mangy, but she had a great coat.

Yah, she looks healthy.

You ever hear the stories told of coyote females in heat wandering thru town? Her allure attracts the biggest domestic male dog and she leads him out of town into the desert. Right back to the waiting males who set upon the luckless pooch and devour it.

You say you saw the males lurking about?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I have seen males, but not in this time frame. The last one was about a year ago he was out front (where the rabbits eat my lawn). I haven't heard that technique before, but it sure makes sense. They are very intelligent. I could see it in her eyes. I saw a mom and her pups once when I was out fossil hunting. Playing follow the leader.
Some areas of town they are brazen enough to grab small dogs while someone is walking them.

Sometimes they behave in a packlike manner, and sometimes they go solo...I prefer the solo Coyote!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
To me they are just wild dogs and yes can be very dangerous. We think it was a coyote that dislocated our cats shoulder and chewed up her leg, because she came in with wet area around her head as if a big dog or coyote had got her head in its mouth. Quite a long time in a cage, and lots of money to a vet, and now she limps.

But if you have some safegards around, being kind and providing the route out is a good idea.

Wiley the Coyote

Vixen Truro Coyote

edit on 27-10-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Yah, just a heads up. Actually coming into your house and staying still even in your presence is a bit odd. One time I was surrounded by coyotes predawn in Death Valley. They set to howling together so loud I thought I would go deaf. When it stopped I slowly and quietly walked away. One of the most amazing animal encounters I ever witnessed.

The Trickster

Symbolism

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Another story that made me smile.

Thank you and I'm happy that neither of you were hurt. The big dog hiding did make me laugh though.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Sorry about your cat, glad it made it through. I had two cats, and they seemed to make it through coyote territory their whole lives, even being outdoor cats.

Interesting video of WIley. When they made him sing at the end, my dogs found it even more interesting. They hear that sound in the distance sometimes!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Wow, so how did you feel during the encounter? Amazed? scared? a Little of Both?

thanks for those links...I have a recent interest in that kind of thing due to other animal encounters I have had recently.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

LOL, Yeah big bad Leo...He's twice the size of the little one. 50 versus 100 pounds. Maybe he has hand an encounter I didn't know about?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Have 2 as well, and the one is very quick and smart, but our fluffy older cat is the one who got injured. Don't blame coyotes though. Just cautious but still love them. We had older bear cubs wander through our property, right next to the house, early fall as well, which means mom must have been close. My older son just moved inside quick. But...we're now just going to get ready with some non harmful items for the kids that they can have near them, for any future bear or coyote encounters, would never want to harm nature, just keep on our toes about it. Apparently in the Smilkameen, there are many bear sightings and coyotes howl, but they always did in the okanagan too, right near our orchard, and cougars.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
All I ever get to see around the yard is a plump waddling skunk and the local birds, squirrels and cats. LOL

Nice house guest you had there! Maybe it was someone's pet seeing it was so calm around you.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Wow, so how did you feel during the encounter? Amazed? scared? a Little of Both?

Amazed when it happened, scared later.

We slept in Death Valley over night and got up predawn to eat at Stovepipe Wells, a restaurant on the floor of the valley. Even though we arrived before dawn the place was full. I drank enough water the day before to drown and I had to go bad enough that when I discovered there was a line at the head I went outside, crossed the road and wandered out of sight of the lights. It was there while draining it that they started howling. I don't know how many there were I couldn't see them in the dark. But I could hear them all around me. The yelping was so high pitched it hurt my ears. Since I was (busy) I just stood there and finished as they sang.

By the time I was done they had stopped and the silence was deafening. I was swiveling my head looking around but it was pitch dark and I couldn't see them. Then I got that drop in the pit of my stomach fear. At least when they were calling I was mesmerized. Now that they stopped I was wondering why they had come that close in the dark. So I turned and walked slowly back with this knot of fear at the back of my neck the whole way. I was suddenly keenly aware of where I was and that they were king out here and they could have done anything they wanted with me…

When I got back inside I sat down and told my father what had happened and some guy in the booth next to us who overheard leaned over and said, "You're lucky man, they could have killed you". I asked him if he heard them and he said yes the noise was loud, he was wondering what had them all perked up that early in the morning.

Looking back I think they were just waiting there for the trash to be dumped at the restaurant and I wandered into them, silly me. But it was awe inspiring. A lifetime moment.

Thanks for letting me share about the time I was serenaded by coyotes in Death Valley.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join