It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billion dollar carrier sells for a penny

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Carrier sells for one cent

In a time where financial aid doesn't even cover the cost of tuition, we've sold a carrier for one cent.

That is right, one cent.

What are your thoughts on this ATS?

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I say it falls right in line with all the other dumb ass ideas the government has lately. I can't even fake a shocked face any more at this point.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

oh wow.

I guess I should be shocked....I echo the sentiments of the poster above me. I cant even fake it anymore.

Idiots.

EDIT:
I guess someones buddy is going to retire off this scrap money....I mean really. Nothing but profit. Our tax money into a private business's bank account.

sick. Kill em all.

edit on 10 23 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Im gonna think the amount of effort to tow, dismantle and scrap the thing, is probably ridiculous.

So much so that selling it at that price was to just get rid of it, they did that with a bunch of ships in drydock recently as well.

I think that stealth boat was included in the sale, it actually happens more often than you think.

Maybe we could of sold it to another country who would retrofit it or something, but I don't think we want those puppies in other countries hands.

eta: Its a texas company so bonus job creation, probably a deal made through a senator for his state. I mean what would you rather have them do with a ship thats been decommissioned for 15 years?

A huge taxpayer expense, being given back to an american company, that will create jobs, im not seeing the stupidity or scandal in this...
edit on 23-10-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
One helluva salvage job to take on. I bet it saves the government millions to let the private sector scrap whats left after taking the good stuff.
I'm bummed it is decomm'd to begin with. I love those boats.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

the worlds first supercarrier CV-59, will soon be razor blades and recycled steel, sad, but not new. My question is which division of state from china actually owns it now? in otherwords who got the free stuff, sure in Texas, but who owns the company? Sad to see the old "FID" go.....

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think the Forrestal could have served many purposes in future use. Not least of which, a floating museum which, if placed right, could have made a tidy little profit for whoever ended up handling it. Don't stick it in New York Harbor or Pearl Harbor like the other floating museums which are in SUCH a crowd of BETTER tourist attractions (I wouldn't vacation in NYC to see the Intrepid, sorry) they actually do come to look like a losing proposition. Heck.. Park the thing down in Texas somewhere or..Hey, New Orleans has what for attractions besides a world famous street of bars and great local food outside there? Park it there.

Why chop up a true piece of US history when I really think it could have benefited people some other way?

Hey, here is a great one... How much could it possibly cost to demilitarize one of the old oil burning Carriers like that one and sell it to a joint group of Universities for the most powerful and most advanced Ocean research vessel ever made?

Naww.. Instead of any of that, our warped old Uncle gives it away for a penny. I don't have to ask what is wrong with Washington anymore. I just have to ask what happened to the Forrestal?
edit on 23-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Cars go for about $400 dollars for scrap. This thing is worth way more than the effort it takes to decommission it and salvage it. Someone let someone cut a fat hog.

This is disgusting, we need to stop this gaff and waste of our money we cannot afford it!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

teslahowitzer

the worlds first supercarrier CV-59, will soon be razor blades and recycled steel, sad, but not new. My question is which division of state from china actually owns it now? in otherwords who got the free stuff, sure in Texas, but who owns the company? Sad to see the old "FID" go.....

All Star Metals, L L C
101 Box Car Road
Brownsville, TX 78521 - map
Phone: (956) 838-2110
Web: Allstarmetals.com
Own this Business?
All Star Metals
A privately held company in Brownsville, TX. Is this your company? Claim This Profile
More Details for All Star Metals
Categorized under Ships, our records show it was established in 2003 and incorporated in Texas, current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $20 to 50 million and employs a staff of approximately 50 to 99.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Those would be ideas that made sense... which is why they were not implemented. I can not for the life of me figure out why it takes a ton of folks in DC to make overcomplicated decisions that make no sense when they could hire a lot less with a little more common sense.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

They turned the Oriskany into a reef. You can dive it Wrabbit..Diving Charter

There's a cool slide show of them sinking her.

edit on 10/23/2013 by howmuch4another because: added a pic of the Big O

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The USS Forest Fire! Torched in 1967 by a rocket fired from future Senator John McCain's A-4 Skyhawk.

Subject of a training film seen by many Navy recruits

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

LoneGunMan

Cars go for about $400 dollars for scrap. This thing is worth way more than the effort it takes to decommission it and salvage it. Someone let someone cut a fat hog.

This is disgusting, we need to stop this gaff and waste of our money we cannot afford it!

Its been sitting for 15 years, do you have any idea the kind of maintenance cost involved in keeping a ship that size floating, even a decommissioned one?

Is anyone here familiar with the Sunk Cost Fallacy?

Seem to be falling victim to that here.

Sunk Cost Fallacy

The sunk cost is distinct from economic loss. For example, when a car is purchased, it can subsequently be resold; however, it will probably not be resold for the original purchase price. The economic loss is the difference (including transaction costs). The sum originally paid should not affect any rational future decision-making about the car, regardless of the resale value: if the owner can derive more value from selling the car than not selling it, then it should be sold, regardless of the price paid.

Think Big

Helpful video describing the fallacy and how easy it is for us humans to fall into it.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

when i was in the navy, 86-95,(u.s.s. nimitz, and base police at concord naval weapons station) they used the flight deck film footage of her burning off of vietnam on how NOT to fight a fire in the future. also, back around 87-89, her public affairs officer released a press releas on how she was haunted. one of the most common sightings was of a man in khakis walking the passage ways and when he would turn a corner, he would be gone.

sad to see a grand old lady like her go to the scrap heap. thank you forrestal for your many years of service.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
An update... I found another story with a lot more detail. It appears they DID try the Museum idea. (sigh)

But its rich past and nearly four decades of service are not enough to spare it. The Navy tried to donate the historic ship for use as a memorial or a museum, but no “viable applications” were received.
Source

The article there details the ship's history from it's construction to McCain's little brush with history with the deck fire and then what it's generally been up to since.

The article says the Saratoga and Constellation are in line for the breaker yard next.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

blackthorne
back around 87-89, her public affairs officer released a press releas on how she was haunted. one of the most common sightings was of a man in khakis walking the passage ways and when he would turn a corner, he would be gone.

fascinating. I think naval/marine haunting stories are the creepiest.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

Those would be ideas that made sense... which is why they were not implemented. I can not for the life of me figure out why it takes a ton of folks in DC to make overcomplicated decisions that make no sense when they could hire a lot less with a little more common sense.

I must be smoking something because Im not getting these arguments.

To me, this seems like a rational decision for once, instead of emotionally holding on to the sentimentality of a giant waste of money that we don't need.

Which has been sitting in port sucking maintenance cost, for 15 years, draining the tax payers pockets.

The government finally decides to cut their losses on it, in a manner that helps an american company, which will generate jobs...

I don't see the disaster or problem in this, I honestly and truly don't.

FOr once it looked like a sound fiscal decision was made to me.

ETA: Its kinda appearing like the Gov can't win, I mean how many of us want defense cut? I know I do, they need to be responsible stewards of Tax payer money. So the navy can't have their nice little war icons all lined up and pretty doing Jack for us, except absorbing maintenance cost.

Ive yet to see an argument here that out weights the HUGE cost of keeping this boat.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If I would have known it was going for a penny, I would have rallied ATS members to all buy it! We could put a satellite dish on it, tow it into international waters and create our own ISP! Sort of like SeaLand wanted to do:

Sealand was founded as a sovereign Principality in 1967 in international waters, six miles off the eastern shores of Britain. The history of Sealand is a story of a struggle for liberty. Sealand was founded on the principle that any group of people dissatisfied with the oppressive laws and restrictions of existing nation states may declare independence in any place not claimed to be under the jurisdiction of another sovereign entity. The location chosen was Roughs Tower, an island fortress created in World War II by Britain and subsequently abandoned to the jurisdiction of the High Seas.'

SeaLand

For a while SeaLand was trying to break into the ISP business at one point...

ATS could have their own floating community! We can have Zaph work on getting the runway operational for all the planes

edit on 23-10-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
If I would have known it was going for a penny, I would have rallied ATS members to all buy it! We could put a satellite dish on it, tow it into international waters and create our own ISP! Sort of like SeaLand wanted to do:

Sealand was founded as a sovereign Principality in 1967 in international waters, six miles off the eastern shores of Britain. The history of Sealand is a story of a struggle for liberty. Sealand was founded on the principle that any group of people dissatisfied with the oppressive laws and restrictions of existing nation states may declare independence in any place not claimed to be under the jurisdiction of another sovereign entity. The location chosen was Roughs Tower, an island fortress created in World War II by Britain and subsequently abandoned to the jurisdiction of the High Seas.'

SeaLand

ATS could have their own floating community! We can have Zaph work on getting the runway operational for all the planes

Lol that was the first thing I thought when I heard they scrapped that crazy looking Stealth boat for like 10k or something stupid like that.

... First thought "i can scrounge up 10k"

but sadly it was sold under the rule it be immediately chopped up under Navy supervision.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I am suprised anybody bid on this. The cost to trasport this sucker and all the regulations (like having to cut into 5ft or smaller pieces) etc. makes it hard to see how anybody will see much of a profit off of it. It would have been nice to see as a musuem but I guess the fund raising was not near enough. Well at least it is not costing us anything.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join