It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ocean is broken

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

I watched the videos. They explain visually everything you can't put into words. The final segment on the beach of Hawaii was very striking. The black lava rocks covered with all the broken plastic debris washed up by the ocean. I said the ocean always returns our garbage, and she does.

BT

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Believe_nothing
The ocean is literally the most terrifying place on this planet.

On one hand, a shockingly huge amount of it is unknown, but on the other, it is possibly the biggest reflection of how barbaric and out of touch with nature humanity is.
edit on 23/10/2013 by Believe_nothing because: (no reason given)

I agree completely. We have gotten completely out of touch with nature in many ways.

I can only hope that there are enough of us who understand what is happening and are willing to try to rectify the situation. It may not be accomplished within our lifetimes, of course, but we can begin that transition.

BT

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BearTruth

OMG just read that article. So sad, so depressing, so embarrassing as a human being.

And it's spread out across and in the whole ocean, which is HUGE.

The oceans are the lifeblood of the world. If the world were likened to Christ, this is a full body spectrum crucifixion and for all the wrong reasons, yet again.

This makes me cry like Jesus cried over the corrupted city of Jerusalem.

I hope to God there are NOT any advanced alien species observing our planet. What utter shame!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Kratos40
I just read an article today that the Mitsubishi Corporation (or Group), who buys up the most Bluefin Tuna from the Atlantic and Mediterrenean, is ramping up its frozen storage capacity. They are predicting that the Atlantic Bluefin tuna will be fished out of existence in a few years, so they are planning on gradually selling their inventory at VERY high prices when this occurs.
I almost fell out of my chair when I read this. A huge corporation that is involved in car manufacturing, electronics, financial, mining, pharma...etc., instead of using its pool of engineers and scientists to find a way to conserve this fish, instead is looking at means of how to buy up all the Bluefin tuna, store it, and then turn a huge profit because of market demand.

All I can do is throw my hands up in the air and just walk away. I can't get mad anymore.

its all about the money. *you* want to save money? right? *you* want more money? right?!
each of us wants to survive. and each company wants to survive.

I read once, from a mystic, he says, "in the Angel's heaven home sphere, the greatest happiness an Angel can have is to make all of the angels around her happier than she is"!

just how far is that from our own lives? for every greedy corporation there is your store down the street, owned by a local person, who is out for $$$$, in a not-nice way.

freestone

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Yes, it is shameful. But we have several generations of humanity to blame, not just us. It is we who are becoming aware of what we have done, however, and so it falls to us to begin the clean up in every way we can. At least that is how I feel.

BT

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Rezlooper
Are we really having this discussion? If there are low numbers of fish in the sea, it isn't because of fishing. It's something more natural and dangerous occurring beyond the control of a few million fishermen around the world. There are billions of fish in the sea. I doubt that a few million fishermen can kill off the fish count spread out over the vast amount of oceans. Something like ocean temperature change, dangerous gases, oxygen depletion and such are more likely. We need to stop ignoring these facts and blaming it on something as ridiculous as over-fishing and start accepting the truth that something is happening. Just what it is, you and I may not know for sure, but someone probably does. They're just not sharing yet. Pay attention folks to the amount of fish die-offs occurring on a daily basis around the world. This should alarm you more than the fact that millions of fishermen have families to feed and do what they have to. As far as dumping dead fish back into the sea...what would you rather have them do? At least another fish species gets to eat!

You don't understand "factory ships". They aren't small fishing boats. They are container ship sized fishing vessels that cast out 30 miles of drift net that goes all the way down to the ocean bed. They don't miss a single living creature. But they do discard everything else that is "illegal" to catch and sell simply because it is too small. Too bad they've already killed those creatures through the simple process of netting.

But those rules are made by politicians, not fisherman (they are furious about this as every catch is seen as a gift from God, so throwing good catches away because they are "too small" is really felt like insulting the Lord himself).

www.workboatsinternational.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

Good idea... but we are to many. If we cut out food from the ocean now there simply wouldnt be enough food. You soon cant eat the seaweed either du to toxicity and radiation. And fields are dependant on fertilizer to produce enough carbs. The problem is that you need more fertilizer for each year.

To out it into perspective..... the sea is dead, not broken. We killed it, youll see soon enough. And it will be our downfall.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Good article though some pictures and video from his voyage may have helped in nailing the scope of it home. However, cool stuff and thread none the less.

And when its calculated that leaving it alone will be more Eco friendly then gathering a fleet to clean it up, you know you got a lot of junk and problems out there.

And I quote from that link.

"I asked them why don't we push for a fleet to go and clean up the mess," he said.

"But they said they'd calculated that the environmental damage from burning the fuel to do that job would be worse than just leaving the debris there."

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

br0ker
reply to post by catfishjoe

Good idea... but we are to many. If we cut out food from the ocean now there simply wouldnt be enough food. You soon cant eat the seaweed either du to toxicity and radiation. And fields are dependant on fertilizer to produce enough carbs. The problem is that you need more fertilizer for each year.

To out it into perspective..... the sea is dead, not broken. We killed it, youll see soon enough. And it will be our downfall.

The sea is not dead yet, it is very ill. It is an extremely important part of our cycle of life. It will, after time, cleanse itself, but it will be at our peril, because we don't have the time to wait.

As far as fertilizer for the fields... well, if we properly tended our lands by returning the plant matter to the soil, utilizing the manure from ALL sources to compost, and rotate our crops properly instead of planting the same crops season after season, our soil would be rich with nutrients, the food produced from it would reflect that fact and all animals being nourished from those crops, including us, would be healthier. Also, by not depending on chemical fertilizers and pesticides, we would not be damaging our environment.

And yes, the seaweed and algae of the ocean is toxic, as are all the other forms of sea life. However, they are also a part of the filtration system that cleanses the ocean. We have land plants that can do the same thing. If you look it up, there is an article on the net about the Chernoble situation where they grew sunflowers to absorb the radiation from water thru rhizofiltration. There is still hope.

Sunflowers root out radiation

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

Not surprising in the least, it would be a smart business investment especially if they do go extinct.

And the funny thing is the whole thing is like a plot you would see in a movie, or comic book, or that pinky and the brain would cook up one night. In fact I think there was an episode in futurama were anchovies go extinct and Moms friendly robot company tries to buy out the last can so they can destroy it before anchovies are cloned which would destroy there market in robot oil, as anchovies oil could be used to permanently lubricate robots, unlike there oil. If anchovies were to be left alive and cloned, it would literally put them out of business.

In a way the whole bizarre cartoon plot reminds me of Mitsubishi Corporation scheme to freeze store and ramp up bluefin tuna for when the market reaches its peaks and make a killing in selling its assets. Its literally like a plot you would see out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Saturday Morning Cartoons. That may be where they got this whole plot. Or maybe the cartoons are reflecting what is actually happening in our broken society, just formatted to the future or the past with name changes to protect the guilty. lol

BT

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

stormcell

Rezlooper
Are we really having this discussion? If there are low numbers of fish in the sea, it isn't because of fishing. It's something more natural and dangerous occurring beyond the control of a few million fishermen around the world. There are billions of fish in the sea. I doubt that a few million fishermen can kill off the fish count spread out over the vast amount of oceans. Something like ocean temperature change, dangerous gases, oxygen depletion and such are more likely. We need to stop ignoring these facts and blaming it on something as ridiculous as over-fishing and start accepting the truth that something is happening. Just what it is, you and I may not know for sure, but someone probably does. They're just not sharing yet. Pay attention folks to the amount of fish die-offs occurring on a daily basis around the world. This should alarm you more than the fact that millions of fishermen have families to feed and do what they have to. As far as dumping dead fish back into the sea...what would you rather have them do? At least another fish species gets to eat!

You don't understand "factory ships". They aren't small fishing boats. They are container ship sized fishing vessels that cast out 30 miles of drift net that goes all the way down to the ocean bed. They don't miss a single living creature. But they do discard everything else that is "illegal" to catch and sell simply because it is too small. Too bad they've already killed those creatures through the simple process of netting.

But those rules are made by politicians, not fisherman (they are furious about this as every catch is seen as a gift from God, so throwing good catches away because they are "too small" is really felt like insulting the Lord himself).

www.workboatsinternational.com...

bingo! this person just hit the nail on the head, it's the fishing industry and the NETS which are killing off the whole damn freakcking pacific OCEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11< br />

STOP THEM - NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
STOP FISHING THE OCEAN IN THE WRONG WAY, MANKIND.

best regards,

one among us, on behalf of all fish and the ocean itself. amen.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

National Geographic News May 15, 2003

Only 10 percent of all large fish—both open ocean species including tuna, swordfish, marlin and the large groundfish such as cod, halibut, skates and flounder—are left in the sea, according to research published in today's issue of the scientific journal Nature.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

True true... many problems... we have lost too much...

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I didn't look at this thread sooner because the ocean is like the soul of the planet (to me). It's intensely mysterious and has been the source of profound peace while also being the source of one of the greatest fears I've ever experienced. It never ceases to amaze me how irresponsible people are - how greedy and selfish they can be. And money seems to feed those attributes.

Overfishing - yes lots of waste. People have abundance and waste. When we don't have abundance we can stretch it a long way can't we? Maybe the earths abundance will run out as a way to get us back in line with appreciation and responsibility so we stop gorging ourselves on the riches its given us while tossing out undesirables. Need versus want.

Pollution - huge problem. From crabs with yellow snot running out of them to Fukushima. It's been polluted for a long time, and it's only getting worse exponentially. Why not assume garbage can end up there and be mindful - cutting up things that can get caught around the snout of a fish before tossing them - garbage can even be carried by a bird for miles. Or get on someone if you see them toss garbage - regardless of the size.

What can we do really? We can be stewards or we can be parasites. We can think a little here and there times 8 billion isn't a big deal, and live in denial by diluting personal responsibility. Someone else will always make it better - right? If every single person on this planet changed one bad greed and one bad waste habit would it have an impact? I think so. Will that happen - probably not until it gets even more dire.

Not trying to be defeatist about it. It's just where society has gone and it is sad.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

That sounds like a copout to me. It would only make any sense if we all of a sudden banned all boats and craft from the ocean..... Considering all the ships out there anyway, I highly doubt sending some more out to clean up our mess would be so damaging that it's better to just leave it there.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Yeah, when most people think of fishing, they picture fisherman like the ones that live in my town. Small ten person boats and such, pulling up a few lobster traps. The fishing that is the problem are massive mammoth boats, that are fishing up tons of fish.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

So, what are we? Humans or locusts? Dang, now I've got to apologize to the locusts. We need to raise our consciousness. The whales, dolphins, etc., are waiting...

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Very good points Dianec. We need to be better stewards of our environment and ourselves.

This is doable. It won't be easy. If we shake in our boots because we think an economic "Haircut" by our government "Might" be coming, we should be paralyzed by fear with the realization that environmental payback is "guaranteed"!

BT

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, why not equip every ship in the ocean with sludge filters so as they traverse the seas they actually pick up the muck. They are already used to hauling extremely large loads, reduce the "pay load" a bit and haul the muck out of the sea. Would help solve the problem on the same fuel.

Yes, it would cost, but it would also be saving more than money. Just a thought.

BT
edit on 24-10-2013 by BearTruth because: spelling error

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join