It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Charged In Murder Of Danvers High School Teacher

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
If he is being charged as a juvenile and there is sufficient proof that he is the perpetrator (and I am confident there most likely is) then it is a gross miscarriage of justice. Why should he get a vacation for 4 years and then get to live the rest of his life when he deprived her of living hers. I live in the area too, and let me tell you I am sick of seeing all this senseless killing and remorseless murders done by people who have no souls. You want to insinuate I am part of a mob, meh, so be it whatever. At least when there was capital punishment and the justice was swift (not several appeals taking years to resolve), there was an outcome that people could expect to receive in due order. If you know the result of your actions are severe and that you will not easily escape the consequences it kind of acts as a major deterrent for doing such things does it not? I stand by my original statement......if he is found guilty I hope they stick it where it don't shine and break it off.....or have an inmate break it off for them. If he is old enough to murder someone in cold blood then he should be prepared to pay the penalty like an adult, if he did the big boy crime he can do big boy time.

You have a problem with the justice system when people convicted on non-violent crimes spend more time in jail than people that commit murder. Welcome to the world as we live in it fellas and ladies.

edit on 24-10-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: clarification

edit on 24-10-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: grammar

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

It is stupid to be able to and pick and choose which legally defined juvenile get charged as a legally defined juvenile. It should be across the board either way. Either juveniles all get more lenient treatment because they are juveniles, or all face the same penalties as adults.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

TKDRL

It is stupid to be able to and pick and choose which legally defined juvenile get charged as a legally defined juvenile. It should be across the board either way. Either juveniles all get more lenient treatment because they are juveniles, or all face the same penalties as adults.

I agree with you 1000%

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

TKDRL

In cases of violent crime they should be tried as adults in my opinion. You are not telling me that he did not know the result of murder is the finality of death.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Darkphoenix77
You want to insinuate I am part of a mob, meh, so be it whatever. At least when there was capital punishment and the justice was swift (not several appeals taking years to resolve), there was an outcome that people could expect to receive in due order. If you know the result of your actions are severe and that you will not easily escape the consequences it kind of acts as a major deterrent for doing such things does it not?

Actually, no, it really does not. Do you honestly believe that the main reason more people aren't out there murdering, is that the penalties are severe? That's ridiculous. Most people don't murder because they're decent people, for one, and capable of dealing with their problems or emotions in other ways.

Second, a majority of the people who do commit murders (as in, almost all of them) are either:

A- Mentally ill

B- Career Criminals

C- heat-of-the-moment / passion / rage induced killings

The only group harsh penalties has any hope of impacting is the last one. And that is barely, perhaps in a very, very (almost unmentionably) small percentage. People who are in a rage are, by definition, not thinking clearly and are more likely to act impulsively, without regard for consequence. The system even recognizes this, by making "second degree" murder distinct from first.

The mentally ill are incapable of comprehending the consequences. Or unable to imagine the consequences applying to them specifically, or simply don't care, or a number of other things.

Career criminals, by definition, operate with disregard for the law or the severity of punishment. Those who don't have delusions of grandeur, fully realize their career will end in the grave, or in prison-- some even seeing prison as a badge of honor.

Rational people? Well, we're already not killing folks.

If what you say is true, there would have been nearly zero crime back in the days when you could be hung for stealing a pig. But there was tons of it. In fact, they called it "The wild west." (Hint: not because it was tame.)

Anyway, severity of punishment has never been a deterrent. Not for murder, at least. Maybe if you get your hands cut off for stealing or something. But I don't want to live in a society that unbalanced and unjust, either. I'd rather be at minor risk for theft. But that's aside from the point. As a society, we need to focus more on rehabilitation, and especially social services for those mentally ill or unstable people who have not yet been put through the system. That's how we'll get results.

Instead, the system almost seems set up to do the opposite. To de-stabilize people.

All that being said, I also kind of get where the witch-hunt comment comes from. I see that kind of "burn the witch" mob-mentality every single day on ATS and other sites. People presumed guilty from moment one, overly emotional knee-jerk reactions, etc. I can easily see how the Witch Trials happened.

PS-- Salem is a beautiful historical city. Do go if you get the chance. Doubly so if you're into spooky, "witchy" stuff, as Salem is one of those cities that kind of revels in its history.

edit on 24-10-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

TKDRL

It's not as arbitrary as you think. In Massachusetts, at 13 you cannot be charged as a adult, unless the crime is so heinous, the state decides (in very rare cases thankfully) to escalate the 13 year old to adult status. At 14 years old, you can be tried as an adult. The 13-14 age is the transition in the eyes of the law in the state.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

I believe that the penalties for violent crimes are not severe enough, honestly we will just have to agree to disagree. The mentally ill would be exempt from criminal prosecution based on their mental state, explains why so many murderers on advice from their lawyers attempt to plead insanity. Career criminals start somewhere, so if you deal with them harshly the first time they murder you can be sure they will not do it again. Heat of the moment does not matter.....murder is murder, if you commit it you should be aware of the consequences of said action.

Don't think of it as a "mob mentality" as I am not suggesting that we burn people at the stake that we think may one day be murderers, I am not advocating pre-crime justice ala Minority Report. Just saying that those who murder and are in the right frame of mind should be dealt with swiftly and harshly not dragged out over years so they can eventually just be freed.

Been to Salem a couple of times indeed it is, about an hour away from me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join