It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Official Fired for Tweeting Under Fake Name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Reported last night as an exclusive story, this comes out at an interesting time and certainly flushes one major leak from the White House. Is this whole thing just a big game to some of these people? Really, to read his tweets in the source, some are silly but some are absolutely not. Having caught some of this over the past couple years as well...I wouldn't have guessed how it ended.

Jofi Joseph, a director in the non-proliferation section of the National Security Staff at the White House, has been surreptitiously tweeting under the moniker @natsecwonk, a Twitter feed famous inside Washington policy circles since it began in February, 2011 until it was shut down last week. Two administration officials confirmed that the mystery tweeter was Joseph, who has also worked at the State Department and on Capitol Hill for Senators Bob Casey (D-PA) and Joe Biden. Until recently, he was part of the administration's team working on negotiations with Iran.
Source

I don't know which is more amazing here. That it turned out to be someone working in the White House and directly a part of the National Security Staff with negotiations on Iran (among other things) or that it took 2 whole years to find someone doing this while IN that position?

The NSA can hear a wayward phone conversation from half a world away or help track a missile right onto the head of a Chechen commander in an empty field by the cell phone signal alone ...but they can't catch a leak of near mythic proportion for 2 years ....within their own intelligence community structure, inside the offices of the working White House??

Oh goodness... This is a bad sign of things.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wow that's crazy I wonder what some of the post were.. I would have paid better attention had I known it was a true source
edit on 23-10-2013 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

The NSA can hear a wayward phone conversation from half a world away or help track a missile right onto the head of a Chechen commander in an empty field by the cell phone signal alone ...but they can't catch a leak of near mythic proportion for 2 years ....within their own intelligence community structure, inside the offices of the working White House??

Yes, they can do that. I wonder what they were doing around, oh, let's see, 9/11 perhaps.

They need a shift from quantity to quality. Well, they all need to spend time in jail for violations of the Constitution but apart from that, the quantity thing is not working for them or anyone else in the alphabet soup agencies.

P

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

You know whats funny? I was thinking yesterday, I wonder if the NSA keeps an eye on the pres, or others in the white house? I guess this answers my question: No.

That would be the first place I'd look, If I were looking for terrorists, anyway...

S&F.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
S/F

GOod to hear

Wonder what sort of stuff was said? I mean surely other officials are out there twittering, I dont see why not.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
That is pretty incredible as the whole thing goes.

Tweeting right under their noses for 2 years. How the hell can they find terrorists in the desert?

Stunning lack on control within their own walls.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I saw this earlier today from a source that's somewhat suspect. I'm glad Wrabbit put it up.

Here's what my keen eye sees. They're plugging leaks. This is the potential violation ... the previous ones and what Snowden was reporting ... not so much so. There HAS to be something bigger about this person (i.e. communicating stuff to foreign nationals) to have 'em picked up.

If they knew and played this out for two years, they're some dangerous people ... more dangerous than the Clintons.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Obamay's whole cabinet are terrorists and muslim brotherhood - incompetent by design.

Just look at the state our country is in now.

Do we have any foriegn alliances anymore?

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I for one hope that for every leaker busted, ten more start leaking.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Sounds like a load of bull-plop.
A story set out in front of the bus, aka General Petraeus

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Which part do you figure isn't accurate? I've followed some of the leaks off this source myself over time, as I mentioned. That part is absolutely real. He's also been one to toast both sides of the political spectrum and in ways I can well imagine ..he was reminded of as he got a boot in his tail to put him out into the street. Some of what he's tweeted out about those around him has been cutting and vicious on a real personal level. Including Obama's Iranian advisor, of all people to tangle with.

@ Thread

I found a bit more to add to this for those who are interested in knowing more of what this guy has sent out over his time as one of the most infamous leaks around Washington. (Some of the language is raw. Please don't quote or repost what isn't friendly to the boards here. Only a couple of the bunch qualify that way anyway)

NatSecWonk's Best Tweets

Joseph spared hardly anybody, especially people he had worked with.

Of Joe Biden, he commented: “Interesting factoid: Both Tom Donilon and Tony Blinken once worked for Biden. Both of their wives work for the VP today. #incestuous.”

After serving a stint at the State Department, he wrote: “Look, (Republican Rep. Darrell) Issa is an ass, but he's on to something here with the @HillaryClinton whitewash of accountability for Benghazi.”
Source: Politico

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Well, if those are his best tweets, he is not a leaker, he is a bad comedian. How is that grounds for a firing? Sounds like a first amendment violation to me.

Also, what is up with the title? Twitter attack? I am surprised they didn't call it twitter terrorism lmao
edit on Wed, 23 Oct 2013 05:10:15 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It was a real mix... In there though, if you read it carefully, are a couple giving policy analysis of the limitations or even programmed shortcomings of regulation/policy in the process of being made. That isn't as funny as most of his material.

I'd agree, most is a personal insight type context and while very interesting to those of us who really follow names in the news, it's of no real value beyond putting it to the ones he named and amusing the public.

Although, stop for a moment and take state State Department one ...as he had worked there and may well have been in a position to know. That suggests that as a disgruntled ex-White House employee, he may just have more than snarky tweets to share in the future. Time will tell, but the loose nature of security within the White House is disturbing to say the very least. If it's so easily toyed with by staff, then outsiders with bad intent can likely play games back in that haven't been quite this easy before.
edit on 23-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Is this the guy that was discussing how Obama was acting strange and seems to be a "loose cannon", or some such? Like, people around him are beginning to thing he's losing it. Another one was about how Valerie Jarret is the real one running the show (am I remembering this correctly?) and Obama runs EVERYTHING by her. That Michelle is a B**** and treats all her assistants like slaves. How we (many of us) were correct in our thinking that Biden was simply 'insurance'. He's an idiot that does NOTHING and brings NOTHING to the table and is simply tossed meaningless projects, every so often, to keep him froim getting bored and in front of the cameras?

Oh, and that Holder also controls Obama.

Or, maybe that was a dream I had.

edit on 23-10-2013 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Frankly I figure they knew exactly who has been tweeting for quite sometime. Simply let him continue to tweet and hang himself. However, they most likely decided to "catch" him when the impact would cause the greatest effect within the organization. Make an example and everyone else gets inline.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Yup, that's the guy. A good part of what he's leaked has been of the social column or 'inside baseball' variety on the people and personalities we see in the news feeds on a daily basis. It's part of what makes it so interesting, as that extra dimension to people is something I always look for. In some of his observations, it's downright disturbing too.

I'm thinking he has a hard time finding a job writing copy for a small town mayor's office after this. His tweets absolutely burned people across the Administration in a rather even way but, as bad as some of that was? It sounds like a glowing review compared to some of the venom reserved for Palin and Romney's staffers during 2012.

So when the Left throws you out a window ...and the Right is sorry they weren't there to rip away the cushion before landing? I sure hope he saved well and planned his investments. I'm wondering how solid his Wife's job is now too, on the Republican side of politics I believe? What a situation...

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

I remember those statements.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Oh goodness... This is a bad sign of things.

I think what might be confusing you is the idea that this guy was a "leak of epic proportions"? Or a leak at all???

In reading the article...he appears to have centered his tweets on criticizing the Administration?

Surely you can't be suggesting that the NSA should be targeting critics?

The tweets that they felt worthwhile providing for the article???

During his time tweeting under the @natsecwonk name, Joseph openly criticized the policies of his White House bosses and often insulted their intellect and appearance. At different times, he insulted or criticized several top White House and State Department officials, including former National Security Advisor Tom Donilon, Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes, Secretary of State John Kerry, and many many others.

The Daily Beast saved a long record of @natsecwonk's tweets prior to the shutting down of his Twitter feed.

“I'm a fan of Obama, but his continuing reliance and dependence upon a vacuous cipher like Valerie Jarrett concerns me,” he once tweeted.

“Was Huma Abedin wearing beer goggles the night she met Anthony Wiener? Almost as bad a pairing as Samantha Powers and Cass Sunstein ....,” he tweeted on another occasion, insulting a top Clinton aide, a then Congressman, and two White House senior officials in one tweet.

Source: OP Article

So????...The NSA should be hunting WH critics????

Help me out here..
edit on 23-10-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I frequently talk smack about people on both sides of the spectrum, and as far as politicians go that's fine in the political arena, people in the political arena should be held to a standard keeping everything about themselves out in the open. And as far as leakers go, the only time I have a real problem with it is in a military context, people that are working in a military capacity should absolutely keep their mouth shut about anything and everything they see or learn about, in a political arena, the worst you can do is ruin someone's reputation in a military context you are doing something that could potentially cost someone's life that where I myself would personally draw the line. We have different political ideologies in this country and we always will, but protecting that secrecy in our military is absolutely essential, no one has the right to gamble with the lives of our military personnel in that manner.

new topics

top topics

join