It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with embedding videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Hey, so I checked out multiple threads about this in the Freshman forum, but couldn't find an answer to my problem. I tried messaging the staff but received no reply, so I'm throwing it out there. I understand the steps inorder to embed. My problem is that all of the icons above the message box are faded out/unclickable. I cant use the youtube icon, underline icon, bolden or any of them. Ideas anyone? Thanks.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Works from this end, all the buttons are clickable.

If you want to embed a video without the button, use the yvid tags.

for example,

[yvid]video-id[/yvid ]

but without the extra space in the last tag before the closed square bracket.

you put the video-ID in the middle, where you'd normally paste it into the yvid box.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Ok thanks I was able to embed without the button. I still can't use any of the icons tho... inorder to underline words, one would just highlight the text and click the icon right? Doesn't work..

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Highlight the text, then hold down control and press c. Then hit the button, and hold control and press v in the empty field. If you are on mac replace control with command I think it is.
edit on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:30:28 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

winofiend
reply to post by Tucket

Works from this end, all the buttons are clickable.

If you want to embed a video without the button, use the yvid tags.

for example,

[yvid]video-id[/yvid ]

but without the extra space in the last tag before the closed square bracket.

you put the video-ID in the middle, where you'd normally paste it into the yvid box.

Related question: Does that work with non-YouTube videos like Google video or others?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

I think it's just youtube. Either that or I couldn't figure out the proper snippet to paste in from google video.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

It's best to tell us which browser you're using and what operating system. Usually having more than one browser installed, you can diagnose problems like this to see if it happens across all browsers you've tried, or just a single browser.

Riffrafter
Related question: Does that work with non-YouTube videos like Google video or others?

No. Only works with YouTube videos. And Google video has been long gone. There used to be a button for Google video as well, but since Google video is no more, so is the button.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Is there a way to embed a non youtube video ?

Using some kind of html code ?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Hey I use explorer on a surface RT. The weird thing is that the first few days on ATS, all those icons actually worked. Then one day the wind changed...

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Quite a few people are having more problems with IE than with Firefox. If you can, try deleting your cookies, cache, history, etc., then see if the buttons come back. Also, make sure your Java and Adobe Flash is up to date.

If that still fails, download and try Firefox. It's a better browser anyway.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

TKDRL
reply to post by Tucket

Highlight the text, then hold down control and press c. Then hit the button, and hold control and press v in the empty field. If you are on mac replace control with command I think it is.
edit on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:30:28 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Hey that doesn't work..no empty field pops up..

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

_BoneZ_
reply to post by Tucket

Quite a few people are having more problems with IE than with Firefox. If you can, try deleting your cookies, cache, history, etc., then see if the buttons come back. Also, make sure your Java and Adobe Flash is up to date.

If that still fails, download and try Firefox. It's a better browser anyway.

K thanks for the help

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Keep us updated, and let us know how you fixed your problem, if you can.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

No. Only works with YouTube videos. And Google video has been long gone. There used to be a button for Google video as well, but since Google video is no more, so is the button.

Thanks. Makes sense since Google owns YouTube anyway they'd fall under the "Redundant Dept of redundancy dept" at Google...

I just couldn't think of another video streaming service off the top of my head. Poor example...

So it sounds like we can easily embed YT vids and for all others we need to link to the page with the vid - correct?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Riffrafter
So it sounds like we can easily embed YT vids and for all others we need to link to the page with the vid - correct?

Correctamundo.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

_BoneZ_

Riffrafter

Correctamundo.

Danke.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Hmmm, for me, I get this weird blank popup that says youtube, and only has an OK button. I hit the OK button, then the empty field pops up. Not sure why that strange first popup happens at all. I assume there must be a reason though lol.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Hey those ideas you suggested didn't work. And I found out that Firefox isn't compatible on a surface RT. This thing pisses me off sometimes.. oh well, at least I can embed videos now..

top topics

join