It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the WORST PAIN you've ever felt???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Worst pain I’ve felt... I was 15 and had a very bad reaction to the antibiotic tetracycline. I had double vision and the worst migraine ever imaginable. The canals in the back of my skull that drain the spinal fluid into the spinal cord clogged. I had to endure 5 spinal taps to relieve the pressure in my head. I think I’d rather be shot in the leg with a .22 then ever have a spinal tap again. In my 41 years… that’s the worst pain I’ve ever felt.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Stingray in the foot...whole leg swelled like a balloon. I had a gun and thought
about shooting my foot off, but reasoned I didn't have enough bullets...

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Labour without epidural by far, all 32 hours of it, the contractions though, not the actual delivery which was easy in comparison! But then I have never had kidney stones

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by weirdguy

I can honestly say having had kidney stones before, nothing could compare to this one. The pain was low to the left of my abdomen It came on within 5 mins. No symptoms but in 7 mins I was crawling on the floor. Was carried out of the house and rushed to the ER....I had an 8mm x 9mm stone caught in my ureter!! The ureters are only designed to be stretched by 4mm... For 15 hours even on a dilaudid drip I screamed in agony!! I was in so pain I was later told I rattled the bed rails! Not until I was in the OR and going under did I get relief. The stone was placed back in my kidney and a stent placed in my ureter where it would stay for 7 days. I spent 4 nights in the hospital and 10 days later underwent lithotripsy to break the stone up.

I can only describe that it felt as if I was being cut to pieces from the inside out!! I would not wish this on my worst enemy!!

pax

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

weirdguy
I got kicked in the balls so hard I could barely catch a breath.
I just layed there on the pavement for a long time.

And did you tip her well for her services after? ha ha

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

themove1904
Worse pain i ever felt was the result of a car crash 6 years ago now, 4 pelvic fractures , smashed arm and fracture tibia and fibula, oh and a mild brain injury to boot, family were all sent for as i was bleeding into the pelvis and not thought to make it through the night When they all came in one at a time i figured that it was bad, wife came in last and i asked her straight out what the doctors had said and she was honest with me , told me what they had said,and pleaded with me to fight hard through the night, How do you fight hard lol, well i never slept a wink that's for sure and i prayed to god , and i,m not a religious person, but i asked for help if he was there ,and after around 2 days in intensive care numerous transfusions the bleeding finally stopped. The pain from the time of the crash , getting cut from the car, stretchered to helicopter and transported to the hospital was indescribable , once there and put on a morphine drip things were much better though ,

Wow that's pretty harsh. Ya I read something in popular mechanics the other month that like 40% of accidental death in vehicular. that's too bad. but it's interesting how people turn to God when there life is in danger. I'm sure even atheists start praying when the shtf.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Always been very active and growing up playing sports I've had, sprained ankles, broken wrist(basketball) dislocated shoulder,torn ligament(football), broken jaw(bmx). Bruised everything (boxing/wrestling). I could go on an on.

These types of pain, after you have them so many times its just something you get acclimated to, if you have them enough you dont even need pain killers.

I found out this year there are far worse physical pains.

I developed a condition known as Trigeminal neuralgia. It is by far the worst pain I've ever felt in my life, I wouldn't wish this condition on anyone. It's not a well known condition and its not easy to describe, unless you had it, or know some that has, or have a similar condition. I will just quote the wiki.

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN, or TGN), also known as prosopalgia,[1] suicide disease,[2] or Fothergill's disease[3] is a neuropathic disorder characterized by episodes of intense pain in the face, originating from the trigeminal nerve. The clinical association between TN and hemifacial spasm is the so-called tic douloureux.[4] It has been described as among the most painful conditions known to mankind.[5] It is estimated that 1 in 15,000 or 20,000 people suffer from TN, although the actual figure may be significantly higher due to frequent misdiagnosis. In a majority of cases, TN symptoms begin appearing more frequently over the age of 50, although there have been cases with patients being as young as three years of age. It is more common in females than males.[6

Wiki

edit on 14am14quam312013-10-22T07:06:14-05:000707 by SasquatchHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Interesting thread. I think this emphasizes that we can survive a heck of a lot. In some ways, we humans are a lot tougher than we realize -- until we're forced to realize it!

Physical pain? I originally posted here about an accident I had once but after I'd posted, I saw the post above mine and that TGN condition -- I think I get that sometimes, or something very similar. Same location and all, and it's one of the few pains that almost makes me scream. Thankfully I don't get it often. Until now, I just figured it must be something most people get as part of growing older. (But oddly, I seem to recall I had it more frequently in my 30s than I do now, some 20 years later or so. No idea why.) So, I'll have to follow up on that.

Emotional pain?

That is almost impossible to quantify. Every emotional pain is different. But for me, one of the worst was holding a young woman in my arms after she'd had an accident and I watched her exhale last breath and it rose up into the cold air and was gone.

And so was she.

The pain from that has eased but it still hurts to this very day. Lord, it hurts. Some years ago I wrote about her here on ATS and that eased the pain a little but to tell the truth, that's all it did. It never really goes away.

edit on 22/10/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Physical Pain - In November 2011, I started feeling a dull ache in my neck and shoulder while watching TV. Over the next few days it grew until I found myself in the VA emergency room, completely delirious. They did a STAT MRI on me and found an epidural abscess crushing my spinal cord from the C-6 to the T-4 vertebra, so they had to cut the outer half of those discs away and dig the infection out of the inside of my spinal column. Over the next few weeks, I was gone on morphine and Oxycodon but every now and then, a searing wave of pain (I called them ghost pains because I knew that they were unlike the regular agony I was medicated to deal with) would settle across my upper back and shoulders, and linger for a few minutes while I screamed. The pain meds couldn't touch it, but after the first few weeks or so, it slowly dissipated into the normal throbbing pain that hung on for months.

That ghost pain was like being tortured with a branding iron and I'll never forget how insane it made me. The worst part was that no one knew if it was temporary or not. It was all uncharted territory at the time, and we were all learning from moment to moment. The prospect of that blinding white-hot pain becoming the center of the rest of my life was a legitimate possibility, since that infection had been physically crushing my spinal chord. Bad sh*t.

Emotional Pain - The very first girl I ever fell in love with never fell in love with me. Even so, we remained extremely close for the next 30 years, and basically learned how to be adults from each other. In 2000, I finally realized that being close with her (still) was not helping my own relationships with other women, so I walked off on her for good. The next time I heard anything at all about her was when a friend of mine from back home (the town where she remained after we split) forwarded a local news story about her son's schizophrenia and how it was the reason he beat her to death in the motel room where she and her fiance had been forced to "warehouse" him once he became too dangerous for them to live with. She'd already been dead for two days when I got that link. No one saw the need to inform me, even though everyone I knew, knew that she and I had been elbow to elbow for decades until we'd split over that relationship impasse.

The article was pretty lurid, and the writer had gone for a tabloid feel on the piece - describing in detail her shattered face-skull and how she and that fiance had lived in terror for 6 years before the 6'2" "kid" finally killed her as she brought him food (pasta and roasted red peppers) to the room while her fiance waited outside in the car and refused to take the kid on when he heard the fighting start. It took me five months of kicking her family's ass (none of them wanted to pay anything for her funeral or burial) and raising money online to finally get her out of a freezer and into a proper burial plot, and I don't know what hurt more - the nightmarish nature of her death (and the news media circus it caused in that small area) or the ugliness I ran into with the people who should've been there for her, but just weren't - even to the point of requiring me to come back from out of the past to handle her final arrangements and pay for them.

Going forward, I'm pretty bulletproof. I've lost everything at least twice. Hell, right now - because of the bitch ex-son-in-law I have and his custody battle with my daughter - the State of Indiana won't allow me or my wife to see our grandchildren. We aren't even involved in any of it, but the other grandparents (his parents) have our little babies over all the time. I guess that if you have money enough to hire lawyers to file lies in court, you can have anything you want and hurt as many people as you wish, and for no reason other than because you want to win (and erase a $2000 per month child support judgment that you don't agree with).

Hell, I can't even feel the loss of my grandbabies. I don't know that I can actually feel anything anymore.

edit on 10/22/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm going to have to do some natural remedies to prevent a kidney stones since so many describe it as the worst. Gallbladder stones too since I've heard those are pretty bad.

Mine - childbirth. Then migraine. With the later your expected to get on with your day yet every sense is obscured through it. I feel for people who have those on a regular basis.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I think when i was 16, i was riding my bicycle and hit a bump at some ludicrous speed and landed my balls on the bar. I almost blacked out... pain was soo much i couldn't scream(the real pain), no sound came out, if you can scream, the pain is not much.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I can confirm that the pain of kidney stones is worse than, and feels very similar to, labor. It's worse because unlike labor pain, you don't get a break in between like you do with contractions.

When I was six months pregnant with my second son, I had my first kidney stone. It felt exactly like the back labor (only more constant) I experienced with my first son and I went to the hospital thinking I was about to have a very premature baby. I had four more attacks during that pregnancy. I've not had one since but still live in fear of another attack even four years later. Chances of a subsequent stone increase each passing year, just an FYI.

Kidney stones are no joke.

Second most painful thing for me was natural labor/childbirth. Third, was a ruptured ovarian cyst. Fourth was one particular migraine attack (of more than I can count). I actually went temporarily blind during that one.. It was insane.

Emotionally? That's a tougher question and would take too long to answer.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Broom
Physical pain is preferable to emotional pain any day of the week, and on the weekend too.

No way, I'd do emotional way over physical. Not much phases me just in terms of emotional pain anymore.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I gotta be honest here, this thread is making me dread and fear getting old even more than I already do lol. And I already do fear it quite a lot.
edit on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:20:35 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

beezzer
Physical pain? A bad landing sky-diving. Watching my leg bend in all sort of funny shapes.

Emotional pain? When they canceled Firefly

It wasn't that good

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Dianec
I'm going to have to do some natural remedies to prevent a kidney stones since so many describe it as the worst. Gallbladder stones too since I've heard those are pretty bad.

Mine - childbirth. Then migraine. With the later your expected to get on with your day yet every sense is obscured through it. I feel for people who have those on a regular basis.

how about create a shooter that uses ghost pepers and everclear and call it a "kidney stone attack" ? That way you can try before you buy

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I had broken my arm (forearm - compound fracture). I thought that hurt at the time. But then I deep scratched my cornea. It felt like someone was extinguishing a cig in my eye.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
How about we all get together and have a kidney stone attack party. Were we all meetup and pass kidney stones together? It might be a new enjoyable pass time? ;-p No get real, there not that bad. There's far worse out there.

Actually after reading your posts I don't feel so bad anymore about anything. Talk about painful experiences! Wow you guys have had it rough ouch!. I don't feel so bad anymore.

This guy must have a tough life in some ways..

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

TKDRL
I gotta be honest here, this thread is making me dread and fear getting old even more than I already do lol. And I already do fear it quite a lot.
edit on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:20:35 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

I think you can go without pain for your whole life. Just that when you get old a lot of issues start to arrise from what I hear.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Childbirth and cracked wisdom tooth (the nerve slipped up into the crack)...when I had the first girl I had no pain meds..the second I went in a little early and got drugged up big time
What was I thinking going without pain meds?
I don't know HOW women did it throughout history..especially, if there were any complications or long labor..I feel sorry for them..at least my labor and childbirth was very quick 4 hours from start to finish.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join