It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents' fury after cops Taser their EIGHT-YEAR-OLD daughter

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

OpenMindedRealist
reply to post by superman2012

By your logic, you can assess the situation no better than I.

This thread is done. Only those who blindly support the police (or don't read all replies) will continue to agree with you.

You can close threads now!?
lol
I'm glad you could follow my logic. Even though you missed the point that I never blindly supported the police. I went by the available evidence. Like I said, if you have hidden evidence to the contrary, don't be shy about presenting it.

Nice try at a straw man though. lol

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
The mom in me is screaming mad reading this... then the logical part asks... What would have been felt had the child actually rammed the knife through her chest if she had not been stopped?

I don't know. Honestly my first thoughts are the raging "mama bear" but extreme mental conditions are not only found in adults. Nobody knew if she could/would do it. I am glad I didn't have to make the decision. And my heart goes out to the child and family.

I understand what you are saying here BUT, the logical part of me can not imagine that an 8 year old has the strength to 'ram a knife through her chest'. Sorry but my medical experience tells me that is VERY unlikely to happen. I'm not saying it is impossible, just unlikely. She could have just as easily fallen on the knife after being tasered. Unless there is video, none of us can say what the situation truly was like. If there was more than one cop, it would seem logical to me for one to distract her while the other came around from behind or the side and grabbed her arm. The thing that boggles the mind is an 8 year old being that depressed.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Why are all you guys bashing these cops? They saved her life. I'd give them a medal.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Klassified
reply to post by seeker1963

reply to post by DeadSeraph

reply to post by bozzchem

You're telling me none of you guys can handle an 8 year old girl with a knife? You would taser her too? Seriously? Wow. I don't mean any disrespect to any of you. But that just blows my mind. A little psychology would have gone a long way here, and would have saved that little girl the extra trauma she didn't need.

edit on 10/24/2013 by Klassified because: correction

exactly.. ~!!!!!! totally agree!!!

and it states..... "OMG it's 4.5" kitchen knife"....kitchen knife? .. would that be a per say a 'steak knife' ? .. or even a hmmmmm....large parring knife..?.. is that from tip to butt-end of the knife or .. just the blade alone ...?

now, 4" is only 4 thumbs long, each thumb knuckle is 1 inch.....a butter knife sitting in my drawer right now it almost 6" long that's just the blade... that was the only knife she could find.. MOST kitchens have 1 or 2 very sharp LARGE knifes that will slice a roast with ease and are usually kept in a knife block, for multiple reason as we know....

and they felt threatened by a .........4.5" blade/knife.........and they were afraid she would take her 'life' .. trust me there's a reason why it's called the breast bone.. LOL .. suicidal .. perhaps...but when that tip doesn't pen the bone in one thrust. it's gonna make you think twice about doing it again ..

wow.. the F***** logic sometimes.. sounds like the cops were more like the 3 stooges ...LMAO !!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

blamethegreys
further info on this story I dredged up:

usnews.nbcnews.com...

Grandpre said the child had the tip of the knife to her chest and then moved toward a hallway that could have taken her out of the officers' sight, posing a potential threat.
When one of the officers approached her, the girl pointed the knife at the officer and then back at herself, Grandpre said. That's when the officer used the Taser, whose prongs lodged in her chest and stomach, Grandpre said.
The girl — who medical personnel said showed no stab wounds on her leg — was observed for a few hours and released to the custody of her parents. The conduct of the officer — who also hasn't been identified — remains under review and he remains on the job.

www.capjournal.com...

Three different reviews have or will be conducted in the case of the Pierre police officer who used his Taser on an 8-year-old girl earlier this month. While a review conducted shortly after the incident determined there was no misuse of force, the Pierre Police Department has requested the state Attorney General’s office also investigate the officer’s response and is assembling a third group to examine the department’s Taser policies.

And finally, an (information-wise) useless video I found on YT:
www.youtube.com...

TY BTG!!!! That's great info. Hearing more of the story, in my opinion, the cop wasn't exactly in the wrong....since there were NO previous stab wounds, on her person, I'm glad she is alive .MAYBE..they could have handled it a different way...Although, I am wondering why the parents/grandparents couldn't handle this child on their own without getting police involved. I'm still wondering if the poor thing is on any meds? Has she previously threatened suicide? At such a young age, it's hard to image she would??? TY AGAIN FOR THE UPDATE👍. ON A SIDE NOTE: I have to listen every morning on the police scanner, literally calling 911 to come get their children out of bed to go to school! EVERYDAY!! Children as young as 5! I'm sorry, in my world, that's poor parenting if you can't get your own 5 year old up for school......
edit on 10/26/13 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

I would add this little tidbit to what you posted...

Tasers are dangerous, and it’s important that cops take this seriously. Without clear training and limitations, officers may use Tasers not because it is appropriate and necessary in a specific situation, but because it is an easy weapon to use and within reach. Tasers should not be the go-to weapon of choice in any and every situation. The risk is simply too great that using a Taser to respond could result in additional trauma, physical injury or even death. A study last year specifically found that sending shocks to the chest – which the police did to this 8-year-old girl – can cause cardiac arrest and sudden death. Simply put, police never should have tased this 8-year-old girl in the chest. Yesterday’s ordeal could have ended much worse for the 8-year-old girl, her family, and the police.

Sourc e

reply to post by Komodo

Indeed. You would think 3 grown men could have handled this situation a little differently.

Maybe this is where the little girl picked up her emotional problems...

The girl's mother, Dawn Stenstrom, said her daughter, who was being supervised by a babysitter that night, was merely playing around with a small paring knife.
"How much harm could she have done?" Stenstrom asked in an interview with the Argus-Leader, adding that the girl had never before had to be physically restrained.

Wow. Does this woman have any maternal instinct?

edit on 10/26/2013 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by blamethegreys

Ya know, I really, REALLY wanted to get outraged as I usually do when I read your OP. HOWEVER, the girl had a knife that she pointed at the police, and it was when she pointed the knife to her OWN CHEST, is when they tasered her..

For once, I have to say they did what they had to, to save a young, disturbed girls life......

Sorry, but can't jump on the cop hating band wagon on this one.....
edit on 24-10-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

I agree.

ON the face of it, it sounds like another typically out of control US police brutality, but when you think about it, the cop could well have saved the little girls life by tasering her.

These things are easy to speculate on after the fact, but remember, irrespective of the girls state of mind at the time, it takes literally a split second to drive a knife into a body.

The cop reasoned (properly IMO) that the safer option for the girl, is immediate incapacitation by taser jolt.

I agree with that assesment, and probably would have done the same thing if i had any notion the girl may have plunged the blade into her own chest.

A quick taser jolt, followed by mental health paediatric help afterwards, versus a young kid acting up with a knife helf against her own body, having already been stabbing her legs with it?

No contest...the kids get a jolt and sorted out after.

He did her a favour.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Evanzsayz
Why are all you guys bashing these cops? They saved her life. I'd give them a medal.

Unfortunately, most people don't think rationally and believe that they are all superheros that can move faster than...well you know.

If anyone can outrun the leads being shot out of a tazer, I will give them my paycheck for the next year.

On ATS, certain people will find fault with the police no matter what the situation. It's sad really.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Tazering an eight year old is messed up.

Tazering an eight year old to keep her from jamming a knife into her chest, SAVING HER LIFE, thats a different story.

I as the cop whould have tried to talk her into not doing it, but maybe she was standing firm on the issue of killing herslef, so he did that for her own good. Im just glad the tazer didnt kill her!

That saved her from plunging the knife into her chest possibly hitting her heart.

Oh and also, what if he was trying to talk her out of it, which Im sure he did in the first place, and she just jammed it in there and knicked her heart and died?

Im sure all you people bashing him, would say "See...YOU SEE HE JUST LET HER DIE! WHY DIDNT HE SAVE HER???!!"

So I think he did the right thing, and a little piece of you thinks the same way. She is alive at the end of the day.
edit on 30-10-2013 by Tylerdurden1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join