It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A video and mystery of why Titan's lakes have not had waves ?... some of the latest findings from C

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
www.space.com...

NASA's Cassini space probe is getting an exceptional look at the vast liquid lakes of Titan's north pole, where dense winter clouds are finally retreating thanks to a change in seasons on Saturn's largest moon.

"The view from Cassini's visual and infrared mapping spectrometer gives us a holistic view of an area that we'd only seen in bits and pieces before and at a lower resolution," Jason Barnes, a participating Cassini scientist at the University of Idaho, Moscow, said in a statement. "It turns out that Titan's north pole is even more interesting than we thought, with a complex interplay of liquids in lakes and seas and deposits left from the evaporation of past lakes and seas."

www.space.com...

Titan more closely resembles Earth than any other planet or moon in our solar system, with a dense atmosphere and stable liquids on its surface. But Titan's clouds, lakes and rain are made up of hydrocarbons, such as ethane and methane, rather than water.

For those who cannot view the video there is a slide show (74 pics) that can be viewed @ www.space.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Awesome find. S&f

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

That's a cool video thanks for posting and here's an embed .

I find Titan fascinating and would love to see more of its surface , if only we could build a rover that could survive there .
I look forward to the wave results in 2017 and the head scratching if they aren't observed

edit on 26-10-2013 by gortex because: edit to edit

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I don't see why we can't land a rover on Titan eventually. If we can land a probe, then we should eventually be able to land a Rover. It has an atmosphere that is the closest to Earth's atmosphere in our Solar system, Closer to Earth's atmosphere than even Mars.

Titan's atmosphere consists of nitrogen, just like our World does. However Mars is dominated by co2, Venus as well. Problem is it reaches -289°F on Titan, which is much colder than The Red Planet gets. So taking that into consideration, and the much further distance, these issues could pose some potential road blocks for the time being.

I myself have always been fascinated with Titan. Can you imagine getting images back from a rover that we landed there that showed Saturn setting in the background? I just hope I am alive to see it when and if it ever happens. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
hydrocarbons pose a problem as our crafts use fuel to burn, and this may present a hazard even of there is not enough oxygen in the atmosphere, our engines use liquid oxygen, I see a problem also with several other issues as well. How did a planet contain such an element base? many, many T-rexs?

join