It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown Glowing Light In Evening Western Sky - Starship?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I know mars looks red and Venus looks blue to me. Or very light blue almost white. They don't pulse though. Planets don't flicker only stars do.

Right. I said it could be Arcturus, which is a reddish-orange star that is often seen in the western sky, and is often relatively low on the horizon, which can add to the twinkling effect (lower in the sky means it is viewed through a greater amount of distorting atmosphere). You can find Arcturus by following the arc of the handle of the Big Dipper (the old astronomer's adage is "Follow the Arc to Arcturus").

And actually planets CAN scintillate/twinkle, but the effect is not nearly as noticeable as with stars. The reason for the apparent twinkling of stars is due to the fact that they are so far away that they are in essence a single point light source coming through the atmosphere. The distortion effects of the atmosphere is much greater on a single point of light coming from far away stars than the atmospheric distortion of the light from planets -- which are much closer and look relatively large from earth. Due to a planets' relatively large size when seen from earth, a planet is much more that a single point light source when it reaches our eye; its light source is spread out, so the twinkling effect gets "averaged out" or basically "cancelled out" by the larger area of light source.

edit on 10/22/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
In the article at the website www.in5d.com... Gregg Prescott of Sarasota FL reports that he saw this object at around 8 pm Eastern Daylight Time. He says it was roughly halfway along a line between Saturn and Arcturus, quite low in the sky, and nearly due West. Since Arcturus does not appear to be above the horizon at 8 p.m., having already set, I suspect that he made an error in the time.
I intend to watch tonight and see if anything unusual is visible in the stated location. According to my newspaper Saturn sets tonight at 7:06 p.m., only 53 minutes after sunset. Saturn and Arcturus, being quite bright, may be visible in the twilight, given an unobstructed Western horizon. The object Mr. Prescott says he saw would also have to be quite bright to appear under these conditions.

edit on 22-10-2013 by Ross 54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Ok someone who has clear sky please go outside and see if this object is there. We have been getting bombed with chemtrails for 3 days now here in Cleveland and I cannot see the West sky now that there is attention being focused as usual Chem trails to the rescue for the scum. I heard the moon flipped over too check that as well ha ha.
edit on 22-10-2013 by dntwastetime because: edit

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by eternity4us

I don't mean to burst anyones bubble, but for a little less than a month jupiter has been visible in the western sky late night early morning, and it's been mighty bright.

This sounds like the candidate object to me.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Observed the Western sky this evening. Venus bright in the Southwest. Saturn not seen, presumably because it set, just after 7 p.m., before the sky was dark enough for it to be seen. Arcturus, reddish and flickering in many colors, low in the West, had set by 8 p.m. Nothing out of the ordinary noticed in the sky.
In any case, Mr. Prescott described an object midway on a line drawn between Saturn and Arcturus, seen at around 8 p.m. Even if he made a mistake, and meant 7 p.m. instead of 8, what he described does not appear possible. At 7, the first of his reference points was not visible. If he meant 9 p.m., instead of 8, both his reference points would be missing from the sky.
I suspect he may have been mistaken about the direction in which he was facing. He might have seen the stars Vega and Altair in the Southwest, mistaking then for Arcturus and Saturn, and seen the star Alberio, the head of Cygnus the Swan, between them, under turbulent atmospheric conditions, which made it flicker in many colors.
edit on 22-10-2013 by Ross 54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Yeah, definitely! I have it on my tab too, I just happened to have my phone on me when I went outside. You'll probably get to see more space (lol literally) on a tab.
Just get it from the Google Play Store.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join