It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being able to go to 20 years in Earths past?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Regarding time travel, this has got me thinking.
As you know, if you look at the stars and planets for say 20 light years away, you are looking at the past as it takes 20 years for the light to reach us.
What if you were able to travel there in a split second and looked at the Earth form a telescope, you would see the Earth 20 years in the past it takes for the light to reach us.
Now say you were again able to go there in another split second, would you be able to go back in Earths past by 20 years?
Anyone any thoughts if this would be possible?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You wouldn't travel back in time. You would indeed see Earth as 20 years ago if you look it at 20 light years away, but if you travel back to Earth, you would see it as now.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
That is "sort of" the idea behind using a wormhole as a time travel device.

Step 1:
Create wormhole

Step 2:
Take one end far away, and back, at relativistic speeds.
Due to time dilation, you now have a wormhole with one end in the present and one in the future.

Step 3:
Traverse wormhole to move from present -> future or from future -> present.

Unfortunately we don't know how to do Step 1, or if it is even possible in the real world.
If it was, we don't know how to keep it stable in order to traverse it.
If we could do those 2 things, you would never be able to go back into the past to a time before the wormhole was created (one end only works in the present, not the past). But presumably you could always go back as far as that, or as far into the future, for as long as the wormhole remains intact.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I think you are asking how quantum teleportation works with time.

A photon is paired with a photon here, at home. It is sent into the universe to do its thing, and along the way gets caught inside the event horizon of a black hole.

How does the photon here on Earth react? What effect does its pairing have on the photon within the black hole?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

You need to have a faster than light speed to see the difference.

On Earth Looking at Planet X which is 20 light years away, which means, you are looking at planet's past but in reality the planet is already 20 yrs older. if you go to the planet, it will be older by 20 yrs.

Same with earth, if you go to the planet and look at earth, you will see earth's 20 yrs image but when you travel to earth, it will be 20 yrs older.
edit on 10/21/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Relive the 80's? No fricken way. They sucked bad enough the first time.

ETA- Bad math. The 90's were OK.
edit on 21-10-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Nope not possible at all. One can not simply go back into time imo. From what you stated OP if we were able to go back to Earth in a split the that means we have figured out speeds faster than light which would put us on Earth as present time.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

luciddream

You need to have a faster than light speed to see the difference.

On Earth Looking at Planet X which is 20 light years away, which means, you are looking at planet's past but in reality the planet is already 20 yrs older. if you go to the planet, it will be older by 20 yrs.

Same with earth, if you go to the planet and look at earth, you will see earth's 20 yrs image but when you travel to earth, it will be 20 yrs older.
edit on 10/21/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

Yep very true...If we were able to see a baby for instance projected to us 20 light years away and we were able to head back to Earth in a split second then that baby would be 20 years old.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Faster than light is really on a theory, what if it was possible to to this?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ok I'm doing some thinking here and that can be quite scary sometimes but I see what you are getting at here OP. But I'll break it down based on my previous post of a baby.
1) I am on Earth today at this present time slot with Frank who is 20 years old.
2) I then port my way to, we'll just say Nibiru for #s and giggles, which with our technology takes us less than 1 second.
3) I am now aboard Nibiru. I spend 5 minutes on Nibiru and I see a projection of a newborn named Frank who at this time was just born.
4) I then transport back to Earth in less than a second. Frank is stil 20 years old. The round trip took 5 minutes so the time on Earth does not change. 5 minutes is still 5 minutes.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

All you will be doing is get there fast.. meaning... you will get there very close to the 20 yr mark.... like 20.0000000001 yrs.

What you can't do is go to the past, because when you saw the planet's image, the 20yrs is already passed, its done, from this point all you can do is reach the planet close to the 20 yr mark.

The image is after image of what has been done...it cant be reversed.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

I think you are asking how quantum teleportation works with time.

A photon is paired with a photon here, at home. It is sent into the universe to do its thing, and along the way gets caught inside the event horizon of a black hole.

How does the photon here on Earth react? What effect does its pairing have on the photon within the black hole?

Entanglement... hell of a concept and a mind bender.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Relive the 80's? No fricken way. They sucked bad enough the first time.

Too true, by and large they were truly awful.
Any excuse to post a Vaselines tune.

www.songlyrics.com...

ETA- Bad math. The 90's were OK.

Indeed. The 90's and the Noughties were great times.

As for this thread; I only read it because the OP posts some interesting stuff, many of the replies have made my brain hurt and I'm a bit confused.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Just read some of the replies and what if, what if I am right though?
It's a thought I have always had and even tonight when I put the dog out, I looked up at the stars and thought about it again.
So many past things that man was told couldn't happen have done. Like breaking the sound barrier, going to the moon, etc etc
The plot thickens.........

top topics

join