It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of Warcraft cost less than 100 million to produce, the ACA is over 500million and doesn't wor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Wasn't sure what forum to put this one in Mods. Feel free to move if you choose.....

I was sitting here thinking of how dumb our government officials are to shell out over 500 million for a simple information gathering program that obviously doesn't work and was wondering as an X Warcraft junkie how much blizzard spent developing the first online version of WOW.

Here is what I found.

Vivendi Universal, publishers of World of Warcraft, recently held a presentation at Wall Street claiming that all franchises will go MMO. That was later dismissed by Blizzard as a misunderstanding. Vivendi also said that World of Warcraft took 4 1/2 years to develop, with a price tag of 50 million Euros, or just over 63 million US$. As of March 2006, WoW has over 6 million paying subscribers, making it the most popular MMORPG ever. It definitely paid off, in every sense.

Source

63 MILLION Dollars!!! Yep! That's it!

Now here we are in the US watching a charade being presented by our politicians over why a website designed to do nothing more than take your information and then GIVE you information back is not working after spending more than 500 million???

Seriously? Playing Wow was not only addictive but fun, and it had tons of different things going on and here is our government trying to BS us into thinking that they just have a few glitches?????

Perhaps they need to talk to Blizzard if they are trying to make money???

Thoughts?
edit on 24-10-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Part of me dares to wonder if it's just a front for something else. Redirection is a classic technique in magic. You convince the audience to look in one place while you do your sleight of hand somewhere else. If such is the case here...we should start thinking really hard about where to look instead.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Part of me dares to wonder if it's just a front for something else. Redirection is a classic technique in magic. You convince the audience to look in one place while you do your sleight of hand somewhere else. If such is the case here...we should start thinking really hard about where to look instead.

I agree!

Honestly, I just think the whole program is not only designed to gather information, but also to just tax the hell out of people while making them think they are actually going to get "Affordable Healthcare" I see nothing affordable about paying a minimum of a 5k deductible along with the monthly payments.

However, as I think back on the fantastic environments and how when playing WOW for the first time that the game reacted to every key board stroke I made flawlessly and also how building your class effected everything you did while playing the game was so magical and addictive, I actually came up with the idea to just do a google on how much the game cost to make in comparison to what our government officials have fleeced the tax payer out of for this fraudulent so called program that CGI came up with as their BEST EFFORT..........

I really don't have words that I can say that fall within T and C to descried the fraud that has been committed against the tax payer by CGI and our government......

I guess I was just trying to figure out a way to put it in perspective to how the government works versus the private sector...... Amazing isn't it?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
How the hell do you spend 500 million on a piece of software?

Are the severs made o gold?!?!?!

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
In reality they probably spent closer to 20 mil and the other 480 mil was deposited in a few off shore bank accounts.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Oh they are made of something, and it may even have 4 letters like Gold....but Gold ain't what those servers turned out to be made of. That can be said with self evident certainty.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

crazyewok

Halito,

I believe the term you are looking for is "embezzlement".
I feel I should point out that even with these $500M ACA centres "non-functional", the chilling effect they put in place over the population is priceless to a corrupt state, regardless of whether it works or not.

-Amitaba-
edit on 24-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 24-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Error

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Of course, back when I used to play sooooo long ago...servers would be down for almost a day every Tuesday just to keep up. Sometimes other days of the week as well. I was in college and it was my most opportune window to play without the girl soon wife around...

I can imagine with all the necessary encryption for HIPA Act privacy and money and what not, the price would be up there. I am not advocating I like that fact.

You have to admit it is still more bang for the buck than the "toilet seats and hammers" the Pentagon bought during the Reagan years...

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

crazyewok

Just a little perspective...
Costs for GTA V are estimated to be well over $250 million(and I'm sure it will cost more when online is fully realized and IF they make a PC version)...but they made that back day one of its release. But I get what you're saying. And just to add...nub nub.
edit on 24-10-2013 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Folks, half a billion ain't squat. More like the tip of the iceberg. One medical records keeping system, for an itsy bitsy segment of the population, will cost more than 25 billion to 'upgrade.' Wait 'til you hear ANYTHING related to the storage of medical records and THEN panic.

Some bean counter somewhere has already figured this out and that's why EVERYONE'S premiums are going through the roof. You need to start hearing about cost caps before you let your guard down on the circus that Obamarama care is.
edit on 24102013 by Snarl because: Damn autocorrect!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
In another thread it was stated that the same company behind this rollout was responsible for the 2 billion gun registry in Canada that never happened, which would lead me to believe that it is more a company that is really good at writing invoices and giving kickbacks, more so than it is at creating functional databases.

It seems they got 93 million, so you can guarantee that money was pissed away...

The same Canadian tech firm tasked with building the troubled Obamacare website also developed software for the Canadian federal gun registry, a project that was ultimately scrapped.

The Obama administration awarded the U.S. subsidiary of CGI Federal a $93.7 million contract to construct the website healthcare.gov

www.guns.com...
edit on 25-10-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

They say 500 million, actually the truth is 500,000 was spent on the website. The other 499.5 million went into the politicians offshore accounts. but they need a conveniet excuse so they say that it cost 500million and that's where the money went. Same thing happened with the apollo moon landing funds, and with a gazillion other programs. It's a big scam.
edit on 25-10-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

I can see a top game costing something like that as the industry is similiar to movies. It not even just the programming now, you have expensive voice actors and marketing and licenceing ect.

But a database program? Unless its got 3d graphics and a voice over from johny depp it shouldny cost more than 100 mil and that being generous.

new topics

top topics

join